Cumberland Gap vs. Claiborne

CGALUM07

First of all not my first post just first post under this title. Like I said I do not have a dog in the fight but I have lived in this area for the last 8 years and I do know football. I really do not think C.G. has ever hit anyone in the mouth with there style of football if your looking for that you might need to cross through the tunnel. And for the Shipley coaches the last time I checked they do not have any eligibility left in there high school careers. Also the last time I checked Claiborne has some coaches also. Not to mention what was the shipley's record at chs. All I am saying you can call up Lou Holtz and see if he wants to help C.G and it is not going to matter after friday night. And yea C.G does have an advantage over chs but I think these group of kids at claiborne now has lost to C.G. in football except last year because I know the middle school team as never been beaten by C.G since the new school was built.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, were going all out on our first ever post arent we? I can agree with you that CG lost alot of players and Claiborne shouldve won that game last year, but they didnt. They played great up until CG decided to hit them in the mouth and they layed down. When you get up on a team like they did on CG last year you gotta keep pouring it on and not put it in neutral and CHOKE like that. And no one should be comparing the Claiborne-Chuckey Doak score to the CG- Chuckey Doak score because different teams match up better than others. Now, yes our fans are predicting with their hearts because thats what this young CG team plays with is heart. They might not have all their ducks in a row right now but believe me they will come friday night if the Shipley coaches have anything to do with it because they used to coach Claiborne and nothing would make them happier than to leave with ANOTHER win over the boys across the river under their belt. The series has been dominated by CG so where you are getting that Claiborne is going to win the next four or five years i dont know but you need to check the past because its always an indicator of the future. CG 4-1 in this series since it became Panthers vs. Bulldogs!

Claiborne has great leadership on the team this year, combined with talent and their quickness it probably wouldn't be a close game except for the rivialary. CHS 17 CG 14 In a close one till the final buzzer. Watch out for the Claiborne defense in the 4th quarter!

I will agree with you panther . this is a huge rivalry and it might be a close game just like last year when evryone thought the panthers would win huge. All I am trying to say to the others is do not get your hopes up because I have seen all of these kids play all different sports for a long time and I know what C.G. is up against.

You gotta love rivalries and how everyone likes to get involved in them. Even those that don't have a dog in the fight. Kids grow and get better from middle school so that has nothing to do with the game on Friday. The fact that CG is 4-1 in the series has nothing to do with Friday. All that matters Friday is which team will be more prepared and which team executes on both side of the ball. I'm goin with CG because they are at home and I'm a CG fan. Plain and simple. Of course I'm gonna say they'll win. Oh and Bobcat, if you don't like the style of ball CG plays and prefer the "smashmouth" style across the tunnel, then go watch them.

CG-28

CHS-14

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Veerman I was just responding to I think it was cgfan on when he said cg hit chs in the mouth i was at the game and i really did not see that. So if he wants to use the term smashmouth then use it correctly I really do not think the spread offense has ever been described that way or maybe he was talking about there defense who gave up 35 points to abunch of soph. anyway i was just trying to stand up for these guys over here. It seems these people are very humble over here all of my life i grew up in kentucky but had friends over here. powell valley or cg has always been the laughing stock of the area and always will. they like to think they play football but you really dont until you get a ring stop calling yourself smashmouth football.

Veerman I was just responding to I think it was cgfan on when he said cg hit chs in the mouth i was at the game and i really did not see that. So if he wants to use the term smashmouth then use it correctly I really do not think the spread offense has ever been described that way or maybe he was talking about there defense who gave up 35 points to abunch of soph. anyway i was just trying to stand up for these guys over here. It seems these people are very humble over here all of my life i grew up in kentucky but had friends over here. powell valley or cg has always been the laughing stock of the area and always will. they like to think they play football but you really dont until you get a ring stop calling yourself smashmouth football.

Ok...I'm not trying to start arguments. Never have, never will. I pull for my team and give them the benefit of the doubt in every game they play. You cheer for yours, I'll cheer for mine, but don't disrespect. These kids work just as hard as any other team around.

I agree veerman I myself am not trying to start an argument. I was just responding to cgalum about claiborne and there kids quiting last year or whatever he was trying to say about last year's game. I enjoy watching all kinds of football games if it's bell, middlesboro, claiborne or c.g. i am just a fan. not to mention i am good friends with coaches at both schools of claiborne and gap. I have known claiborne's D.C. for along time and he is a very good coach. Matter of fact the only time claiborne beat c.g. he was part of the scheme that held c.g. spread to 6 points. I also know the shipley's they are good friends of mine as well. They also are good coaches but coaches can only do so much with what they have that is all I was trying to say.

I agree veerman I myself am not trying to start an argument. I was just responding to cgalum about claiborne and there kids quiting last year or whatever he was trying to say about last year's game. I enjoy watching all kinds of football games if it's bell, middlesboro, claiborne or c.g. i am just a fan. not to mention i am good friends with coaches at both schools of claiborne and gap. I have known claiborne's D.C. for along time and he is a very good coach. Matter of fact the only time claiborne beat c.g. he was part of the scheme that held c.g. spread to 6 points. I also know the shipley's they are good friends of mine as well. They also are good coaches but coaches can only do so much with what they have that is all I was trying to say.

Point taken and confirmed sir! My apologies for getting stirred up over nothing! It's just sometimes, well a lot of times, Cg gets disrespected for their style of play and the region they play and etc. etc. They run that offense to compete, because quite frankly if they tried to line up in a full house or I formation every play they probably would go 3-7 every year. They've had some rough years in the spread, but that's usually because of the level of talent they have at that point in time. I agree, CG isn't "smashmouth", simply for the fact that they don't line up and blow you off the ball every play. I think the correct term would be physical. Because I do think they are a physical spread team. They can run the ball when they need to. So to correct cgalum...the better term would be physical. As far as last year goes, it was last year and there are a lot of new faces on both teams. ANYWAY....I guess where I'm trying to go with this is, it's gonna be a great ballgame, a great rivalry game, and both teams will give everything they got to win it!! So once again bobcat, my apologies for taking offense to your comment. It was unwarranted. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Have a great game Friday boys, I'll be there rooting hard!!!!!!!!

CG-28

CHS-14

Go Panthers!!!!!!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Looks like theres been alot of talk about this since this morning. Yea ok my term "smashmouth" was not the most correct term to use but these boys arent your typical spread team. They are bigger more "physical" boys than what the spread offense usually calls for. And im glad that you bobcat have gotten yourself a state ring or whatever you said about it, but wasnt that like in 1992? Lets not live too far in the past boys. And i hope that its a nail biter right down to the end, but i still think no matter if its close or a blowout CG is gonna come out on top, just my opinion. Oh, and lets leave the 7th & 8th grade teams out of it, they are kids and the past two years against claiborne it was close til the end(i wont mention the horrible call at the end of this years game) but thats beside the point so seriously lay off the 7th & 8th. Anyway its gonna be a good one, hopefully it will be a "physical" game.

GO PANTHERS!!!

I totaly agree with you veerman about the spread offense making c.g. a good football team. That's really what's good about that offense the last 10 or so years it has given teams who may not have had a chance against some teams to compete. I hope tp see a close game friday also and I have yet to make a prediction so here goes. I believe this will be a defense game with claiborne winning 14 to 6. however if the fusion kid does not play c.g. could very well win. I heard he hurt his knee in the union co. game and may not play. And as far as cgalum talking about my bell co. days yes I do have a ring and maybe i should not live in the past but a state championship only comes around once in a life time unless you are maryville. and by the way it was 91 not 92. so good luck to both clubs and there fans may the best team win.