Pigeon Forge

pf1fan

Different coaches have different approaches and what works for one will not work for them all. Tom Landry and Bud Grant did not strike fear in their players. In fact it was just the opposite, They took the time to develop a solid relationship with their players and their players would run through walls for them. Same can be said of Tony Dungy.

Athletes have changed over the years because society and parents have changed over the years. Coach's throwing temper tantrums on sidelines or pointing out the genetic "shortcomings" of moms and dads. You could get away with that comment many years ago. Today, those same dadsy's would be lined up at the door demanding your job.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sat back and watched this program fall farther and farther down and I have to find somewhere to vent my anger. Friday night against carter, I saw the head coach screamming at a player and then take his hat off and hit the player inthe helmet as hard as he could. I hope the principal does not think this is acceptable and I hope the childs parents have called the school today. That is just unaccaptable behavior from a adult that is in charge of fifty or more boys. I also think the play calling is terrible in the two games that I have been to. It seems as though the other teams know exactly where the ball is going. I thought about calling the school myself but I just really do not wanbt to get involved.

THIS has been one of PFHS's main problems!! This isn't the only time at PFHS that a coach has gotten onto a player a little harder and then heard about it from people without a clue. I REALLY hope that coacht is as far as this NON-issue goes for the team's sake. These coaches (who are also teachers) are spending more time with these kids than the parents are (at school all day then practice) so when players miss an assignment, or make mistakes that have tried to have been corrected, or BACK TALK a coach,then yeah, I say they have the right let the kid know they screwed up. Abuse is one thing, but getting your widdle feewins' hurt is just going to happen. Guess what, you screw up at work you get fired, you break the law you go to jail, and if you mess up in football or BACK TALK the coach you get yelled at. It's called consequences ladies, its part of life and the real world...got to get ready for it sometime!!!! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Sorry for the novel

Different coaches have different approaches and what works for one will not work for them all. Tom Landry and Bud Grant did not strike fear in their players. In fact it was just the opposite, They took the time to develop a solid relationship with their players and their players would run through walls for them. Same can be said of Tony Dungy.

Athletes have changed over the years because society and parents have changed over the years. Coach's throwing temper tantrums on sidelines or pointing out the genetic "shortcomings" of moms and dads. You could get away with that comment many years ago. Today, those same dadsy's would be lined up at the door demanding your job.

Well lets all build a big fire, hold hands, and sing feel good songs then maybe we can develop good players with respect for their coaches that way. Give me a break! Coaches are paid to win games, if they do not win they do not feed their families, and this is very evident at PF, they have gone through so many coaches trying to find a "winner" when all the parents want is someone who will play their kid and make sure JR looks good on Friday night, when something goes wrong JR's parents are at the principal's office on Monday demanding that the coach be fired. You people are a joke, sadly the true PF football fans will have to hope that one day the money will quit talking in that community and they will let the COACH do what hes paid to do. The biggest reason that the kids of any program do not respect their coaches is because they hear dear ole dad run the coaches down at home, not exactly the message that they should be sending. Do you think that either of the other county coaches are worried about not being respected by their players? I'll answer for and just tell you NO. Until the community quits whinning and crying and just accepts the fact that building a HS program is ALOT tougher that building a little league program and they just let the HS coaches coach and not backdoor them at home, the situation will never get better. Trust me I've seen it up-close and personal! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Boy, Splitback thought my post was the best ever, but I think these last two posts were AWESOME! Again, I played high school ball in a different day and time, but I know how parents can be these days. NOT ALL parents mind you, but some of them for sure. I just think that sometimes parents try to be friends rather than parents and this leads to problems. My parents cared alot for me, but they also taught me that life is tough and that I didn't always get my way in this world. But all this being said, I hope that PF gets things worked out.

bigbluelb36s, I would not suggest building a big fire and holding hands. Too much liability involved. Someone could fall in the fire (lawsuit) or someone may hold hands too tightly and give that other person the wrong impression, which could lead to a harassment law suit.

Different coaches have different methods. All athletes are motivated by different factors. Each Coach needs to find out and use what works for them. Good Coaches are the ones that adapt and change to the needs of their team and athletes and the ones that do not don't last long in the profession.

As far as coaches being paid for wins and losses. I thought high school coaches first priority was to teach the subject they were hired to teach. Maybe thats a problem that needs to be addressed.

Beefinthebox, I agree with you on many things you mentioned. I know my high school coach would not tolerate any back talk. If he stated something to you, corrected you, then all he wanted to hear was a yes sir or yes coach. He was also willing to listen.

Coach's get to much blame and not enough credit. Teachers and Coaches do spend alot of time with our kids.

Discipline is a huge problem with the program and I have a hard time saying that, because that is the biggest part of the game in my mind. When Lee hit that kid with his perfectly good hat, he was running his mouth saying that he wasn't in the wrong when HE ran the wrong route. That is the biggest thing we coach right now with the pee wee's is discipline and respect. Sure we will yell and scream during a game and especially during practice, but they know why we do it and that we still love all of em like they are our own. Coach Jim (Whaley) had the exact same approach in the glory days of Pigeon Forge's little league program and Jimbo who is the head man now uses the same approach as do I. It's amazing how things have changed in such a short amount of time, if we ever acted like some of these brats do now the ole knothole would be yanked into our backsides without any hesitation.

bigbluelb36s, I would not suggest building a big fire and holding hands. Too much liability involved. Someone could fall in the fire (lawsuit) or someone may hold hands too tightly and give that other person the wrong impression, which could lead to a harassment law suit.

Different coaches have different methods. All athletes are motivated by different factors. Each Coach needs to find out and use what works for them. Good Coaches are the ones that adapt and change to the needs of their team and athletes and the ones that do not don't last long in the profession.

As far as coaches being paid for wins and losses. I thought high school coaches first priority was to teach the subject they were hired to teach. Maybe thats a problem that needs to be addressed.

Yeah HS coaches are hired to teach a subject, FOOTBALL, I'm sure that when Maryville hired Quarles the first thing they thought was "man what a great hire, hes one of the best young Driver's ED teachers in the state!" Come on, coaches are hired to win period! You know it and I know it, if you think different you are sadly mistaken, and if that is the case maybe we should do what Texas and California do and hire football coaches, not make them teach a subject, that way they can worry more about winning and then maybe if that coach wasnt successful the moms and dads would have a good reason to bash the coach at home in front of JR. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I really like this discussion. I wish the parents of these players and all the big money people in PF would read this topic.

BEEF and BIGBLUE hitting the nail on the head /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Which would benefit student/athletes more; Knowing how to drive safely or knowing how to play football? Huh, just sort of shows you where some of our priorities are at.

Hey Splitback, what offense does your team run?

5 wide and throw it every freaking play ! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Which would benefit student/athletes more; Knowing how to drive safely or knowing how to play football? Huh, just sort of shows you where some of our priorities are at.

Hey Splitback, what offense does your team run?

Like I said Quarles wasnt hired to teach Driver's Ed, thats what he happens to teach though, and so far I've not heard a lot of people complaining about how bad the teenage driving in Maryville is, so I guess hes doing ok. But let him lose a couple games in a row and I bet that we may hear some things about his coaching, dont you. I guess your priorities lie in everybodys a winner type a thing, and lets just make sure everybody plays. Well go back to little league and spread that message and see what happens to your HS team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />