Grainger Grizzlies

bballmomma

We did not play too well at Gap, but we bounced back pretty good against GP Friday night. The Lady Grizzlies have swept GP this season. After seeing all the teams in the district it looks like PF, Gap/Claiborne, Grainger, GP and Union. I still think there is no clear cut team that stands out like in the years past. I believe any of the top four teams could win the tournament. Good luck Lady Grizzlies and keep improving!

I think any of those teams can win the tourney too. That was a pretty good win for the ladies friday night against G-P. Although coacht has the final margin of victory 37-35, that was actually the boys score and the girls ended up winning by 10-15. Glad to see everyone who played contributing to the score. Of the three games they won, everyone who has played has scored. Doing this takes the pressure off of players such as Crews and Acuff to do all the scoring night in, night out. Its a good thing other were scoring because I believe Crews and Acuff had 6-8 and 8-10 respectively. Not really a good night for either. The game started out kind of odd with Coach Roach not starting Acuff or Maples. I for one had to say I was shocked when neither started the game. I could see Maples not only because of her hand continuing to bother her, but I heard it was getting better. But not starting Acuff shocked many people, including her family members, by the look on some peoples faces. The 2 assistants even seemed a bit shocked by it. Acuff though seemed fine with it and after the game I overheard the reasoning behind it. I overheard Acuff tell her mom and sister that he didn't start her to prove a point to the other girls. The point was that if she didn't have a problem not starting the game then no one else should either. Thats a crazy point to prove and I don't know why the girls should have a problem with who starts or who doesn't, as long as you get to play you should be happy because some of the players don't get to see much playing time if any at all. Maybe Coach R got his point across and will go back to the original line-up because Cabbage doesn't seem like she can handle starting duties at point and they need Acuff's size in the ball game. They travel to Cherokee tuesday night for the non-conference game then it back to conference play at home friday night against Union Co. So Good Luck this week, and GO LADY GRIZZLIES.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think any of those teams can win the tourney too. That was a pretty good win for the ladies friday night against G-P. Although coacht has the final margin of victory 37-35, that was actually the boys score and the girls ended up winning by 10-15. Glad to see everyone who played contributing to the score. Of the three games they won, everyone who has played has scored. Doing this takes the pressure off of players such as Crews and Acuff to do all the scoring night in, night out. Its a good thing other were scoring because I believe Crews and Acuff had 6-8 and 8-10 respectively. Not really a good night for either. The game started out kind of odd with Coach Roach not starting Acuff or Maples. I for one had to say I was shocked when neither started the game. I could see Maples not only because of her hand continuing to bother her, but I heard it was getting better. But not starting Acuff shocked many people, including her family members, by the look on some peoples faces. The 2 assistants even seemed a bit shocked by it. Acuff though seemed fine with it and after the game I overheard the reasoning behind it. I overheard Acuff tell her mom and sister that he didn't start her to prove a point to the other girls. The point was that if she didn't have a problem not starting the game then no one else should either. Thats a crazy point to prove and I don't know why the girls should have a problem with who starts or who doesn't, as long as you get to play you should be happy because some of the players don't get to see much playing time if any at all. Maybe Coach R got his point across and will go back to the original line-up because Cabbage doesn't seem like she can handle starting duties at point and they need Acuff's size in the ball game. They travel to Cherokee tuesday night for the non-conference game then it back to conference play at home friday night against Union Co. So Good Luck this week, and GO LADY GRIZZLIES.

Wow its been awhile since I've been on here. I think the last time I was on here was sometime last season before someone figured out that I was kin to one of the girls. That was a good win for the girls friday night, and it was good to see all the girls who played score that does help take the pressure off a few other girls. As far as what you said about Ashlee saying the reason behind her not starting was true, and trust me I should know. She said that was what Coach Roach pulled her aside and told her before warm-ups started, and she ended the game with 9 pts and would've had 10 if she hadn't missed that 1 free throw. You're also right about her not having a good night, and she's not had a few good nights the past few games including last night against Cherokee where she had no pts and 4 fouls. Hopefully she can turn things around Friday against Union County and get back to her double-digit scoring efforts. The team as a whole didn't perform as well as they did friday against G-P. They should have beaten that team by at least 20 pts, and would have if they had been playing like they did friday. I felt bad for Crews last night. She was working her tail off in the post area with sometimes mis-matches, and the girls wouldn't even look in or try and get the ball to her. We need to start looking in the post area for Ashlee and Crews for them to either shoot and score or to kick back out to the three point shooter. I hope they continue their winning ways whether its a blow-out or a 1 pt win. It doesn't matter as long as they come away with the win. I like to tell the girls good luck friday night against Union Co, and lets continue on one game at a time.

bigbluefan or bballmomma was you at the game last night, if so what is your take on it, and what do you think about this friday nights game against Union Co.

Wow its been awhile since I've been on here. I think the last time I was on here was sometime last season before someone figured out that I was kin to one of the girls. That was a good win for the girls friday night, and it was good to see all the girls who played score that does help take the pressure off a few other girls. As far as what you said about Ashlee saying the reason behind her not starting was true, and trust me I should know. She said that was what Coach Roach pulled her aside and told her before warm-ups started, and she ended the game with 9 pts and would've had 10 if she hadn't missed that 1 free throw. You're also right about her not having a good night, and she's not had a few good nights the past few games including last night against Cherokee where she had no pts and 4 fouls. Hopefully she can turn things around Friday against Union County and get back to her double-digit scoring efforts. The team as a whole didn't perform as well as they did friday against G-P. They should have beaten that team by at least 20 pts, and would have if they had been playing like they did friday. I felt bad for Crews last night. She was working her tail off in the post area with sometimes mis-matches, and the girls wouldn't even look in or try and get the ball to her. We need to start looking in the post area for Ashlee and Crews for them to either shoot and score or to kick back out to the three point shooter. I hope they continue their winning ways whether its a blow-out or a 1 pt win. It doesn't matter as long as they come away with the win. I like to tell the girls good luck friday night against Union Co, and lets continue on one game at a time.

bigbluefan or bballmomma was you at the game last night, if so what is your take on it, and what do you think about this friday nights game against Union Co.

It has been awhile since you've been on here, and I wasn't one of the ones to figure out who you were, but I think I got a good understanding of who you are kin to. I'm glad you came on here and told us what I overheard was true. It wasn't like I was listening purposely to your alls conversation,but Ashlee wasn't being discrete about it while talking to you, and I even heard her telling other people about it. Yes, I was at the game last night. I took a chance at coming to watch the boys and girls even though the weather was pretty bad when I left my house headed to Cherokee. I believe we could have won that game by at least 15 if not more, and I think the final difference was about 9-10 pts. Don't take it personally, alwaysapioneer, but Acuff has not been at her best the past three games. As far as what you said about Crews, I heard her scream and tell Coach J. Combs that if they wasn't going to look at her posting up or give her the ball then she was not going to keep working that hard to post up. Maybe this is what her and Acuff need to do each game because as you said there are a lot of times the girls don't see Acuff, Crews, or Waldroup posting up down low. They would rather take a three-pointer instead of looking inside. I'm not saying these girls post up every single time down the floor, but when they do they are not even looked at most of the time. Well its time to look ahead to friday against Union County. I believe the girls can win the game based on how I seen Union County play at the Christmas Tourney. But just because I think they can win doesn't mean they will. But if they play well and play together as a team like they did most of the game last friday night then they should be okay. If not then anything is a possibility, and I would be afraid to guess at what the outcome might be.

Does it make you feel better lie and down others and brag on you own? Give it up. We all know who you are.

I don't know who you think you are or what you think you know about me, but you are all wrong when you think I'm bragging about my own because I am in know way personally affliated with any of the girls on the team. The only time I am in contact with any of the girls is when I tell them good game after the games they have played. I don't know where you get that I am lying or downing others, but you need to take a step back and look at what I said. As far as the not starting, looks like I was telling the truth about that as alwaysapioneer said it was true and that they should know beacuse apparently they are kin to Acuff. I really don't know who you think I was downing or whatever because the only thing I said was that Acuff and Crews didn't not play their best games, and that Cabbage doesn't seem like she can handle starting point guard duties. Both of these I still believe are true in my opinion. So you can think whatever you want to about me and think I'm on here bragging about my own but as I said before I am in no way personally affiliated with any of the girls, just a fan, and a fan of both teams. But don't feel bad I have thought some people on here were someone affiliated with the girls too, but they turn out not to be. For example, I used to think bballmomma was Acuff's mom because they always talked about her but it turns out that it was not her mom, just someone who had always watched her play ball, and liked how she played.

As someone who isn't affiliated with Grainger High School in any way, I have to say that the defensive game plan that Grainger put into action against Cherokee last night was excellent. The only teams that have guarded Cherokee any better all season were Morristown West who held Cherokee to 22 and Greenville who held them to 30. Holding someone to 29 pts is a pretty dang good accomplishment no matter who you play. I could see Grainger's coaches stressing post denial, offside help, and rebounding. After the first quarter, I could hear Grainger's coaches demanding rebounding and they got it out of everyone for the rest of the game. Cherokee's big girls were no longer a factor on the boards. The Grainger girls played with heart, hustle, and passion to try and execute the game plan. Now, that was the first time I had seen Grainger play this season, but the scouting reports I had heard were that they tended to be lazy at times on defense and seemed to not to want to rebound. And that they were impatient at times on the offensive end and rush shots. I don't know what was different, but that certainly wasn't the case last night. The effort and intensity of Grainger seemed to go against all reports that I had heard about them. Kudos to Grainger for a great game and defensive effort. If they continue to play the defensive end and rebound in that manner, they will turn their season around in a hurry. The offense will come. You could tell last night they were trying to be patient, use the clock, and get to the free throw line. I believe they were 20 of 28 from the line. Not too shabby. I was impressed overall. If they had hit some of their easy shots from the floor, Grainger would have won by 20 plus. Offense comes and goes, but defense and rebounding should always be consistant. If Grainger can duplicate last night's effort and intensity consitantly, I think you Grainger fans have something to look forward to.

I sure hope we have something to look forward to. I didn't know that only 2 other schools had held Cherokee to that few points. Yes there have been some times this season that we have not played like that, but the times we have I believe we have won those games. You're right offense does come and go but defenses and rebounding need to stay the same. We have had problems wanting to rebound whether offensively or defensively, but the coaches seem to be getting more rebounds out of the girls. Cause like most coaches (high school, college, aau, or pros) have always said: defense + rebounding= championships. Good luck to the girls tomight against Union County. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey everyone sorry its been a week since I've been on here. Well the girls got a good win over Union Co. last friday night. I was glad to see most of the girls playing good on both sides of the ball, and what about those three balls falling i believe we ended up with 7 or 8. Alayna, Katie, and Ashlee all had pretty good games, I believe they scored 13, 12, and 11, respectively. But these three wasn't the only ones playing good, the other girls were too. Now on to last night, the girls traveled to Cocke Co. and lost the game 55-39, I believe was the final score. It really wasn't a overall good game for the girls, none of them. We had to many turnovers, not just from one player but from all, there was a bunch of missed shots, some inside the paint, and the girls were playing against 8 last night instead of 5. We couldn't stay out of foul trouble to get anything done. That's the worst officiating crew I believe we have had all season. Ashlee and Katie both fouled out and Heather ended with 4, but the refs would have found a way to foul her out if Coach Roach hadn't pulled her out at the end of the game. Maybe the girls, which were on a 3 game winning streak, can turn thing back around and avenge an early season loss to Claiborne Co. friday night and get back on that winning streak.

bigbluefan, were you not at either game because you've not been on here to give us your opinion?

Hey everyone sorry its been a week since I've been on here. Well the girls got a good win over Union Co. last friday night. I was glad to see most of the girls playing good on both sides of the ball, and what about those three balls falling i believe we ended up with 7 or 8. Alayna, Katie, and Ashlee all had pretty good games, I believe they scored 13, 12, and 11, respectively. But these three wasn't the only ones playing good, the other girls were too. Now on to last night, the girls traveled to Cocke Co. and lost the game 55-39, I believe was the final score. It really wasn't a overall good game for the girls, none of them. We had to many turnovers, not just from one player but from all, there was a bunch of missed shots, some inside the paint, and the girls were playing against 8 last night instead of 5. We couldn't stay out of foul trouble to get anything done. That's the worst officiating crew I believe we have had all season. Ashlee and Katie both fouled out and Heather ended with 4, but the refs would have found a way to foul her out if Coach Roach hadn't pulled her out at the end of the game. Maybe the girls, which were on a 3 game winning streak, can turn thing back around and avenge an early season loss to Claiborne Co. friday night and get back on that winning streak.

bigbluefan, were you not at either game because you've not been on here to give us your opinion?

Sorry i haven't been on here just been extremly busy the past few days. I was at the Union County game and was glad to see the girls get a big district win, and I mean big about 20-25 pt difference. It was a bigger margin until Coach R set the starters and played the backups which he should have done. But the backups did a good job of not letting Union County score that much on them. There was alot of threes going in, and this doesn't seem to happen very often. I didn't get to make it to the Cocke County game cause i didn't want to risk it with the weather the way it was. I seen the box score in the paper today and seen Acuff was the leading scorer with 14, and I believe the next closest to her was Crews with 6. Not going to beat many teams when you just have 1 or 2 girls scoring all the points. You need a total team effort. Also seen in the paper where the girls held DePew to only eight points, which if I'm correct is well below her average right now. Not exactly sure, would have to check the imac thread. Alwaysapioneer, thanks for giving some insight on the game, and was the officiating crew really that bad that Acuff and Crews fouled out and that Roach ended with 4 fouls? Well good luck to the girls friday night against Claiborne County, and if all goes well I should be there to see if they can get back at Claiborne for that early season loss. GOOD LUCK and GO LADY GRIZZLIES.

Lady Grizzlies beat Claiborne on the road by 1 (52-51). Grainger led most of the game and Claiborne tied it up late in the game. I said earlier that the Lady Grizzlies could be a team nobody would want to draw in the tournament. The district is way down this year and I think the Grizzlies are as good as anyone when they play like they did tonight. Good luck girls!

Lady Grizzlies beat Claiborne on the road by 1 (52-51). Grainger led most of the game and Claiborne tied it up late in the game. I said earlier that the Lady Grizzlies could be a team nobody would want to draw in the tournament. The district is way down this year and I think the Grizzlies are as good as anyone when they play like they did tonight. Good luck girls!

GC you are right, I also think the ladies can beat anyone when they play like they did friday night. If I was an opposing coach and seen how the girls played friday night I would not want to play them in the tournament especially with the tourney being held at Grainger. I was really gald to see Crews and Acuff playing good on the same night. Usually if ones playing good the other seems to be off, but not the other night they were both on and I think Waldroup scored in double digits too. It was just an overall good game for all the girls. I believe they have 3 district games left and only one is at home so the other two will be tough on the road, but if they play like they did Friday then I would tell the other teams to watch out. I hope the girls continue to roll right on in to tourney time and if they play hard like they have the past few games good things are to come for the girls. But they have to believe in themselves and in each other that they can do this because I believe they can. I would just like to say congrats to all the girls on their play Friday night.

I want to say congrats to the girls for the win over Union Co. friday night and the hard fought game against Harlan Co. saturday night. the game friday night was really good with the girls winning by 15-20 pts like they did the first go round with Union Co. They played pretty much the same way this game as they did the last one against them. Katie, Ashlee, and the rest of the girls played extremely well. They have been playing well these past few games. If those 2 can keep it up and get help from the other girls then good things are to come for the girls. Even though the ladies lost at Harlan Co. they still fought hard to try and pull it out. They ended up losing by 6-8 (can't remember exactly), but they took the lead late in the fourth quarter. There was some questionable ref calls and there was sometimes there was no team play alot of me play. There was some quick shots by the girls, and if they had took time to run something would have seen some open girls down low or on the outside. There were a few times when Taylor, Alayna, and Ashlee were open and either the other girls would miss them or just take shots that were rushed shots. Anyway, those were 2 hard fought, good games played by the ladies. This week willl be tough having to travel to Pigeon Forge tuesday night (weather permitting), and at home friday against Cumberland Gap. But if they continue to play and play together like they have in the past few games they should be alright. It's not going to be easy, but most games never really are. Good Luck to the ladies this week, and PLAY HARD.