Div II AA - East/Middle Regionals

FutbalFan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tcar ... can you provide a summary of the game? I was thinking Father Ryan might have the better chance of winning. Bad thinking I guess.

Extremely fast-paced game by both teams in the first half. PJP II contolled the majority of play at the outset and had a couple of decent (not great) scoring opportunities in the first 25 minutes. I believe fatigue from the previous two games (OT win vs Ensworth and PK win vs Brentwood Academy) began to catch up with the Lady Knights. Father Ryan controlled the momentum for the remainder of the game. In the second half, Father Ryan missed wide left and wide right on two separate shots from inside the box (one from about the 6) and had a couple of other opportunities from outside the 18 that went high. PJP II scored with a little over 10 minutes left. Given only two opportunities in the second half, PJP II made the second one count. The first was a shot on goal, taken by Caitlin Carter, from outside the 18 on the right, to the opposite left corner that glanced off a Father Ryan defender. The deflection slowed the ball just enough for the goalie to reverse direction and make a diving save that forced the ball outside the left post. The second, on a pass from Caillin Harris to Caitlin Carter just over midfield, that was chested past the two Father Ryan defenders, carried down the middle to just outside the 18 with the ensuing left footed shot drilled into the right corner for the eventual game winner. Father Ryan kept the pressure on for the remainder of the game, but were unable to find the net. It was a well played game from both sides and all the ladies need to be congratulated. Based on season records alone, one would have given the edge to Father Ryan; however, the teams in the Middle are very equal this year in speed, athleticism and size and every game was competitive. It made for some very exciting soccer and if the regions started over again tomorrow; I'm sure you would see a completely different result. The old saying, "On any given day" truly applies to this year.

Extremely fast-paced game by both teams in the first half. PJP II contolled the majority of play at the outset and had a couple of decent (not great) scoring opportunities in the first 25 minutes. I believe fatigue from the previous two games (OT win vs Ensworth and PK win vs Brentwood Academy) began to catch up with the Lady Knights. Father Ryan controlled the momentum for the remainder of the game. In the second half, Father Ryan missed wide left and wide right on two separate shots from inside the box (one from about the 6) and had a couple of other opportunities from outside the 18 that went high. PJP II scored with a little over 10 minutes left. Given only two opportunities in the second half, PJP II made the second one count. The first was a shot on goal, taken by Caitlin Carter, from outside the 18 on the right, to the opposite left corner that glanced off a Father Ryan defender. The deflection slowed the ball just enough for the goalie to reverse direction and make a diving save that forced the ball outside the left post. The second, on a pass from Caillin Harris to Caitlin Carter just over midfield, that was chested past the two Father Ryan defenders, carried down the middle to just outside the 18 with the ensuing left footed shot drilled into the right corner for the eventual game winner. Father Ryan kept the pressure on for the remainder of the game, but were unable to find the net. It was a well played game from both sides and all the ladies need to be congratulated. Based on season records alone, one would have given the edge to Father Ryan; however, the teams in the Middle are very equal this year in speed, athleticism and size and every game was competitive. It made for some very exciting soccer and if the regions started over again tomorrow; I'm sure you would see a completely different result. The old saying, "On any given day" truly applies to this year.

Wow .... great summary. Thx.

The Regional seeding games should be interesting too. Good Luck.

Brentwood Academy 2

BGA 0

Final

Does this mean that BGA is eliminated? I'm sure they graduated some/many, but I'm surprised that the 2007 D2 winner didn't even make it to State or Sub-State this year. Did they just graduate too much to replace? With such a strong player as Suzannah Dennis on their team, I would have thought they would at least make it back to State....

Does this mean that BGA is eliminated? I'm sure they graduated some/many, but I'm surprised that the 2007 D2 winner didn't even make it to State or Sub-State this year. Did they just graduate too much to replace? With such a strong player as Suzannah Dennis on their team, I would have thought they would at least make it back to State....

Yep they're out. Same will happen to loser of St. Benedict / St. Agnes in the West Monday night. The remaining eight will play "substate" to end up with four for State Tournament.