Div II AA - East/Middle Regionals

FutbalFan

Final

Baylor 5 JPII 4 in PK's

What a great game. PJP is much better than their record and gave Baylor it's toughest game of the year. Baylor had more opportuunities but many shots went wide or high of the goal. As such, the PJP keeper never had to make many difficult saves. The Baylor keeper came up big with a diving save on a deflected ball and in the PKs. The goals against her were not keeper errors in any way.

The game was not well officiated, with many calls missed both ways. By the end of the game, parents from both sides were almost commiserating with each other.

Congrats to both teams, but especially to PJP who went toe to toe with a much deeper Baylor squad. PJP looked young so they should be a big factor assuming they don't loose too many seniors, and can bring along a couple of more players to give them depth.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that BGA is eliminated? I'm sure they graduated some/many, but I'm surprised that the 2007 D2 winner didn't even make it to State or Sub-State this year. Did they just graduate too much to replace? With such a strong player as Suzannah Dennis on their team, I would have thought they would at least make it back to State....

BGA struggled throughout the season with consistency. My opinion is that in recent years they fell into the trap of relying too heavily on the skills of one or two players. This method does several things to a team. First, it devalues the contributions of the other players on the team, causing resentment and giving less driven players an excuse to give less than their best. Second, it creates an inconsistency in player development as a program's young players learn one system of play rather than developing an understanding of the many styles of play in soccer. Third, it creates a style of play that gets easier and easier for opponents to read and develop a defense to combat. Susannah IS a very talented player and would be an asset to any team - but one player is not capable of carrying a team in this division. There are simply too many great coaches and too many strong, experienced club team players in D2.

Substate on Sat. Nov. 1 for Division II AA shakes up as follows according to the TSSAA website:

Visitor Home

(#5 East/Middle) (#1 East/Middle)

(#3 East/Middle) (#2 West)

(#3 West) (#2 East/Middle)

(#4 East/Middle) (#1 West)

So, plugging in what we have so far it will be:

Brentwood Academy @ Baylor

Father Ryan @ Briarcrest/ECS

St. Benedict/St.Agnes @ JP II

GPS @ ECS/Briarcrest

Does someone in the West have updates for us on the winner of the Briarcrest/ECS game, or was it postponed like the St. Agnes/St. Benedict game?

Substate on Sat. Nov. 1 for Division II AA shakes up as follows according to the TSSAA website:

Visitor Home

(#5 East/Middle) (#1 East/Middle)

(#3 East/Middle) (#2 West)

(#3 West) (#2 East/Middle)

(#4 East/Middle) (#1 West)

So, plugging in what we have so far it will be:

Brentwood Academy @ Baylor

Father Ryan @ Briarcrest/ECS

St. Benedict/St.Agnes @ JP II

GPS @ ECS/Briarcrest

Does someone in the West have updates for us on the winner of the Briarcrest/ECS game, or was it postponed like the St. Agnes/St. Benedict game?

Monday October 27, 2008 @ MUS high School (Memphis University School)

SAA/ SBHS 5:00 PM

ECS/BHS 7:00 PM

BGA struggled throughout the season with consistency. My opinion is that in recent years they fell into the trap of relying too heavily on the skills of one or two players. This method does several things to a team. First, it devalues the contributions of the other players on the team, causing resentment and giving less driven players an excuse to give less than their best. Second, it creates an inconsistency in player development as a program's young players learn one system of play rather than developing an understanding of the many styles of play in soccer. Third, it creates a style of play that gets easier and easier for opponents to read and develop a defense to combat. Susannah IS a very talented player and would be an asset to any team - but one player is not capable of carrying a team in this division. There are simply too many great coaches and too many strong, experienced club team players in D2.

Well said, and they are not the team of last season. As we come to the end again, and I reflect on all the bantering and bragging and bull ( the 3 B's) that comes out of the keyboards of players and especially parents on CoachT, I think why on earth do we even argue about rankings. PJP and Father Ryan haven't been put anywhere near the top and even their supporters haven't been on hear telling us, " you just wait and see". They are truly to be praised for their "strength of schedule". Both have results on Eurosports that looks like they are decorated with Christmas lights. I would rather be 7-7-6 and #2 at this point (and almost #1) than to be 15-1-2 (made that up, not picking on anyone) and be shaking that I might have to play PJP or FR. (IMO!)

The next two weeks may be the most exciting in my short time in the DII high school game /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

West regional game results:

St Agnes won over St Benedict with a 1 to 0 score in the 3rd place match.

In the Championship match, Briarcrest won over ECS with a 5 to 3 score. In the Briarcrest game, the five goals came from 4 players.

Score was Briarcrest 2 and ECS 1 at the half with ECS scoring the first goal of the game, but with Briarcrest scoring two prior to the break. In the second half, Briarcrest scored again making the score 3 to 1, but ECS answered with score getting closer at 3 to 2 at one point. Briacrest took off after that scoring two additional goals bringing the score got up to 5 to 2 and ECS scored their 3rd goal with a few minutes remaining. Very exciting game! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

West regional game results:

St Agnes won over St Benedict with a 1 to 0 score in the 3rd place match.

In the Championship match, Briarcrest won over ECS with a 5 to 3 score. In the Briarcrest game, the five goals came from 4 players.

Score was Briarcrest 2 and ECS 1 at the half with ECS scoring the first goal of the game, but with Briarcrest scoring two prior to the break. In the second half, Briarcrest scored again making the score 3 to 1, but ECS answered with score getting closer at 3 to 2 at one point. Briacrest took off after that scoring two additional goals bringing the score got up to 5 to 2 and ECS scored their 3rd goal with a few minutes remaining. Very exciting game! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Someone said in an earlier post that Briarcrest may not have been healthy.... Something about #16 may have been injured. Who is #16, and was she able to play in this game? Will she be able to play in the SubState game on Saturday?

Someone said in an earlier post that Briarcrest may not have been healthy.... Something about #16 may have been injured. Who is #16, and was she able to play in this game? Will she be able to play in the SubState game on Saturday?

# 16 on ECS, is out. I think she tore ACL. She was a big part of their game and is being missed.

Briarcrest currently has two ACL injuries (a starting defender and a forward). Last night, we thought that another midfielder (#18) may have town her ACL, but luckily her injury is not as serious as originally thought last night. She plays a defensive center mid position and has some healing to do and may or may not be able to play this weekend.

# 16 on ECS, is out. I think she tore ACL. She was a big part of their game and is being missed.

Awww, that's too bad. Who is #16? Names I recognize, numbers I don't.

Briarcrest currently has two ACL injuries (a starting defender and a forward). Last night, we thought that another midfielder (#18) may have town her ACL, but luckily her injury is not as serious as originally thought last night. She plays a defensive center mid position and has some healing to do and may or may not be able to play this weekend.

It's unfortunate to get injuries this late in the season. Hopefully, she will be ready to play this weekend.

Awww, that's too bad. Who is #16? Names I recognize, numbers I don't.

It's unfortunate to get injuries this late in the season. Hopefully, she will be ready to play this weekend.

Per the Briarcrest school website....

On a somber note, junior midfielder Michelle Forbert sustained an ACL tear and will miss the state play-offs. She joins Samantha McColgan, Kassie Gilland and Mary Catherine McDaniel on the disabled list.

http://www.briarcrest.com/newsEventsDetails.asp?news_id=430