Player of the year

chasanooga

Each year the Chattanooga Times Free Press creates a "Best of Preps" list as well as one player they deem as the area's "Player of the Year". The sports writers poll the local coaches and then determine who was the best player that year. I would like to "nominate" Kris Cambron, senior forward from Notre Dame as this year's player of the year. I have watched Kris play for 4 years at Notre Dame and 6 years as a club player. I will admit having some prejudice to my choice as I have always admired her 100% effort all the time. She is an energizer bunny who never seems to quit. Notre Dame has played 13 ranked teams (some more than once) this year and I looked at some of Kris' stats in those games and they are as follows:

games played vs ranked opponents 13

goals scored 16

assists 4

Notre Dame's record in those 13 games were 8-4-1 and certainly Kris' contributions were a major reason for that record. I know that they are many very good players in the Chattanooga area and some people may post (a nominee) and a lot will not regarding a player that they think is player of the year material.

Some of the past winners include:

2004 Nikki Brannen, Notre Dame, currently playing at Carson Newman

2005 Paige Lanter, Baylor, currently playing at Samford

2006 Jaimee Cooper, Notre Dame, currently playing at MTSU

2007 Emily Jones, Cleveland, currently a junior at Cleveland HS

2008 ?????

Even years look good for the Fighting Irish!

I realize that this is really not the forum for "nominations" for "Best of Preps" (and no DonC did not put me up to this) but I certainly think it is a forum to discuss any girls accomplishments who have led their team over this past year to make a significant difference for their team.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well why not....I'll play along. I nominate Clair Lanter of Soddy Daisy. I know defensive players normally don't win such awards, but Soddy had the least goals scored (7), on them of any team in Tennessee that played a full schedule and Clair anchored the back. She is a beast in the back. Not to mention one of the Best Team Leaders I have ever seen.

We love you Clair and will miss you next year.

Well why not....I'll play along. I nominate Clair Lanter of Soddy Daisy. I know defensive players normally don't win such awards, but Soddy had the least goals scored (7), on them of any team in Tennessee that played a full schedule and Clair anchored the back. She is a beast in the back. Not to mention one of the Best Team Leaders I have ever seen.

I agree that Clair is an excellent player, deserving of any/all honors. I'm glad she and my daughter play on the same club team. She anchors our defense there just like she did for Soddy Daisy.

Claire Lanter is IMHO opinion is the best defender in the state! She is relentless, smart and tough as nails. She led a Soddy Daisy defense that was arguably the best in the state. I wish defenders got more credit for their efforts and certainly Claire will be on the Best of Preps team (again).

Claire Lanter is IMHO opinion is the best defender in the state! She is relentless, smart and tough as nails. She led a Soddy Daisy defense that was arguably the best in the state. I wish defenders got more credit for their efforts and certainly Claire will be on the Best of Preps team (again).

No doubt Claire Lantner is a strong defender but let us not overlook the other strong defenders both in Chattanooga area AAA schools as well as A/AA and Division II. More than one among that group is equal in both skill, tenacity and leadership qualities. Relying on the Goals Against stat can be misleading if you do not factor in strength of schedule. Looking at that, you will see that other defenses gave up more goals but played much more challenging schedules.

Defenders are most definitely at a disadvantage for Player of the Year awards. There are no individual stats which help their cause. It makes comparison among them difficult. That is where offensive players have the clear advantage in award selections.

Defenders are most definitely at a disadvantage for Player of the Year awards. There are no individual stats which help their cause. It makes comparison among them difficult. That is where offensive players have the clear advantage in award selections.

There are many very good defenders in the Chattanooga area unfortunately to your point unless you watch these girls play on a week in and week out basis it is impossible to quantify their contribution to the team and makes it virtually impossible (for a defender) to win these types of awards.

No doubt Claire Lantner is a strong defender but let us not overlook the other strong defenders both in Chattanooga area AAA schools as well as A/AA and Division II. More than one among that group is equal in both skill, tenacity and leadership qualities. Relying on the Goals Against stat can be misleading if you do not factor in strength of schedule. Looking at that, you will see that other defenses gave up more goals but played much more challenging schedules.

Oh Bluesky....I agree with what you said except Clair is the strongest defender I have seen or noticed, but I was trying to play along and post a positive comment.

Maybe this thread should have been who impressed you this year from a different team? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Kris, Clair, Emily....All I know is I would hate to have to pick The player of the year.

Oh Bluesky....I agree with what you said except Clair is the strongest defender I have seen or noticed, but I was trying to play along and post a positive comment.

Maybe this thread should have been who impressed you this year from a different team? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Kris, Clair, Emily....All I know is I would hate to have to pick The player of the year.

After watching every state tournament qualifying team each division this year, I would have to put the defense at GPS and Baylor at the top of my list. Both played strong schedules (Baylor had arguably the strongest in the state.) and the GA on each was good. GPS had a rough year in the win-loss category, but without the strength of defense they showed accross the back line and in goal, it could have been MUCH worse. The GPS back 4 rarely if ever rotated. Baylor, on the other hand, had a strong back line and great goalkeeper but had depth in those positions and with an equally strong offensive line-up was able to rotate defenders regularly.

On the offensive side of the ball, I would give Baylor and Soddy Daisy top nods with siegel and Bearden coming close. Each showed depth of bench, good strategic understanding and great foot skills.

Each team had standouts, however, in my opinion, the most talented player I have seen this year would have to be Baylor's Freshman , McKenzie Thomas. I saw her first last spring in the D1 state championships and again in the Region 3 championships. In both she was a spark plug. However, the 4 times I watched her with Baylor this season, I saw her become a more mature and well-rounded player by improving her short game, giving up the shot when necessary and taking more accurate shots when available.

Each team had standouts, however, in my opinion, the most talented player I have seen this year would have to be Baylor's Freshman , McKenzie Thomas. I saw her first last spring in the D1 state championships and again in the Region 3 championships. In both she was a spark plug. However, the 4 times I watched her with Baylor this season, I saw her become a more mature and well-rounded player by improving her short game, giving up the shot when necessary and taking more accurate shots when available.

I agree that McKenzie will be a force to be reckoned with in the years to come. Part of what hurts Baylor's players, IMO, is that Jimmy is reluctant to promote individual players. You don't see him turning in goals scored, etc, to the paper, and rarely are articles written about them. I believe this has something to with (1) team and not individual efforts, and (2) reluctance to provide opponents with scouting data. He also has such depth of players that few individuals stand out.

I would argue that Baylor's team deserves "Team of the Year" in the Chattanooga Best of Preps, and Soddy Daisy's Moises Drumond deserves "Coach of the Year".