TSSAA Eligibility

ekinnard

I have heard that if your middle school has no team, as in our case, no soccer team, that an 8th grader can play on the high school team (if, of course he or she has the talent and the coach wants the player). I can't find any documentation that is specific enough to support this claim. An 8th grader played varsity soccer at Science Hill, but it is a little more clear cut because SH is a comprehensive school encompasssing grades 8-12...pretty smart move. Anyway, I am looking for info regarding this topic. It seems to me that it would be a no brainer, at least for an 8th grader to play on the freshman or JV teams, but I am interested in knowing how the TSSAA views this issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!

I think he can play if the middle school and highschool share a campus and admin. Cak has played some 8 graders, but that is a comprehensive school if I am not mistaken. Help us out G. Alcoa middle and high sit next door to each other and are physically connected, but we can not bring up an 8th grader since we have different administrations for each school. Weird rule that I don't completely understand. Sorry if I confused more than helped.

This is from the TSSAA handbook:

"Eighth Grade Participation

Section 8. An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school. Students below the eighth grade are not eligible. Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade.

Participation as an eighth grader shall not reduce the number of semesters a student is allowed to participate after enrolling in the ninth grade."

It doesn't mention the "one campus" rule, but I know that it is true (might be in there some other place). You are also right, Akula, about the separate administration. Doesn't make sense, though.

So, to answer your question, ekinnard, "yes and no". It really depends on your school. If you could shed some light on which specific school you are referring to, it might help. Sorry that it is so vague (but then again, it IS the TSSAA!) /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

I don't know if that is the case across the state. In Knoxville area it is, but I am not sure about the others...

Knoxville is an exception, not in Chattanooga, most schools follow the TSSAA and TMSAA...Knoxville has done well to be able to separate the two, and bypass the stupid middle school rule...

D

I have heard that if your middle school has no team, as in our case, no soccer team, that an 8th grader can play on the high school team (if, of course he or she has the talent and the coach wants the player). I can't find any documentation that is specific enough to support this claim. An 8th grader played varsity soccer at Science Hill, but it is a little more clear cut because SH is a comprehensive school encompasssing grades 8-12...pretty smart move. Anyway, I am looking for info regarding this topic. It seems to me that it would be a no brainer, at least for an 8th grader to play on the freshman or JV teams, but I am interested in knowing how the TSSAA views this issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!

I had our AD look into this about 4 years ago at Carter. Even though our 3 schools - elem, middle, and High - are on the same campus, TSSAA considers them 3 separate schools...probably because each school has it's own administration (prin, v prin, etc).

In case like CAK they are considered a single school and are allowed to play 8th graders.

Hope this helps.

I had our AD look into this about 4 years ago at Carter. Even though our 3 schools - elem, middle, and High - are on the same campus, TSSAA considers them 3 separate schools...probably because each school has it's own administration (prin, v prin, etc).

In case like CAK they are considered a single school and are allowed to play 8th graders.

Hope this helps.

I think it is because we have a superintendent on campus.