Halls Red Devils

littlemn88

Why would you name a lineman coach 'pass game coordinator"? It would make more sence to put the QB coach or the WR coach in charge of the pass game, wouldnt it?

It might be that he's the most well-rounded coach on the staff, from a philosophical coaching standpoint. It's tough to say who the most well rounded coach is from a physical point. If Polston was still coaching there'd be no doubt, but since he's not, there's a tight race among the coaches with Kirby probably leading the pack.

My main question is if Hassel's moved to the QB coach, what happened to the rest of the staff? I don't imagine Williams coaching the D-Line. How would he show the taller linemen proper hand techniques and placement? Are step ladders legal equipment during practice? Who will coach the Dline? Will Hurst move over from O-line to D-line or perhaps even do both? Or will Julian relinquish all the LB duties to Kirby and/or Kilgore and take over D-line?

With all these coaching vacancies popping up around the area, are any of the coaches thought to be looking around? Is Hassel applying for head coach at AC or D-Coordinator at Catholic? Or anywhere else for that matter? Can some of you more in the know Halls guys help us out?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOu bring up a good point about area coaching jobs and Halls coaches looking around. Kirby has head coaching experience. Will he go after the AC job? Prolly not. Didn't Hassel apply for the Gibbs job last year along with Quarles? The little feller could caoch the DL with easy. Talk about staying low, its a naturall position for him!

One day Halls will be a power again. That day will come when we no longer fear the incomplete pass.

ZCAR, do you think there's anyone on staff who doesn't fear the incomplete pass or has the guts to call anything at any time? Is there anyone on staff that has the innovation or smarts about 'em to find a way for Halls High School to complete more passes? The kids ultimately have to execute but the coaches have to be able to get them in a situation to execute with a fighting chance.

My question was concerning the ability and knowledge of a coach who coaches defense, never been a coordinator, and can not get the job at a 3A school. Your current coordinator, has been a coordinator at two other schools. Looking from the outside, one at least by experience, should be directing the passing game and the other coaching the defense.

haveityourway,

I thought the Gibbs job was a dun deal to begin with. If a linmen coach knows the passing game then he could call pass plays. But I wonder how much a line coach knows the pass game. He ought to be worryed about protecting the QB and we aint real good at doing that. Maybe thats why we dont throw the ball more. I maybe wrong, but I think a QB coach or a WR coach ought to be in charge of throwing the football. They knew the routes and how to run them at least they better.

That was a good one about the most rounded coach. If Poston was still coaching he would get the most rounded. Have you saw him later in his baseball unifirm? U G L Y !!!!!

My question was concerning the ability and knowledge of a coach who coaches defense, never been a coordinator, and can not get the job at a 3A school. Your current coordinator, has been a coordinator at two other schools. Looking from the outside, one at least by experience, should be directing the passing game and the other coaching the defense.

Well, way I see it is this. The 3A job you speak of was a done deal. Everyone knew Gibbs would do what it did and hire from within. Everyone who interviewed pretty much did it just for interview experience from what I've heard. Now, concerning experience as a coordinator. I don't buy that experience should put one guy into a position and another in a different position. There are too many variables that go into being a coordinator. For one, does the person calling the plays know what the O-line will be doing verses varying defenses? Secondly, does the coordinator understand how to manipulate defenses with his offense? For example, can he communicate with the kids on the field to change plays based on looks he's getting. Or can he force an opposing defense to change what it's doing to try and stop what he's doing? Thirdly, based on this so called experience, why was Halls unsuccessful this past year with a veteran offensive line, a 2nd year QB, etc.? Fourthly, just how successful has Williams been at other schools that have put him in the position of coordinator? Fifthly, a coordinator should look at spacing on the field. What I mean by this is a coordinator for any school in any offensive scheme should be able to spread a defense out by formation/plays. If you don't do this, then you have no shot at being successful every single week if you play in a difficult region. Spacing includes WR position on the field, OL splits, left/right hash, position of the Line of Scrimmage on the field (are you in the middle of the field, going in/out?), kids who aren't afraid to get lost in the middle of the LBs, etc. These are all variables that the OC has to figure out in order to make the defense do things it doesn't normally do against other opponents. These are all questions that should be looked at in my opinion. There are more as well I'm sure, but this is what sticks out to me.

One last thing about OL coaches being coordinators. Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Phil Fulmer a coordinator? Isn't the new OC at UT an OL coach? The point is there are many OL coaches who are coordinators. The reason being that the OL coach understands what's going on up front better than many other coaches. And, if you can't solve the problem up front or get into a good protection, then any chance at passing is out the door. The same can be said about the running game to a certain extent. Granted Hassel hasn't been the OL coach at Halls to my knowledge, but I believe he played center for the Red Devils in the early 90s. So I'd say, given that Halls offense hasn't appeared to change much since the '96 state championship game, Hassel still has a great working knowledge of O-line play since most centers are the smart guys who have to tell the rest of the OL what to do every play.

Well that's what I have for now. I look forward to hearing back from you guys with some good discussion foreseeable.

I do not know the success record of your current offensive coordinator. From what I can tell, the people who post on this forum are unhappy with his progress. My question centered on the improvement of a staff. If the O. C. is the problem (and I don't know that to be true), why not seek a proven successful O.C.? Why promote from within on a staff you are unhappy with? Why turn the offense over to a D-Line coach (as listed in the program), when there could be quality, experienced candidates out there? Who was interviewed when your current OC got the job? Maybe one of the guys you turned down would have been a better fit? There is always time to correct a mistake if you feel as a head coach you have made one. Ultimately for those in the know at Halls, is your head coach unhappy? If he isn't, all of our discussion is for nothing.

ZCAR, do you think there's anyone on staff who doesn't fear the incomplete pass or has the guts to call anything at any time? Is there anyone on staff that has the innovation or smarts about 'em to find a way for Halls High School to complete more passes? The kids ultimately have to execute but the coaches have to be able to get them in a situation to execute with a fighting chance.

No I really don't not on the offensive side of the ball anyway. Note this isn't a shot at anyone it's just my humble opinion

I been a fan for near twenty or so years and I think last year we went backwards in our confidence. You could sense it in the bleachers and after the games. We have the athletes and have a very good coaching staff. We need the belief. My grandpa use to tell me me if it aint broke don't fix it. I think our offense was broken last year and we still went 4-6. Shows how good our players could have been if we hadn't been so predictable. Each year we will lose special athletes to graduation and underclassmen need to be right behing them to take their position with passion. When we make the game fun again we will do great things. Untill that time we will have a big challenge ahead of us. We will know when the tide starts to turn again It will be all the talk at the crossroads and around town. But for now we can play the blame game on sickness,injuries, players out of position,playing players in front or other upper classmen. Sorry I don't get into to all that. You are dealt the cards you have and you have to work with those and it up to being prepared,exploring new avenues when old ones dry up, getting the hype factor going and putting the best on the field to get you there. Thus #1 this year is finding a QB thats a threat in the air even if he only passes 3-5 times a game you have to have a confidence player that can execute and keep teams off balance.

I wonder if Lane Kiffin will come in and rubberstamp his offense after Fulmers? My guess is not a chance. Fulmer was a great coach and I was at his last game and gave him a loud ovation but for sometime he had lost the fan in the stands and the discipline on the field. Thus a poor product had to unfold and it did in a mighty way last year.

Don't let ignorance overule good judgement. It is not that he didn't get the job, it was that it was GIVEN to someone else. I sure the man had plenty to offer, and would have been successful.