How do club players make an impact

TheRaider

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, can't believe I beat MVM to this one! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Club players add a HUGE benefit to a program. Does this mean you have to have club players to win? No. BUT, I would imagine if you would look at the past champions, you would find a high percentage of those players are rostered on an off season club team. Am I a huge club fan? It's a catch 22 for me... There is a huge benefit (from a soccer standpoint) but also, too often some of my players have had poor experiences with club (and or ODP) so by the time that they become upper classmen, they are fairly "burned out". I have a lot of players who had the abilities to play college ball, but were frankly just "over it" by the time they graduated.

Saying that, though, many of my players have had great experiences with their club programs. Mainly, it was because they had a great coach leading their team. Unfortunately, it has been more of the exception than the mean.

To answer your question... even if you have a player that is on a division 2 or 3 team (and not a die hard club) those players are playing soccer in the off season! That is a benefit just in itself. Since the TSSAA has limited the time that our players can actually touch a ball in the off season, this is essential.

Just looking on some input from coaches on this subject.

He who has the most club players will win.

G touched on the point: that if you look at the rosters of all the "elite HS teams" they are littered with select players. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

G...I did find your comment on player burn out, because of select, interesting. But thats whats so special about playing HS ball. From what I have noticed is that HS soccer seems to rejuvenate the "club player".

Wow, can't believe I beat MVM to this one! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Club players add a HUGE benefit to a program. Does this mean you have to have club players to win? No. BUT, I would imagine if you would look at the past champions, you would find a high percentage of those players are rostered on an off season club team. Am I a huge club fan? It's a catch 22 for me... There is a huge benefit (from a soccer standpoint) but also, too often some of my players have had poor experiences with club (and or ODP) so by the time that they become upper classmen, they are fairly "burned out". I have a lot of players who had the abilities to play college ball, but were frankly just "over it" by the time they graduated.

Saying that, though, many of my players have had great experiences with their club programs. Mainly, it was because they had a great coach leading their team. Unfortunately, it has been more of the exception than the mean.

To answer your question... even if you have a player that is on a division 2 or 3 team (and not a die hard club) those players are playing soccer in the off season! That is a benefit just in itself. Since the TSSAA has limited the time that our players can actually touch a ball in the off season, this is essential.

i played against a kfc team this past indoor seoson and i know alot of you dont play indoor but they had an amazing player that played fwd and i think he plays in catholic high. do any of you all know who im talking about? just curious..

i played against a kfc team this past indoor seoson and i know alot of you dont play indoor but they had an amazing player that played fwd and i think he plays in catholic high. do any of you all know who im talking about? just curious..

If he started at Catholic, take your pick... they are quite talented in all positions. Tyler Gibson maybe?

He who has the most club players will win.

G touched on the point: that if you look at the rosters of all the "elite HS teams" they are littered with select players. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

G...I did find your comment on player burn out, because of select, interesting. But thats whats so special about playing HS ball. From what I have noticed is that HS soccer seems to rejuvenate the "club player".

I definitely believe the more club players a high school team has the better they are going to be in the long run. They have been playing and training when the other kids haven't and that can only be an advantage. I know my son, who graduated this past year, definitely would not be playing college soccer if it hadn't been for playing club ball. I think that he enjoyed playing high school soccer better because of the huge crowds of his classmates that would show up and cheer him on and also the papers cover high school soccer and club is basically non-existent in the media. The best years that he had in high school was when his team consisted of a larger percentage of players that played club soccer.

It is true Big G that club is a catch 22 and many players can burn out, but how many non club players have gone on to play college soccer at a competitive level?

Unlike American Football, soccer players must have the exposure that club ball provides them to be indentified by college coaches. High School teams do not travel to Showcase Tournaments.

Every college coach I have spoke to or heard lecture on the subject says they don't have time to watch high school (PERIOD) and that if you aren't a 90 minute starter on your HS team, then college soccer is an unrealistic goal anyway. They also say ODP, while it can have its politics and downfalls is a mark on a player's resume that they look for. With so many players they have to weed through, finding one that plays year round, has the committment to play ODP on top of it, helps narrow their search.

Most top club coaches would prefer their players skip high school ball because many programs (not all) lack proper conditioning, skills tend to fall off and better players are at risk for injury from less experienced non-club or multi-HS-sport players.

My son uses high school to relax from the "burning out". And back to the original question of do club players make an impact. I'm just a spectator but I can 99% of the time not only pick club players, but those in a "good" competitive club while watching a High School game.

Club players are the glue that hold the HS game together IMHO.

It is true Big G that club is a catch 22 and many players can burn out, but how many non club players have gone on to play college soccer at a competitive level?

Unlike American Football, soccer players must have the exposure that club ball provides them to be indentified by college coaches. High School teams do not travel to Showcase Tournaments.

Every college coach I have spoke to or heard lecture on the subject says they don't have time to watch high school (PERIOD) and that if you aren't a 90 minute starter on your HS team, then college soccer is an unrealistic goal anyway. They also say ODP, while it can have its politics and downfalls is a mark on a player's resume that they look for. With so many players they have to weed through, finding one that plays year round, has the committment to play ODP on top of it, helps narrow their search.

Most top club coaches would prefer their players skip high school ball because many programs (not all) lack proper conditioning, skills tend to fall off and better players are at risk for injury from less experienced non-club or multi-HS-sport players.

My son uses high school to relax from the "burning out". And back to the original question of do club players make an impact. I'm just a spectator but I can 99% of the time not only pick club players, but those in a "good" competitive club while watching a High School game.

Club players are the glue that hold the HS game together IMHO.

I agree with you. The number 1 college recruiting tool is club soccer (and ODP).

Lets face it club ball is where the best of the best. You have kids competing at state, regionals, and nationals, as well as high class tournaments such as the Disney Showcase and CASL Showcase. Also, 99% of the college recruting is done during club soccer. Club players tend to make the biggest impact on high school teams. Take for example the team Catholic had last year (won state). The had Joey Derosa, Zach Wegren, Michael Fisher, Brian Beckham, Tyler Gibson, Luke Mishu, Spencer Payne, Max Herrera, Jamie Trombly Kosta Nassosios, and Hank Holleman. All of these kids played club or had played club until there jr or sr years.