Grainger Grizzlies

GC Grizzlies

Looks like the rumor is true, McBee is suppose to be playing on the diamond this year although his positon has not yet been decided. Hopefully he can find the strike zone if he pitches.

No matter what position he plays ,I think he will help the team in all aspects of the game.

He will do his part and do whatever he does well , like he always does because that is how he does things , he is a hard worker.

Hopefully this first season as a Grizzly will be a great one to remember.

Seems like the expectations for McBee are a little unrealistic coming in. He is no doubt a stand up young man and a solid athlete. Michael Jordan may be one of the greatest athletes of all time, but he proved he should have stuck with basketball. McBee might be able to help in the area of pitching or even fielding in the outfield with natural ability alone. But hitting and forcing oneself to stay down on a one hop rope hit right in front of you on the infield is not a natural talent or skill - you have to learn how to fight the natural reflexes of bailing out of the way usually done over many, many years.

With that said, a school the size of Grainger can use all the athletes they can find to fill out any athletic roster. Just don't make the expectations so great that you set this young man up for failure. If he can pinch run, field, or even pitch - be grateful for whatever you can get with someone like this. You mentioned his work ethic and that is great - just bear in mind that there are many young men on this team who have been spending just as many hours on baseball that McBee has spent on basketball.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the expectations for McBee are a little unrealistic coming in. He is no doubt a stand up young man and a solid athlete. Michael Jordan may be one of the greatest athletes of all time, but he proved he should have stuck with basketball. McBee might be able to help in the area of pitching or even fielding in the outfield with natural ability alone. But hitting and forcing oneself to stay down on a one hop rope hit right in front of you on the infield is not a natural talent or skill - you have to learn how to fight the natural reflexes of bailing out of the way usually done over many, many years.

With that said, a school the size of Grainger can use all the athletes they can find to fill out any athletic roster. Just don't make the expectations so great that you set this young man up for failure. If he can pinch run, field, or even pitch - be grateful for whatever you can get with someone like this. You mentioned his work ethic and that is great - just bear in mind that there are many young men on this team who have been spending just as many hours on baseball that McBee has spent on basketball.

Great point "LDG". When I started the thread about Grizzly baseball and posed the question about McBee, I too hoped he might help some, perhaps as a pitcher. I am sure many of the baseball players have been working hard all summer, fall and winter getting ready for the season. It will be a fun and interesting season for the Grizzlies.

I'll have to admit that's the first I've heard about Skylar playing baseball, or even entertaining the idea of playing baseball. Like Luvdagame said already there's plenty without him on the baseball team. I mean for goodness sakes Rutledge was always in contention and did about everything they could on the baseball field except get past the sectionals. Now with newer facilities and quite possibly more interest at Grainger there's potential there for a carryover of the success from the Rutledge days.

I've not talked with Coach Bishop or Coach Tate though to get the skinny. I'm sure that the Skylar rumor is a lot like the Daniel Singleton rumor from five years ago at Rutledge when some thought his uncle, then head coach Wallace, was going to get him to play as a senior. It's a good topic for discussion, but probably not something that will happen.

As far as the rest of the district, the Sevier County teams (both of them this year I suppose) will be the main competition. Pigeon has been very tough to beat since they broke through with the Cannon family in the early part of this decade. The extra inning championship game at West Greene where the Tigers were the first team to beat Jason Gray in nearly two years was a classic and a heartbreaker rolled into one.

Talked to McBee a few weeks ago and he was "considering" playing at that time. He said it was his sr year and might as well try what he can. But he could very likely change his mind depending on his Basketball futures. Defensively he could help them out but pitching? Sure he can throw a football a long way, not real sure about the 65 yds, But can he throw a strike? Skylar is the type athlete that can do anything he sets his mind to, just wonder how committed he would be to learning baseball only to know he would be giving it up at the end of the season.

I don't get where luvdagame wants to act like I disrespected any Grainger baseball player.

The questions was is he playing , I hope he is thought he could benefit any team he plays on.

Just a question , who said anyone expected him to do anything, but I am sure if he plays and is given a chance he will be successful in helping the team.

I am sure right now basketball is all he is concerned about ,as it should be.

So lets just hope he plays and see if he can help the team, if nothing else his work ethic and leadership will benefit this young baseball team a Grainger High.

If Skylar plays they will get everything he has , just like he gave the Football team each Friday night.

I hope the whole Grainger team is very successful this year. Go Grizzlies

I don't get where luvdagame wants to act like I disrespected any Grainger baseball player.

The questions was is he playing , I hope he is thought he could benefit any team he plays on.

Just a question , who said anyone expected him to do anything, but I am sure if he plays and is given a chance he will be successful in helping the team.

I am sure right now basketball is all he is concerned about ,as it should be.

So lets just hope he plays and see if he can help the team, if nothing else his work ethic and leadership will benefit this young baseball team a Grainger High.

If Skylar plays they will get everything he has , just like he gave the Football team each Friday night.

I hope the whole Grainger team is very successful this year. Go Grizzlies

Coach Bigdog, no need to get personal with your response. I simply responded with an observation that baseball is a game that deserves respect. Your slight was not necessarily to the players who have worked for a long time on their skills but to the larger issue of the game itself. Not being associated with Grainger athletics or the school I could care less who plays or who doesn't.

You said he would help the team in "all aspects of the game." That probably simply isn't true. Your last comment "Hopefully this first season as a Grizzly will be a great one to remember" following your discussion of McBee assumes that McBee will be the savior of the Grainger High School baseball team. From my observations of conference games in Sevier County last year it looks like they could always use a solid player, but they don't need any "Messiah" figure.

Best of success to you and the Grainger High School program. They will need it against Pigeon Forge and a vastly improved Gatlinburg-Pittman.

Luvthegame you are an idiot, I was only saying I hope the first year for the Grizzly team which use to be "Rutledge" is a great one.

I doubt the Grizzly baseball team needs a savior or messiah for themto be successful the do it with hard work and dedication, at least they never did when they we Rutledge. If I recall correctly when they were Rutledge they were always at the top of their district, 1 or 2 usually.

I give you props for Pigeon Forge they have been there but Harveston is not there anymore who is the savior for this team, and Gatlinburg when is the last time them won a championship in baseball?

Too bad about McBee not playing. I was interested and would probably have went to see him when yall come down to sevier county twice. But anyway if Harveston was PF's savior, who will be grainger's then? I dont see them winning the district either coach bigdog. How is Webster gonna get District pitcher of the year if he cant pitch against claiborne and cum gap twice a week?