District 8 A/AA

socceraddict

The Portland soccer team is in its biggest rebuilding stage its ever been in. Ever since the 2007 season, the panthers havent even been able to go .500 on their season. This is due to the lack of athletes, and soccer experience I believe. You cant take just an average joe out of the hallway, and stick them out on the soccer field and expect to have a championship team. Its very clear, soccer in Portland is definetely not what it used to be. Steve Glaser is a very good coach, but lets be realistic.. Hes not a miracle worker. I see it being a good while before Portland is back to the kind of team they had when winning a championship didnt sound so crazy. We'll just wait and see what happens this season.

You cannot pre-judge so quickly. Last year portland had ONE off year in many many seasons. The year before that Portland went to sectionals, and played a steller game against ccs. The year before that portland went to the sectionals. Portland always carries a good team and will still carry one. If you watch them play not only do they play with skill, but as well as heart alot of it. portland scrimmaged gallatin last thurs and lost due to a own goal. Last time i checked gallatin has a really good club and for portland to hold there own says alot itself. Steve glaser is an outstanding coach and he can make a team grow very fast. I do admit Portland doesnt get the talent it used to but it still has alot of talent. Do not pre-assume Portland wont do well due to previous seasons. Im not saying Portland will be amazing this year. They are just a team that always brings a challenge to any team in front of them. Plus being the last year Portland as well as station camp is in a/aa they will want to leave a statement. When the season begins then you can judge a team. As for right now you cannot accurately say they will not be a good team.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not once did I state that they were not going to be good this year. Im just saying, Portland does not have the talent on that ball team that they had when they went to the sectionals in 06 and 07. They are a very young team, and have a LOT of learning to do.

I can understand what you are saying to some extent. The portland soccer club (city league) standards have been lowered extremely, as a result the talent level has somewhat been lowered. There is still players on the portland team that are from the generation when portland soccer club had a outstanding program. So those players are still playing high school ball and can make a huge difference. Sorry for the confusion the way i interpreted your post was that you was saying portland wont have a good team this year. I stand corrected lol

I can understand what you are saying to some extent. The portland soccer club (city league) standards have been lowered extremely, as a result the talent level has somewhat been lowered. There is still players on the portland team that are from the generation when portland soccer club had a outstanding program. So those players are still playing high school ball and can make a huge difference. Sorry for the confusion the way i interpreted your post was that you was saying portland wont have a good team this year. I stand corrected lol

What has happened to the club teams from Portland? They certainly have a very nice complex for soccer. Are they going to White House to play?

What has happened to the club teams from Portland? They certainly have a very nice complex for soccer. Are they going to White House to play?

The good quality coaches have left. Not saying they all are gone they still have a few very few. Also the rates to play are ridiculous for the program to not be top of the line. Its like $70-80 for older kids and $50 for younger ones. Another reason is the soccer board for psc isnt what it used to be. In past years you had to take coaching classes and have a license to coach teams. That rule does not exsist anymore. You have soccer dads that coach just to have certain people on your team like friends or people of that nature. Most of these dads dont know soccer inside out, just the basics and such. Due to the increase amount you have to pay to play people dont sign up. Teams used to not have to travel cause you had like 5-6 teams from one age group now you have two from the older kids and like three from u-10.

As far as i know they are traveling to white house to play, along with other teams in the sumner county area.

The good quality coaches have left. Not saying they all are gone they still have a few very few. Also the rates to play are ridiculous for the program to not be top of the line. Its like $70-80 for older kids and $50 for younger ones. Another reason is the soccer board for psc isnt what it used to be. In past years you had to take coaching classes and have a license to coach teams. That rule does not exsist anymore. You have soccer dads that coach just to have certain people on your team like friends or people of that nature. Most of these dads dont know soccer inside out, just the basics and such. Due to the increase amount you have to pay to play people dont sign up. Teams used to not have to travel cause you had like 5-6 teams from one age group now you have two from the older kids and like three from u-10.

As far as i know they are traveling to white house to play, along with other teams in the sumner county area.

Cw that's a shame to hear. For rural teams to compete with the privates and the suburban schools It's going to take a strong rec program with some sort of club program to enhance and challege the better players. I know the city went first class in building your soccer complex. I wish you guys luck on your season and will be following your progress this year.

Were practicing as hard as possible to make sure were ready /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Station Camp is all I have to say boys. Best team i have ever seen hit the field for this schoo, from top to bottom. Cannot ask for more out of these players they step up when needed and want to win games.

Well with the playday cancelled, it looks like predictions will have to be made a with a little less of a foundation to base things on. nonetheless, what is the consensus as to how this season will turn out?

Macon County and Portland played at Macon County tonight, March 19. Macon County has improved tremendously. Their midfielders played so hard tonight to try and keep the ball to their offense. My son plays for Portland, #14, and I was there tonight. #20 on defense, #3 on offense and 4 of the midfielders, I believe #7, #6, #26, and #4 really really played hard. Macon scored the 1st goal, but Portland came back with a score of their own. Later, Macon scored again. Again, Portland came right back. Tied at 2 Portland scored on a corner kick and Macon could not come back. Macon County played their hearts out I have to say. They could make a run in the District this year. Still, my son's team is going to give SC a good run.

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Macon County and Portland played at Macon County tonight, March 19. Macon County has improved tremendously. Their midfielders played so hard tonight to try and keep the ball to their offense. My son plays for Portland, #14, and I was there tonight. #20 on defense, #3 on offense and 4 of the midfielders, I believe #7, #6, #26, and #4 really really played hard. Macon scored the 1st goal, but Portland came back with a score of their own. Later, Macon scored again. Again, Portland came right back. Tied at 2 Portland scored on a corner kick and Macon could not come back. Macon County played their hearts out I have to say. They could make a run in the District this year. Still, my son's team is going to give SC a good run.

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

The midfielders for portland are #3, #4, #5, and #6 and sometimes #17

I was told that Portland scored the winning goal off of a 40 yard free kick that Groft hit that went upper 90 and the keeper could only hit it up into the cross bar. Portland scored off the rebound. I could be wrong. Confirmation?