Rhea County

supereagle

Mr. Levengood changed Fitz mind on going to WB? Sounds kind of odd. I just can't see Mr. Levengood talking him into staying, unless he wanted to keep his two brother-in-laws (two other coaches, the two of whom RheaCo spoke of probably going with him if Fitz left) close to home.

I, for one, believe I am not alone when I say I am getting tired of hearing of Fitzgerald having so much interest elsewhere besides RC. Yes, he has the right and owes it to his family to search for better employment. BUT, interviewing and being offered for Sequatchie, Cleveland, and now William Blount, seems like he wants out of here pretty bad. If he tells WB that he wants to be the next coach there, then maybe his heart isn't truly in Evensville. We have heard the long list of places he has had interest in/applied for/interviewed for and turned down, etc, and the list is getting awfully long. I understand that he, as the head coach, is supposed to build up his program and have his heart in it 100%. I know the players read this thread, and I'm sure reading this is definitely making them doubt the man that is supposed to be their leader on the field. Personally, I would prefer that if he is going to tell his players all of the things he does, then I would prefer that he actually believe them himself. He is supposed to be building character in the boys he is 'turning into men.' Actions speak louder than words; and right now, his actions don't seem to be supporting the morals he tries to instill in his players.

Now, RheaCo, or anyone else: before you start to ridicule me... I am a supporter of Rhea County Football. I have been behind the team through the Horton Dynasty, Payne, Hammontree, and both Fitzgerald asministrations. I have missed ONE game since 1981. I am at everything that I am able to attend that has to do with Rhea County Golden Eagle Football.

I'm not going to ridicule you. I thought is was a pretty good post with some of good points.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Levengood has Rhea County football in his blood. He even coached RCHS football years ago.

Yes, I remember those days. I would like to see these feeder schools get with the coach's at the high school and see what they can do to implement some of the things they do. I have heard that some of the Spring City coach's attended some of spring practice observing.

Yes, I remember those days. I would like to see these feeder schools get with the coach's at the high school and see what they can do to implement some of the things they do. I have heard that some of the Spring City coach's attended some of spring practice observing.

The Spring City HC has been there almost everyday. I agree the coaches at Rhea Central and Dayton need follow Spring City and come to and atleast watch practice and see how things are done up here so the incoming freshmen are already use to the system.

I know this is dreaming, but wouldn't a county team be nice. I know with DCS not being in the Rhea County School System, it could never happen. But imagine if they boys played together from sixth or seventh grade on.

Sorry, I woke up. Ok. It is good to hear the SC's head coach was at practice. Maybe he will implement some of the basis of Rhea's offense/defense into his own team strategy.

The Spring City HC has been there almost everyday. I agree the coaches at Rhea Central and Dayton need follow Spring City and come to and atleast watch practice and see how things are done up here so the incoming freshmen are already use to the system.

I totally agree. And I am not downing the other coach's at all. To me the group of coach's at Spring City has got a good system going on there. I got to follow them some last year and they can coach. So my hats off to you guys for looking at the present with SCMS and the future for RCHS.

I may be wrong, but don't the middle schools already do this with baseball? I think it's a great idea. Meet at the high school and let them practice on the back 40? I know there were talks not too long ago about Dayton City not fielding a team because they had so few players.

Yes the middle school baseball team is a county wide and they are very good and rarley lose either. It would be great if the middle school football was a county wide team. Yeah I believe it would heip a school like dayton and their players if there was a county wide team. I know they have talked about it but never could agree on it.

Isn't that how Marion Co. had so many good team back in the 90's ? Their little leagues and middle schools all ran the same offense before they arrived that the high school . Also South Pitt may be doing some of that now.

Just a side note from watching the in coming freshmen today. I don't know why any of our coaches would want to look around. The amount of talent that is coming in with this freshmen class is unbelievable. Some of these freshmen may have a shot at some varsity playing time.

True dat. That upcoming sophomore class has NOT been given the recognition and props it deserves.

As for Fitz wanting to leave or testing waters elsewhere, man, money makes the world go 'round. Maye they offered him a bucket full more than Rhea Co. Other things make the world go 'round, too, like opportunities for your family members. His wife's a teacher and nobody likes her - she's terrible in the classroom and has a bad rep with the kids so maybe he thinks a fresh start would be good for her. Also, they have a child with many challenges. Maybe another area has more opportunities, schools better equipped to give their son what he is going to need in coming years. Hometown loyalty aside - come on, give the guy a break. Does anybody remember the man stepping down to let Hammontree have a shot at the head coach position? If that doesn't illustrate a MAN, I don't know what does?

If he wants to better himself career wise and make a better life for his family - and that leads him somewhere else - how can anybody point a finger at him for that? Come on, lighten up on the guy. I hope he stays but if he doesn't, it doesn't make him Satan.

I was in the interview at WB. You guys have a great coach. He absolutely blew me away. He had done his homework. He had plans set up to keep kids in our feeder schools from going to other schools (Maryville and Alcoa). He had passion. He is a proven winner. He has had great stability. He had everything we were looking for. The one thing that totally turned me on to him during the process really turned me against him in the end. He said on more than one occasion.....I want to be the next head coach at William Blount. He was offered that position on a Thursday night. One week later (which included numerous phone calls, text messages, and emails) after stringing us along, he says no. We wanted to have a coach in place before school was out. Our next guy lives in Alabama. He accepts the job but obviously can't get up here in time for the last day of school to meet with all of the coaches and players. So I personally felt like I was played by Fitzgerald. If he was really just blowing smoke in the interview and he didn't want to be the next coach at WBHS, then the least he could have done was tell us a week earlier. That bothers me. Coaching wise I think you have a great coach. Character and Integrity........probably good most of the time but he has to get an F on the grade card for the weeks of May 11 and May 18. We were teased and lied to while a couple of the committee members went far and above the call of duty to help make it work. My advice to Coach Fitz.....If you are really not 100% sure you want to coach at another school, then let them know after the interview process. It's fine to go and interview and see what you like or dislike but when it's time to get serious, bail out if you are not committed to go.

Here is a great analogy to how this played out. Coach Fitz and Rhea County are married. William Blount was an attractive school. Coach cheated on Rhea for a week or so and promised WB that he would leave to join them. 10 days and a lot of heartache later, he returns to his brideschool and asks for forgiveness.

In closing, I wish you guys and Coach Fitz at Rhea County good luck.

Variety spices things up. Nothing wrong with looking - long as you don't touch.

True dat. That upcoming sophomore class has NOT been given the recognition and props it deserves.

As for Fitz wanting to leave or testing waters elsewhere, man, money makes the world go 'round. Maye they offered him a bucket full more than Rhea Co. Other things make the world go 'round, too, like opportunities for your family members. His wife's a teacher and nobody likes her - she's terrible in the classroom and has a bad rep with the kids so maybe he thinks a fresh start would be good for her. Also, they have a child with many challenges. Maybe another area has more opportunities, schools better equipped to give their son what he is going to need in coming years. Hometown loyalty aside - come on, give the guy a break. Does anybody remember the man stepping down to let Hammontree have a shot at the head coach position? If that doesn't illustrate a MAN, I don't know what does?

If he wants to better himself career wise and make a better life for his family - and that leads him somewhere else - how can anybody point a finger at him for that? Come on, lighten up on the guy. I hope he stays but if he doesn't, it doesn't make him Satan.

You make some good points and I agree with them to a certain degree. I guess it's just a fact that he's applied for so many different schools it's like he just wants to get out of here. That said, none of us are inside is head, so who knows what he's thinking. Also, I thought it was more of a forced resignation when Hammontree came around. I may be wrong on that. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

You make some good points and I agree with them to a certain degree. I guess it's just a fact that he's applied for so many different schools it's like he just wants to get out of here. That said, none of us are inside is head, so who knows what he's thinking. Also, I thought it was more of a forced resignation when Hammontree came around. I may be wrong on that. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Way I understand it, he (Fitzgerald) saw the hand-writing on the wall but he could have bucked it. I expected him to. But he didn't. He graciously and I do mean graciously stepped aside to let Hammontree have a go at turning the program around. Of course, that didn't happen. Hammontree proved it isn't necessarily the man steering the boat that makes the crew a great one. I think Fitzgerald handled that situation with a lot of dignity and class. It sure earned him a lot of respect points in my book.