CAK 2009

JuniorsDad

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. not sure if he is gonna scrimmage Tuesday. Does anybody know anything about Central or West? also another question.. is the jamboree quarter 8 minutes or 12? :o

I can't provide you with an in-depth analysis of Central or West. But for an overview I believe both of these teams will be physical and fast. Central is a 5A school and West is 5A or 6A. West runs the veer and will throw some. I've been told they have a D-1 prospect on the D-line. Central is young, but expected to be better than last years team, which was not up to Central's standards. Both of these games should be big challenges for CAK. We should find out if our defense has really taken that step up that they appear to have taken in our first two scrimmages, because both of these teams should be better offensively than what we have seen so far. Our scheme on offense should provide opportunities to move the ball, but we need to improve our running game and the pass blocking from our backfield to be consistantly successfull. Looking forward to both.

Central info from Murphy Fair preview:

5 defensive starters returning

3 offensive starters returning

They are a 5A team this year. They went 4-6 last year but had a number of key players miss a lot of playing time due to injury. Many of those key players are back. Looks like several returning skill players.

IMO, this will be by far our biggest challenge so far. They will have some very good athletes that we will have to try to match up with. I hope our guys are ready!

Nice job tonight at Central. The offense looked very good IMO and the defense did well while missing several starters. #22 was on fire in his blocking assignments. Nice also to see a couple of plays to the fullbacks. The snaps looked very good. Great also to see some of the younger guys making some great plays. Overall, definite progress IMO.

West according to Murphy Fair:

West is 5A, and finished with a 5-7 record last year, winning one playoff game before being knocked out by Maryville. They played a lot of younger players last year, actually playing more sophomores than seniors. They have a lot returning. Sounds like their strength is size, experience, and depth more so than speed. QB is Christian Francis (a junior), son of UT and NFL QB Jeff Francis. They have a college prospect in returning CB / WR Stephen Gyebison who runs a 4.5 and is considered a definite college prospet. Their secondary has 3 returning starters.

One thing I noticed on the videos about West on both WVLT and Prepxtra is that Coach Cummings and team seem very confident and optimistic about this team. This will be an outstanding preseason test for the Warriors.

To echo Govolsknox, I thought CAK did a nice job tonight competing with a bigger, faster team than the ones they have seen in the other scrimmages. Central was definitely more physical, but they didn't blow us off the ball. Offensively, I thought the Warriors looked a bit more versatile tonight. We actually got the fullbacks involved with some runs and screen passes. The blocking out of the backfield was better, and our center snaps were consistantly good. The QB made some nice passes and reads. #15 made a nice grab and run, and it was good to see #21 get some catches tonight. #27 had a nice catch or two as well. I'm impressed with the way our OLine pass blocks against much bigger players. Good technique, good coaching, good effort.

The defense did well again, this time against a big Oline and an athletic QB. IMO, we got out-formationed a couple of times with numerous wideouts, but we didn't seem to adjust/shift over quite far enough, allowing good blocking angles on the LB's, resulting in some big gains from simple quick passes or QB options. Nice pick by #23. The first D was missing the starting FS, CB & MLB but the subs got some valuable reps. Centrals score was the first score given up by the first D in 3 srimmages I believe. And I guess this really wasn't the first D at full strength with those missing startes.

The kicking scrimmage at the begining was valuable. Our punting game MUST improve or it is going to cost us. #85 had a couple nice deep kickoffs, one was downed in the endzone.

West should be the biggest test yet, but it is only for a quarter. Good luck guys and enjoy playing in Neyland Stadium :motorbike:

Thanks for the analysis footballdad and govolsknox. Any updates on the injuries/statuses of our injured defensive starters?

I haven't heard anything today, but prior to lastnights scrimmage I understood that all 3 players would be ready to play the opener against GRACE. As far as the jamboree goes I'm not sure if they will play or not.

IMO, we got out-formationed a couple of times with numerous wideouts, but we didn't seem to adjust/shift over quite far enough, allowing good blocking angles on the LB's, resulting in some big gains from simple quick passes or QB options.

I agree, FBD. I don't claim to be a coach, but the 2 things I noticed on defense against Central was 1. our lack of adjustment / shifting when they lined up with multiple WR's on one side. This left us exposed to the quick hitting pass. There simply is not enough time to adjust after the snap to prevent a substantial gain IF the offense executes well. Cental executed that extremely well, no errant passes, allowing their WR to get up field and gain 8-12 yards on a simple, high percentage pass play. 2. It appeared to me that on the option, we had too many responding to the fullback dive fake, leaving us exposed to an athletic running QB keeping the ball. IMO, defending the option is assignment football. This has given us some trouble in the past (Boyd & Loudon last year) and we will certainly see it this year. I would like to see us make progress handling an athletic dual threat QB. JMHO.

Thanks gvk, how do you think we'll fare against grace's newly implemented wing-t offense?

It concerns me. Our defense relies on speed reacting to the play and gang tackling, as typically we are smaller than our opponent. Generally this works in our favor. However, both the wing T and the option (which play off mis-direction) use these two very good characteristics against us. I believe this combined with the fact that our defensive formation is fixed, 4-4, cover 3, are two reasons that overall we have been successful but specifically we have struggled against the wing T and teams that have an athletic running QB. IMO, it is a match up issue, at least in part. We have to remain very disciplined against these types of offenses.

Now as far as Grace is concerned, it is yet to be seen if they have athletes than can create match up problems given the above. I believe the game is very winnable for CAK, but we will not be able to overlook them and be successful IMO. I think it is a good opportunity for us to work on an area that needs work. Disclaimer: Again, I don't claim to be a coach, just a fan making observations.