Video Taping Games

chunkybfunky

Ok I am going to give you my position as a coach on pitch calling. The two girls I currently have pitching and catching have been together as pitcher and catcher since they were old enough to start. My catcher knows my pitcher better than any one. When I first took the team, a pitching coach called pitches for them. However as sophomores I began to give them control of pitch selection. Now as Seniors, they are in total control. I think it is important that we as coaches give guidance, encouragement, and feedback. A wonderful tool is the video of the game. Using the video, you can say to them, "Okay why should have called a different pitch? Why do you think that pitch was so effective at that point?" Anyway, back to what I was saying. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Allowing the catcher, in this case, to call in pitches is a good thing. She knows much than I do what is working and what is not. These two have played against most the girls they face either school or during travel ball. They know where they hit, what they hit, and what they cannot hit. It really situational call for coaches.

This reply made me question something I thought about for years. Video is used in many other sports, so how would it be best implemented in softball?

If you currently use video of games, how do you do it/use it?

Thanks

This reply made me question something I thought about for years. Video is used in many other sports, so how would it be best implemented in softball?

If you currently use video of games, how do you do it/use it?

Thanks

There are several professional baseball teams as well as college baseball / softball teams that have been using this tool / methodology for coaching hitters and pitchers for some time now including Coach Candrea with the University of Arizona and 2008 Olympic team.

THe HITTING ZONE has been working with a few schools this spring videoing their hitters and providing a detailed analysis of their hitter's swings for the coaching staff to review with each athlete. The Hitting Zone will come out to your game and video all of your batters at bats for the entire game. Then using a video enhancing software analyze your hitters slowing the video down to 60 frames per second. This allows us to pinpoint each step within the swing including the point of contact with the ball. Using 12 predefined steps within the swing, the athletes' swings are then set to a still picture strip that also has Amanda Freed from the Olympic softball team across the top of the page synced to that same exact point in her swing to give you, the coach / hitting instructor and the player a reference point to talk to. We also provide you with a copy of the slow motion video file that correlates to the picture strips, so you may use that in discussion with your player as well. The teams we have been working with this spring have noted significant improvements in their hitters. The athletes as well have noted how this tool has helped them to improve their swings making more solid powerful contact.

Feel free to contact us at hittingzone@comcast.net or (931) 320-4160 for more information or to schedule for us to come video your next game.