illegal pitch= dead ball or delay dead ball

Mr knowitall

During a game field ump calls illegal pitch as ball is thrown. Batter gets hit and beats throw to first. Field ump ran in yelling "dead ball". Batter is left at first. Tonight a friend asked the ump who was behind the plate what the call was, he said "delayed dead ball". I have never heard of this as had he. He said the batter should not be punished for a illeagle pitch. ASA says dead ball when called. What does everybody else think. Baseball it is a dead ball. One ump tonight said it is a dead ball but the one who made the call the other night said head of officials told them in a email that it is a delay dead ball.

What does everybody else think????? BTW, had no effect on game, just a strange call.

I say that if a batter hits what was called an illegal pitch - the ball is live and both teams should play it out until the play is over. At that point in time, the offensive team gets to choose either the result of the batted ball OR accept the illegal pitch and return the batter to the box and add a 'ball' to the count and advance any baserunners one base from where they were before the illegal pitch.

The batter gets hit, or gets a hit?

When a pitcher throws an illegal pitch the umpire is supposed to call it right away. However, if the pitcher has already delivered the ball and the batter swings and hits the ball, it is up to the batter's (coach's) discression whether or not to keep the hit. If the ball is not swung at then it is a ball no matter what and any batters on base get to advance. So in essence, if they batter grounds out or hits a fly ball, she will hit again. If she gets a hit then she are allowed to stay on base. It is sort of like denying the penalty in football...weird, I know...

The batter gets hit, or gets a hit?

Batter hit the ball.

When a pitcher throws an illegal pitch the umpire is supposed to call it right away. However, if the pitcher has already delivered the ball and the batter swings and hits the ball, it is up to the batter's (coach's) discression whether or not to keep the hit. If the ball is not swung at then it is a ball no matter what and any batters on base get to advance. So in essence, if they batter grounds out or hits a fly ball, they will hit again. If they get a hit then the are allowed to stay on base. It is sort of like denying the penalty in football...weird, I know...

Is this just a high school rule????