Catchers

catchman

Everyone knows catchers are the heros that never get the attention they deserve. I think we need to give the attention they derserve by posting the names of the ones that are doing their jobs not just to bragg on one . Every one loves a pat on the back. I know there are plenty of them. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Danie Sanders [ Station Camp]

Emlie Nichols [ White House]

Erica Duke [ UTM ]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathryn Young - Catcher for the University of North Alabama Lions & North Alabama Kraze 18U - Kathryn is a graduate of Central High School and currently attends the University of North Alabama where she plays for the Lions softball team and is a member of the Student Athletic Advisory Commitee. During the fall she served as head coach of the North Alabama Kraze 16U travel team and often uses her spare time to mentor younger players.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/defau...;playerID=65444

Kathryn Young - Catcher for the University of North Alabama Lions & North Alabama Kraze 18U - Kathryn is a graduate of Central High School and currently attends the University of North Alabama where she plays for the Lions softball team and is a member of the Student Athletic Advisory Commitee. During the fall she served as head coach of the North Alabama Kraze 16U travel team and often uses her spare time to mentor younger players.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/defau...;playerID=65444

Now this is a huge pat on the back,, Great job girl.. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

#5 Savanna Bell - Senior, Wilson Central

#9 Sara Beth Roberts - Sophmore, Mt. Juliet

These are two of the best I have seen this year, both have great arms, a good head for the game as well as big bats. The incredible thing is Roberts is just a sophmore and playing way above par. I've watched her for a couple years now, heck she was throwing girls out from her knees in middle school. Another to watch is Shelby Webb, another good sophmore out of Sycamore. Last I heard though she has been playing some 3rd in favor of a senior but you've gotta get that big bat in the line-up somehow. She should be at the top of some lists next year if she keeps her game on and head level.

Disclaimer: None of these players are my daughter for all you thread flammers out there!

#5 Savanna Bell - Senior, Wilson Central

#9 Sara Beth Roberts - Sophmore, Mt. Juliet

These are two of the best I have seen this year, both have great arms, a good head for the game as well as big bats. The incredible thing is Roberts is just a sophmore and playing way above par. I've watched her for a couple years now, heck she was throwing girls out from her knees in middle school. Another to watch is Shelby Webb, another good sophmore out of Sycamore. Last I heard though she has been playing some 3rd in favor of a senior but you've gotta get that big bat in the line-up somehow. She should be at the top of some lists next year if she keeps her game on and head level.

Disclaimer: None of these players are my daughter for all you thread flammers out there!

Both MJ & WC have two good freshman catchers with big bats, Racheal Atip playing 3rd/catcher and Kelsey Swafford for WC getting in some time @ 3rd/catcher behind Savanna and Sara Beth. Kelsey hit about 3-4 in middle school and 3-4 out during travel ball...Both are making big footprints in their programs!

Everyone knows catchers are the heros that never get the attention they deserve. I think we need to give the attention they derserve by posting the names of the ones that are doing their jobs not just to bragg on one . Every one loves a pat on the back. I know there are plenty of them. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Danie Sanders [ Station Camp]

Emlie Nichols [ White House]

Erica Duke [ UTM ]

Heather Brown - freshman from Lebanon - she is great!

Heather Brown - freshman from Lebanon - she is great!

You said it, trublu, what a hard job it is! Unless you just got a stud on the rubber, most catchers at some time are made to look like they can't catch a cold! Over the head, in the dirt, even behind batters...can really make em' look like the worst on the team to most novice fans...they go unappreciated too much! I have heard the girl from lebanon was a goodone too...and a pretty good stick also.....lookin foward to seeing her at some point.....your right, they all need a pat on the back often for a thankless job most of the time! Its always great to see the pitcher and catcher meet after each inning and congrat each other.....

You said it, trublu, what a hard job it is! Unless you just got a stud on the rubber, most catchers at some time are made to look like they can't catch a cold! Over the head, in the dirt, even behind batters...can really make em' look like the worst on the team to most novice fans...they go unappreciated too much! I have heard the girl from lebanon was a goodone too...and a pretty good stick also.....lookin foward to seeing her at some point.....your right, they all need a pat on the back often for a thankless job most of the time! Its always great to see the pitcher and catcher meet after each inning and congrat each other.....

The catcher and the pitcher are a team within a team. The catcher does have a tough job. My daughter is a pitcher and I know she really appreciates the girls that catch her. This season, her and Heather have gone from not really knowing each other to almost becoming one. This is the way it should be, they compliment each other. And Heather can do the same thing with our other pitcher. No matter who is pitching she adjusts to the different pitching styles and speeds. Heather has a very brigh future ahead of her.

In upper East TN this year I have seen three or four that I felt standout: Whitley Hensley senior at Unicoi County (already signed to play at ETSU), Brittany Eggers of Elizabethton HS (I think she is a senior but I'm not sure), Mckenzie Eggers of Unaka HS (signed with Milligan College). Another one I like is the soph catcher at Johnson County, Allyson Reece.

Just a question to add...how many coaches actually HAVE THEIR CATCHERS CALL PITCHES TODAY? Has this become a skill that coaches have taken over for themselves? I see a minority of catchers doing so now...

This is an answer to the question about coaches allowing catcher to call pitches:At the beginning of the season our coaches worked with our freshman catcher and they called the pitches. However, as the season has gone on they have gradually turned the responsibility over to her. She is learning as she goes under their guidance and doing a wonderful job.

This is an answer to the question about coaches allowing catcher to call pitches:At the beginning of the season our coaches worked with our freshman catcher and they called the pitches. However, as the season has gone on they have gradually turned the responsibility over to her. She is learning as she goes under their guidance and doing a wonderful job.

That's what I'm talking about: teaching it and gradually giving the responsibility over to the catcher. IF a catcher has a good working relationship with the pitcher, understands her role and has a good grasp of pitch calling strategies then she should be calling pitches. IMO some coaches have either taken this over as a "control thing" or coaches at lower levels (or travel ball) have not allowed the catchers to develop this skill.

Thanks for the reply!