Soccer A/AA: Private vs Public

MVM

I guess I'm just early this year, with the old adage private schools shouldn't be playing with the public schools because public schools can't compete with the privates in soccer. Yada Yada Yada

Well, I ask you....Is the tide turning? No disrespect to some of the private schools, but some of the big names are no longer in the hunt. Boyd, Notre Dame, Catholic to name a few. Replaced with names of Alcoa and East Ridge. Are the privates slipping or are the publics catching up?

I got my opinion why this is which I've stated many times on these boards, but I'd like to here yours.

And Oh, Lets keep our topic about soccer and not about any of those lesser sports like football or basketball. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I can't speak for all of the cases, but in Alcoa's case, Coach Gorman has been building a program over the past 5 years. They have increased the number of club players on their teams, and have had quality coaching on both sides. I believe that the investment into soccer, by some of these public schools, is now paying off. Also, Alcoa fans and families have really gotten into it, and supported it, as well.

Again, MVM, I think it boils down to club. What are the players doing in the off season (of high school)? Club is almost like the off season weight room in football. Gets them ready!

I guess I'm just early this year, with the old adage private schools shouldn't be playing with the public schools because public schools can't compete with the privates in soccer. Yada Yada Yada

Well, I ask you....Is the tide turning? No disrespect to some of the private schools, but some of the big names are no longer in the hunt. Boyd, Notre Dame, Catholic to name a few. Replaced with names of Alcoa and East Ridge. Are the privates slipping or are the publics catching up?

I got my opinion why this is which I've stated many times on these boards, but I'd like to here yours.

And Oh, Lets keep our topic about soccer and not about any of those lesser sports like football or basketball. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Does it really matter if they are or not - IF there were no private schools - people would just "transfer" all over the place like the folks that don't go to privates do now - or go to whichever open enrollment school had the "best" whatever sport their child wanted to play. My guess if there were no private schools, economics would be a factor in what public schools would excel - with some exceptions. And you would be having the same arguments, just that privates would not be in the argument becuse they would not exist.......

Does it really matter if they are or not - IF there were no private schools - people would just "transfer" all over the place like the folks that don't go to privates do now - or go to whichever open enrollment school had the "best" whatever sport their child wanted to play. My guess if there were no private schools, economics would be a factor in what public schools would excel - with some exceptions. And you would be having the same arguments, just that privates would not be in the argument becuse they would not exist.......

I agree. As long as some are getting beat, there will always be a reason to find blame with the ones winning. If privates were not here, it would be posts against magnets, etc.....

I can't speak for all of the cases, but in Alcoa's case, Coach Gorman has been building a program over the past 5 years. They have increased the number of club players on their teams, and have had quality coaching on both sides. I believe that the investment into soccer, by some of these public schools, is now paying off. Also, Alcoa fans and families have really gotten into it, and supported it, as well.

Again, MVM, I think it boils down to club. What are the players doing in the off season (of high school)? Club is almost like the off season weight room in football. Gets them ready!

First I agree Coach Gormon deserves a big /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> for his efforts, and G you know what I always say..He with the most club players will win,...but that is not the case with East Ridge. There's other factors which I will not revel at this time.

I'm sorry Redog I did not mean this to actually be a public/private debate per say. But more of why are the year end year out top dogs slipping and the year end year "hate to use this term" perennial losers suddenly winning.

G nailed why Alcoa has improved ....but that doesn't explain why some others have improved.