East TN

HOOPSGURU

Catholic should be competitive in the district, but year in year out it's going to be tough for them to be a top 3 team because you always figure that Bearden, Farragut, Lenoir City and Maryville will be the top 4 (Not Necessarily In That Order). I'm not downing the Irish it's just that Bearden and Farragut are two of the largest schools in East Tennessee and have great athletic programs with tons of talent walking the halls. As for Maryville they are going to be well coached for as long as Coach E is there doing his thing. Not to mention that they have great athletic programs and a large population. Lenoir City has the reigning MVP of the district returning along with some key pieces that will make big contributions.

Then you've got William Blount and West. I know for a fact that WB has a great coach that will always keep his team in the mix and West is loaded with athletic ability. I've heard that WB has had a strong summer and won some big games. I know it's only summer, but the last 2 years they've been very young and have experienced growing pains. It might be time for them to take a step forward with Ballard leading the way.

I love what Coach Hutchins has done at Catholic and think he's a tremendous coach, but district 4AAA is a tall order for anyone to compete in.

It will be very tough for the Irish, but people said the same thing when Catholic moved to Division II (which they eventually won a couple of region titles and made a couple of state tournament appearances) and then to AA (where they won 2 regular season district titles, a tournament title, and a state tournament appearance as well). The talent level at Catholic is picking up. They have 3 extremely talented freshmen in Terrance Hall, Chris Cox and Kyle Anders. Next years freshman class will be just as talented as well. If the coaching staff can keep developing these kids they'll be at least competitive, not sure if they'll win any district titles or go to state, but try to make a regional appearance once in a while. To be honest with you the Irish have played some of these AAA teams in the past (Farragut, Powell, West, Campbell County, Central, Lenoir City (in scrimmages only), Bearden (in the Jamboree) and more than held their own. I know it's past, but I don't see how these teams can be more talented than the Brentwood Academy teams that Catholic played with David Harrison, Brandon Wright, Vic King etc. or the teams in Kentucky like Bryan Station. We'll see. After all it's still summer.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be very tough for the Irish, but people said the same thing when Catholic moved to Division II (which they eventually won a couple of region titles and made a couple of state tournament appearances) and then to AA (where they won 2 regular season district titles, a tournament title, and a state tournament appearance as well). The talent level at Catholic is picking up. They have 3 extremely talented freshmen in Terrance Hall, Chris Cox and Kyle Anders. Next years freshman class will be just as talented as well. If the coaching staff can keep developing these kids they'll be at least competitive, not sure if they'll win any district titles or go to state, but try to make a regional appearance once in a while. To be honest with you the Irish have played some of these AAA teams in the past (Farragut, Powell, West, Campbell County, Central, Lenoir City (in scrimmages only), Bearden (in the Jamboree) and more than held their own. I know it's past, but I don't see how these teams can be more talented than the Brentwood Academy teams that Catholic played with David Harrison, Brandon Wright, Vic King etc. or the teams in Kentucky like Bryan Station. We'll see. After all it's still summer.

I know Terrence Hall pretty well, but could you tell me what school Cox and Anders last attended and if they are playing AAU?

I know Terrence Hall pretty well, but could you tell me what school Cox and Anders last attended and if they are playing AAU?

Chris Cox went to Sacred Heart, Kyle Anders went to Karns Middle. Kyle's older brother played baseball at Catholic, just graduated this spring. They both play AAU, not sure what team though. Freshman class is talented not a lot of height though, but some very good guards.

Chris Cox went to Sacred Heart, Kyle Anders went to Karns Middle. Kyle's older brother played baseball at Catholic, just graduated this spring. They both play AAU, not sure what team though. Freshman class is talented not a lot of height though, but some very good guards.

John Anders (Kyle's older brother) did not graduate yet, he will be a rising senior. From what I hear he is a great basketball player but has chosen baseball (unfortunate for the Catholic Basketball program). He went down early in the baseball season with Tommy John and should be back throwin' heat in 2010!

As far as Farragut goes, there basketball program is decent but Catholic will not struggle with winning those games. The real games and test of talent will be if they can keep within single digits against Bearden.

Catholic has speed, height, and good physical strength in the starters and the bench. The key to being successful in AAA is if Coach Hutch can rest the legs of his starters while keeping his team in the game with his strong bench players (good rising juniors). Hutch has a history of having a stong bench but never really using it enough and those tight games become losses when the final buzzer goes off.

Reply back in the spring when Broussard, Williamson, Bodewig, Branch, Quayle, Cox, Stephens, Ross, Adams, Fox, etc...are all in the paper for great performances that no one ever expected from a team moving from AA to AAA.

The favorite in 4AAA must be Maryville. Lenior City has the single best player, but a new coach will have an impact. Farragut will have it weakest team in the last 10 years, and Bearden will be young. Coach Hutchins will have a game plan that can deal with a single player, but CAtholic may have trouble with teams like Maryville and Bearden - teams that are disciplined and can deal with Catholics style of play. Historically, as others have commented, Catholic has been competitive with Farragut, West, Powell and others in Region 2. It will be an interesing year.

Catholic should be competitive in the district, but year in year out it's going to be tough for them to be a top 3 team because you always figure that Bearden, Farragut, Lenoir City and Maryville will be the top 4 (Not Necessarily In That Order). I'm not downing the Irish it's just that Bearden and Farragut are two of the largest schools in East Tennessee and have great athletic programs with tons of talent walking the halls. As for Maryville they are going to be well coached for as long as Coach E is there doing his thing. Not to mention that they have great athletic programs and a large population. Lenoir City has the reigning MVP of the district returning along with some key pieces that will make big contributions.

Then you've got William Blount and West. I know for a fact that WB has a great coach that will always keep his team in the mix and West is loaded with athletic ability. I've heard that WB has had a strong summer and won some big games. I know it's only summer, but the last 2 years they've been very young and have experienced growing pains. It might be time for them to take a step forward with Ballard leading the way.

I love what Coach Hutchins has done at Catholic and think he's a tremendous coach, but district 4AAA is a tall order for anyone to compete in.

The favorite in 4AAA must be Maryville. Lenior City has the single best player, but a new coach will have an impact. Farragut will have it weakest team in the last 10 years, and Bearden will be young. Coach Hutchins will have a game plan that can deal with a single player, but CAtholic may have trouble with teams like Maryville and Bearden - teams that are disciplined and can deal with Catholics style of play. Historically, as others have commented, Catholic has been competitive with Farragut, West, Powell and others in Region 2. It will be an interesing year.

I saw Farragut at the Karns camp and they may actually be better than a year ago. They don't have Watson and Mixer slowing them down and Coach Dodgen has started running dribble drive motion which has really opened things up for the perimeter players which will be their strength. I was impressed and shocked with what I saw from them. I would like to see the Irish beat the Admirals, but I don't know if they can.

I saw Farragut at the Karns camp and they may actually be better than a year ago. They don't have Watson and Mixer slowing them down and Coach Dodgen has started running dribble drive motion which has really opened things up for the perimeter players which will be their strength. I was impressed and shocked with what I saw from them. I would like to see the Irish beat the Admirals, but I don't know if they can.

That may be true, but the Irish have a 5 game winning streak against the Admirals and the last time Farragut beat Catholic was February 2001. I know they don't play every year and the last time both teams matched up was November 2005, when the Irish beat them in an overtime thriller dressing 7 players. Matt Parton's senior year.

Cleveland Team Camp - June 5-6

Karns Team Camp - June 8-10

Maryville Team Camp - June 8-11

Webb Team Camp - June 12-13

Rhea Co Team Camp - June 15-17

Knox Central Team Camp - June 16-18

in the knox central camp i dropped in to see a few games..fulton was there,cosby county,central,catholic was also there,and other teams..i saw catholic play central..and at first i thought that catholic didnt have a chance against them..but catholic was killing them..The score was 22-19 catholic was winning..the starting point guard Lucas Branch, sophmore was having a bad start..now mind you it was 6 minutes left on the clock and they were playing 15 minute halves..it was still the first half..and the coach went to his bench..he put in an incoming freshman by the name of Terrance Hall..Terrance Hall really great assists to his teamates..i guess the coach decided to continue letting Terrance Hall because he played mostly all of the 2nd half..Terrance Hall ended the game with 6 points 8assists 2 reb 1 steal and 2 blocks..if you ask me thats pretty good for a 5'6 point guard..AND HES AN INCOMING FRESHMAN!!!

Based on what I saw from several team camps, West should be the favorite in District 4AAA. They are pretty athletic and seem to have depth. I think Farragut and Maryville will battle for second and third. I didn't see Bearden play, but know they will be pretty good even though they lost Campbell to Fulton. Catholic looked big and will definitely beat a few teams. LC will struggle due to lack of depth even though they have the best player in the league in Hood. I expect it will be a wide open race next year with the top team having at least 4 losses in district.

Based on what I saw from several team camps, West should be the favorite in District 4AAA. They are pretty athletic and seem to have depth. I think Farragut and Maryville will battle for second and third. I didn't see Bearden play, but know they will be pretty good even though they lost Campbell to Fulton. Catholic looked big and will definitely beat a few teams. LC will struggle due to lack of depth even though they have the best player in the league in Hood. I expect it will be a wide open race next year with the top team having at least 4 losses in district.

I completely agree with you on the district being more wide open this coming year. For the past few years, I think you could pretty much pencil in Farragut, Bearden, and Maryville in the region tournament before the season began. I don't think that is the case this coming year because those three teams will lack the size and skill advantages they have had in recent years. Catholic, West, Lenoir City, and William Blount should all be able to compete with Farragut, Maryville, and Bearden this year..... I don't know about Heritage. In my mind, unlike the past few years, nobody in this district stands out next year as a sure thing to advance to the region.

West should be good as you pointed out.... this could be their breakout year like it was for Central last year.

Sorry, I forgot about West. They are quite a good team and have been impressive in the spring. I agree that it looks as open as it has in a long time.

I completely agree with you on the district being more wide open this coming year. For the past few years, I think you could pretty much pencil in Farragut, Bearden, and Maryville in the region tournament before the season began. I don't think that is the case this coming year because those three teams will lack the size and skill advantages they have had in recent years. Catholic, West, Lenoir City, and William Blount should all be able to compete with Farragut, Maryville, and Bearden this year..... I don't know about Heritage. In my mind, unlike the past few years, nobody in this district stands out next year as a sure thing to advance to the region.

West should be good as you pointed out.... this could be their breakout year like it was for Central last year.