Bowling Transfer?

slimsdaddy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess that if Dugger is not recruiting them, then they are not all americans.

Dr. Enough you can't stay away from the Unaka situation can you? You blast us on a E-town Hv post now? what class from a grown adult. I don't think Coach Dugger is recruiting anybody, Cara & her family most likely made this decision on their own for more opportunities, & I don't think Coach Dugger would turn her down. Players from E-town may or may not get mad about her decision to move. Hopefully they can all just bond together & have another great season. I know what kind of player she is, she will work hard for her playing time.

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Krich, I did get some information on the transfer. Everything is legal and final. The family did move into Elizabethton, are selling or have already sold their old house. Kara has been playing with them this summer at camps but only after approval from the TSSAA. Yes this will hurt the Happy Valley basketball program. Take a player of that talent away and any program will suffer. They will have a hard time replacing the offense she generated for them. Also just the intensity she played with I'm not sure anyone left will be able to take that leadership role. On the other hand maybe some of the other players will decide to step up themselves instead of sitting back and expecting Kara to do it. They could have better team work but will not be as good as a team. Now for Elizabethton. What an addition to pick up. If this team can get the right chemistry they will be a very good team. The only draw back I see with them will be the lack of post players. Jasmine will hold her own but don't see much help from anyone else in that position. A small, quick, aggressive line up could be in the future for them also. They should set their goals pretty high for next season.

Now for my personal view on the situation. I'm not for one transfering their junior year, especiallly to another team in the same conference. If they wanted to go to this school the best thing would to have done it early. You may transfer looking for better coaching, but with only two years how much can really be done, not sure. If you transfer for exposure, better competition then to a team in the same conference doesn't help much. Maybe a tournament game here or there. If you transfer because the other team has a better chance to go deep into the playoffs then that is probably just a short term goal. If you transfer for academic reasons, I can't argue with that. I'm sure in this case a lot of thought was put into this decision and it wasn't done quickly. I'm sure her parents have done what they think is best for her and her brother. Sometimes these transfers really work out, sometimes they don't. I do hope for the best for both programs. Will be interesting to see how everyone reacts next season. I'm sure some of Elizabethton's opponents aren't too glad about it. Especially the ones in the other region knowing they will probably have to face them to get to the state tournament.

Now Krich, are you happy? I have broken my silence on this matter. What is your opinion on the matter?

Dr. Enough you can't stay away from the Unaka situation can you? You blast us on a E-town Hv post now? what class from a grown adult. I don't think Coach Dugger is recruiting anybody, Cara & her family most likely made this decision on their own for more opportunities, & I don't think Coach Dugger would turn her down. Players from E-town may or may not get mad about her decision to move. Hopefully they can all just bond together & have another great season. I know what kind of player she is, she will work hard for her playing time.

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Quit posing as a 16 year old on coachT. One user name is enough. Every reader knows you are not one of the players, just one of the parents. For the record, I was using trustworthy's quote on the all-Americans. Which brings me to ask, is your daughter going to go play for Coach Dugger?

Quit posing as a 16 year old on coachT. One user name is enough. Every reader knows you are not one of the players, just one of the parents. For the record, I was using trustworthy's quote on the all-Americans. Which brings me to ask, is your daughter going to go play for Coach Dugger?

Dr.,

I know that the teenager you're addressing is indeed, a player; and a very good one.

And in two sports. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

In fact, she had an outstanding performance at the UT Speed Camp last week.

In other words, you're way outta bounds here.

Dr.,

I know that the teenager you're addressing is indeed, a player; and a very good one.

And in two sports. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

In fact, she had an outstanding performance at the UT Speed Camp last week.

In other words, you're way outta bounds here.

It was just a guess, and for lack of better words, a bad one on my part. As you can tell I have no DOG in the fight. All of my post are from an outside view. I do think screenandroll said it best, I think later down the road these girls will come to regret not playing. I have experienced this personally and regret it still to this day, 17 years later. After all they are 16 and if they are missing being there now, imagine 10 to 15 years from now. I know you are going to say it's their decision, and it is, but they are 16, IMO it is up to the adults to guide them, not paint a false picture, life is tough, and it's only going to get tougher. As you can tell I'm not a fan of quitting. IMO, and again IMO, rangerchick, if you miss playing, go, and play. IMO, if the parents and fans supported your decision to quit, they will support your decision to play. I hope not another bad guess. Rangerchick, sorry for the assumption in my previous post.

Krich, I did get some information on the transfer. Everything is legal and final. The family did move into Elizabethton, are selling or have already sold their old house. Kara has been playing with them this summer at camps but only after approval from the TSSAA. Yes this will hurt the Happy Valley basketball program. Take a player of that talent away and any program will suffer. They will have a hard time replacing the offense she generated for them. Also just the intensity she played with I'm not sure anyone left will be able to take that leadership role. On the other hand maybe some of the other players will decide to step up themselves instead of sitting back and expecting Kara to do it. They could have better team work but will not be as good as a team. Now for Elizabethton. What an addition to pick up. If this team can get the right chemistry they will be a very good team. The only draw back I see with them will be the lack of post players. Jasmine will hold her own but don't see much help from anyone else in that position. A small, quick, aggressive line up could be in the future for them also. They should set their goals pretty high for next season.

Now for my personal view on the situation. I'm not for one transfering their junior year, especiallly to another team in the same conference. If they wanted to go to this school the best thing would to have done it early. You may transfer looking for better coaching, but with only two years how much can really be done, not sure. If you transfer for exposure, better competition then to a team in the same conference doesn't help much. Maybe a tournament game here or there. If you transfer because the other team has a better chance to go deep into the playoffs then that is probably just a short term goal. If you transfer for academic reasons, I can't argue with that. I'm sure in this case a lot of thought was put into this decision and it wasn't done quickly. I'm sure her parents have done what they think is best for her and her brother. Sometimes these transfers really work out, sometimes they don't. I do hope for the best for both programs. Will be interesting to see how everyone reacts next season. I'm sure some of Elizabethton's opponents aren't too glad about it. Especially the ones in the other region knowing they will probably have to face them to get to the state tournament.

Now Krich, are you happy? I have broken my silence on this matter. What is your opinion on the matter?

Screenandroll, I agree with most of your post. I do take some issue with the part about transfering as a junior. Generally, I would agree that it's better to do it earlier. In hindsight, it would probably have been better to move after middle school. However, as with many things in life, each situation is unique. Since you appear to be somewhat familiar with the subject, you probably know that as Cara was making the transition from middle to high school that EHS had a different coach, i.e. Coach Dugger didn't take the EHS job until after the summer camp season was over. If the Bowlings had a crystal ball and had been able to predict that move, I'm guessing they may have made the transition at that time. I think the part about a coach making a difference and exposure are not totally disjoint. You may be overlooking an element of exposure that coaches can bring to the table. Exposure is not always about being seen during a game. Some high school coaches are better connected and just have a better knack for helping players get looks from prospective colleges. Likewise, some coaches do a better job of preparing kids for the next level (by both helping them attain the skill set necessary on the floor and effectively communicating the realities of what to expect off the floor). Coach Dugger has proven time and again that he has that ability. IMO, that is one thing that makes kids want to play for him.

Screenandroll, I agree with most of your post. I do take some issue with the part about transfering as a junior. Generally, I would agree that it's better to do it earlier. In hindsight, it would probably have been better to move after middle school. However, as with many things in life, each situation is unique. Since you appear to be somewhat familiar with the subject, you probably know that as Cara was making the transition from middle to high school that EHS had a different coach, i.e. Coach Dugger didn't take the EHS job until after the summer camp season was over. If the Bowlings had a crystal ball and had been able to predict that move, I'm guessing they may have made the transition at that time. I think the part about a coach making a difference and exposure are not totally disjoint. You may be overlooking an element of exposure that coaches can bring to the table. Exposure is not always about being seen during a game. Some high school coaches are better connected and just have a better knack for helping players get looks from prospective colleges. Likewise, some coaches do a better job of preparing kids for the next level (by both helping them attain the skill set necessary on the floor and effectively communicating the realities of what to expect off the floor). Coach Dugger has proven time and again that he has that ability. IMO, that is one thing that makes kids want to play for him.

Talking about transferring as a junior was about all transfers, not just in this case. Teams have started to depend on you by that time, coaches have normally made long range goals and decisions with these players in mind and the other teams have made plans without this transfer. I do feel others are hurt deeper by the later a transfer's decisions are made. In the Bowling girl's case I'm not sure about the coaching situation. As for the exposure, if a player can play they will be found. Sure some work from within never hurts but with the all the technology today most players are found. Coach Dugger has done a good job in the past with helping players and I'm sure he will do the the same here.

Talking about transferring as a junior was about all transfers, not just in this case. Teams have started to depend on you by that time, coaches have normally made long range goals and decisions with these players in mind and the other teams have made plans without this transfer. I do feel others are hurt deeper by the later a transfer's decisions are made. In the Bowling girl's case I'm not sure about the coaching situation. As for the exposure, if a player can play they will be found. Sure some work from within never hurts but with the all the technology today most players are found. Coach Dugger has done a good job in the past with helping players and I'm sure he will do the the same here.

Again...all good points. From where I sit, it's a win-win situation. Only time will tell how it turns out. Regardless, the future looks bright for Lady Cyclone basketball.

Thanks!!! DrEnuf, I was feeling soooo... Blue, I just had a birthday and I sure do wish I could be 16 again, but I am not. RangerChik is certainly 16 and NO one knows it better than soft/basketballmom. So, I am not one of the players, NEVER was, and have lost no sleep over it either, so in that being said, she is not living my dreams. But, my daughter, on the other hand, was a player, and quitting has been her decision, but I completely stand behind her. If you go back and read her post, the post should tell you she is certainly able to think for herself!!!!! She makes me proud to say she is my daughter, I will miss watching her play basketball, but I will NOT miss all the drama from this past seaon. Now, I think that should be ENOUGH of the UNAKA stuff on the Cyclone site. Good Luck to Elizabethton and Happy Valley on whatever their season holds.

I'm sure it's not a win situation for Happy Valley though..........

No doubt, it's absolutely not a win for HV. When I wrote "win-win" I obviously had Cara and the Lady Cyclones in mind. It may take some time, but in the end I think the move will benefit both. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />