Bowling Transfer?

slimsdaddy

In time I'd say. I hear that Elizabethton's point guard is none too happy having a new team mate. Those 2 have been rivals since elementary school. I just don't see them being real friendly with one another. Kristen's MySpace page would tend to collaborate. You can say what you want about camps and practice and Cara being the last one off the bench, but come time for the season Cara will be starting...and somebody who thought they would be won't. Would one of the returning starters get mad enough to quit? Time will tell. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krich, I did get some information on the transfer. Everything is legal and final. The family did move into Elizabethton, are selling or have already sold their old house. Kara has been playing with them this summer at camps but only after approval from the TSSAA. Yes this will hurt the Happy Valley basketball program. Take a player of that talent away and any program will suffer. They will have a hard time replacing the offense she generated for them. Also just the intensity she played with I'm not sure anyone left will be able to take that leadership role. On the other hand maybe some of the other players will decide to step up themselves instead of sitting back and expecting Kara to do it. They could have better team work but will not be as good as a team. Now for Elizabethton. What an addition to pick up. If this team can get the right chemistry they will be a very good team. The only draw back I see with them will be the lack of post players. Jasmine will hold her own but don't see much help from anyone else in that position. A small, quick, aggressive line up could be in the future for them also. They should set their goals pretty high for next season.

Now for my personal view on the situation. I'm not for one transfering their junior year, especiallly to another team in the same conference. If they wanted to go to this school the best thing would to have done it early. You may transfer looking for better coaching, but with only two years how much can really be done, not sure. If you transfer for exposure, better competition then to a team in the same conference doesn't help much. Maybe a tournament game here or there. If you transfer because the other team has a better chance to go deep into the playoffs then that is probably just a short term goal. If you transfer for academic reasons, I can't argue with that. I'm sure in this case a lot of thought was put into this decision and it wasn't done quickly. I'm sure her parents have done what they think is best for her and her brother. Sometimes these transfers really work out, sometimes they don't. I do hope for the best for both programs. Will be interesting to see how everyone reacts next season. I'm sure some of Elizabethton's opponents aren't too glad about it. Especially the ones in the other region knowing they will probably have to face them to get to the state tournament.

Now Krich, are you happy? I have broken my silence on this matter. What is your opinion on the matter?

Everything we heard about Cara during her eighth-grade season led many of us to believe that she would enroll at Elizabethton as a Freshman, so I'm not surprised. She's a bright young lady with strengths and weaknesses. Her game will evolve regardless of where she plays basketball. In other words, I simply see no tactical advantage.

And, I don't care.

But I am very concerned.

Transfers happen, and for varying reasons, and unfortunately there are many things that can, and often do go wrong.

A similar precedent:

Brittany Scott transferred back to Stoney Creek for her junior season. Like Cara, Brittany had amazing strengths and a few weaknesses to her game. She was one of, if not the best all-around TC-7 basketball player during her time at Unaka, an absolute joy to watch.

But, not everyone was so enthralled, and Brittany was caught up in a political fiasco that tarnished an otherwise outstanding high school experience. I sincerely hope that Cara doesn't have to endure this kind of reaction.

Happy Valley has had a few significant signings recently - Williams and Ward come to mind - and I'm reasonably sure Cara is very solid academically, so, no advantage, exposure-wise, so I'm confident that she and her family made this decision for any number of other reasons.

Tactically, this addition makes the Lady Cyclones deeper, and of course, more talented. Cara's biggest strength (IMO) is her ability to slash, initiate/draw contact, and finish at the basket and free-throw line. If her perimeter shot develops consistency - and I think it will - then her college potential will only increase, regardless of where she attends high school.

No doubt, it's absolutely not a win for HV. When I wrote "win-win" I obviously had Cara and the Lady Cyclones in mind. It may take some time, but in the end I think the move will benefit both. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I knew that etown, just giving you a hard time. You seem to know the situation, is it spelled Kara or Cara (have seen both). Always want to have the correct information on here or people like Krich let you hear about it. lol

In time I'd say. I hear that Elizabethton's point guard is none too happy having a new team mate. Those 2 have been rivals since elementary school. I just don't see them being real friendly with one another. Kristen's MySpace page would tend to collaborate. You can say what you want about camps and practice and Cara being the last one off the bench, but come time for the season Cara will be starting...and somebody who thought they would be won't. Would one of the returning starters get mad enough to quit? Time will tell. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Baller, don't they both play on the same AAU team? Had heard some players from Happy Valley and some from Elizabethton have an AAU team together. Bet that makes for some great practices now.

Cara's dad did have an AAU team the last couple of years that selected players from Elizabethton and HV (among others) played on. I'm pretty sure Kristen wasn't on it. And it's Cara with a C not a K.

Thanks, baller! I edited to change a few of 'em. When I lived in the Bay Area during the seventies-eighties, my favorite Northern California radio station was - you guessed it - "K-A-R-A" in Santa Clara. Guess I'm having trouble letting go. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Cara's dad did have an AAU team the last couple of years that selected players from Elizabethton and HV (among others) played on. I'm pretty sure Kristen wasn't on it. And it's Cara with a C not a K.

I think this year may be the first, but Kristen and Cara are on the same AAU team. There are 6 EHS players (including Cara now) and 2 HV players on the team. BTW, they qualified for nationals and are going to Orlando next month.

Sitting here lurking, I just had to laugh when I noted someone said Kristen was upset about having a new team member brought in. Have you forgotten that Kristen was on the CLOUDLAND team that won a sectional state championship in 8th grade, just before she was recruited to Elizabethton? And no, they didn't move, but she did change schools as a rising freshman.

That same team also supplied two players to Science Hill, one of which I understand was their leading scorer last year, although that is grapevine material. And another is playing for Tennessee High. One additional player truly did transfer, to an Indiana school.

Oh well, something sticks in my mind about a pot and a kettle....

The Highlander

Highlander

You need to check all your facts before posting info. You are correct about two girls from Cloudland transferring to Science Hill after their 8th grade year but neither has been close to being the leading scorer. One of the two has yet to be on the varsity team and the other did start many games on varsity last year but only averaged around 5 points a game. She has become an asset to the Science Hill program and will probably take over the point guard position this season. For the record, Johneshia Good was the leading scorer for Science Hill last season averaging about 19 points a game and signing a Division 1 scholarship with ETSU.

Highlander

You need to check all your facts before posting info. You are correct about two girls from Cloudland transferring to Science Hill after their 8th grade year but neither has been close to being the leading scorer. One of the two has yet to be on the varsity team and the other did start many games on varsity last year but only averaged around 5 points a game. She has become an asset to the Science Hill program and will probably take over the point guard position this season. For the record, Johneshia Good was the leading scorer for Science Hill last season averaging about 19 points a game and signing a Division 1 scholarship with ETSU.

Victory, that is why I said it was "grapevine material." Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. The relevant fact was the transfer status, and that is not disputable.

We played against Johnesia several times, and she is a talented player, and from what I could see a fine young lady. I'm thrilled to see that ETSU is actually recruiting locally now. When I was in high school, it was easier to get an out of state coach to look at you than to get someone from ETSU to travel a few minutes to watch local talent.

Sitting here lurking, I just had to laugh when I noted someone said Kristen was upset about having a new team member brought in. Have you forgotten that Kristen was on the CLOUDLAND team that won a sectional state championship in 8th grade, just before she was recruited to Elizabethton? And no, they didn't move, but she did change schools as a rising freshman.

That same team also supplied two players to Science Hill, one of which I understand was their leading scorer last year, although that is grapevine material. And another is playing for Tennessee High. One additional player truly did transfer, to an Indiana school.

Oh well, something sticks in my mind about a pot and a kettle....

The Highlander

I'm finding it hard to believe Kristen is upset to have Cara as a teammate. Why would she be upset? I see Cara as probably playing the 2 or 3 spot (although she can basically play any position). Kristen is the point guard. IMO, Cara makes what was already going to be a very good team even better.

Also, it's getting a little old reading all these recruiting allegations on this thread. As for Kristen, I believe she considered 3 different high schools, i.e. Cloudland, Hampton and Elizabethton, before settling on EHS. Her mom told me the deciding factor was the softball program at EHS as all three schools have quality basketball programs (unfortunately the same can't be said for softball). Note: Kristen plays both softball and basketball.

As for "the pot and kettle" reference, I'll leave you with one of my favorites. "Those living in glass houses should not cast stones." It's something to think about.../popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />