Bowling Transfer?

slimsdaddy

sparky: here's a quote for you...."old habits die hard" and it's a known fact that Dugger recruited when he coached the Etown boys team...

Baller, I think your post might be more appropriate if you were careful to differentiate between opinion and fact. I try to caveat my opinions as such when I post. For your benefit, I've included a definition: "A fact is a pragmatic truth, a statement that can, at least in theory, be checked and either confirmed or denied."

I'm quite sure I know to which instances you are referring with respect to the boys' teams, but I don't think some of the accusations on this thread are well founded. Regardless, this is a Girls' Basketball site so why not stick to the subject at hand. With that in mind, here's a fact for you to consider: When Kristen came to EHS, Coach Dugger was not the coach! So any inference that he recruited her to EHS is just false. I'm sure Highlander is aware of this fact, but I just want to clear that up for those posters/readers that aren't as familiar with the situation.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baller, I think your post might be more appropriate if you were careful to differentiate between opinion and fact. I try to caveat my opinions as such when I post. For your benefit, I've included a definition: "A fact is a pragmatic truth, a statement that can, at least in theory, be checked and either confirmed or denied."

I'm quite sure I know to which instances you are referring with respect to the boys' teams, but I don't think some of the accusations on this thread are well founded. Regardless, this is a Girls' Basketball site so why not stick to the subject at hand. With that in mind, here's a fact for you to consider: When Kristen came to EHS, Coach Dugger was not the coach! So any inference that he recruited her to EHS is just false. I'm sure Highlander is aware of this fact, but I just want to clear that up for those posters/readers that aren't as familiar with the situation.

Again this thread is just an example, and a small one at that, of the things that Coach Dugger and the Lady Cyclones will have to face this season. Etown you can try and sugar coat things all you want, but the facts are facts. You have a girl that left her home school for another and feelings are going to be hurt. She just as well threw her uniform in Happy Vally High School's face. You might want to get your facts straight, have you talked with any of the parents of the "original" Lady Cyclones? I have, and if you think they are all happy with the transfer, then you are kidding yourself. Have you talked to any of the players? I have, they'er not all happy. Someone is going to sit the bench that otherwise would be playing, you can't play 6 at one time. They are going through the summer knowing this and wondering "who" is going to be the one that sits. Remember, they to, gave their time and loyality to Coach Dugger and the Lady Cyclone program way before Cara did. I think Highlander is just trying to give everyone some insight to what the Lady Highlanders went through

Again this thread is just an example, and a small one at that, of the things that Coach Dugger and the Lady Cyclones will have to face this season. Etown you can try and sugar coat things all you want, but the facts are facts. You have a girl that left her home school for another and feelings are going to be hurt. She just as well threw her uniform in Happy Vally High School's face. You might want to get your facts straight, have you talked with any of the parents of the "original" Lady Cyclones? I have, and if you think they are all happy with the transfer, then you are kidding yourself. Have you talked to any of the players? I have, they'er not all happy. Someone is going to sit the bench that otherwise would be playing, you can't play 6 at one time. They are going through the summer knowing this and wondering "who" is going to be the one that sits. Remember, they to, gave their time and loyality to Coach Dugger and the Lady Cyclone program way before Cara did. I think Highlander is just trying to give everyone some insight to what the Lady Highlanders went through

DrEnuf, I'm not trying to sugar coat anything. On the contrary, I just want people to be objective and deal with the facts (refer to the previous post for definition of fact). Sometimes reality is a tough pill to swallow.

As a matter of fact (no pun intended), I have talked to some of the "original" Lady Cyclone parents (and players) and, so far, I have only heard positive comments about the transfer. At the same time, I'm not naive. As with most groups, I suspect there are a few "Negative Nellies" in the bunch. Sadly, the likelihood is high that some level of malcontentment would have existed with these few even if Cara hadn't transferred. Seemingly, there's always something to complain about when someone is looking for an excuse to justify their discontentment. This same type of discontentment often rears its ugly head when underclassmen start and/or play over upperclassmen. You know, it's that "entitlement" attitude again. Basically, if it's not for one thing, it will be for another.

So I suggest that the best approach might be for all the Lady Cyclone players and parents to step back, take a deep breath, and see how things play out before getting their proverbial "panties in a wad." Personally, I don't think it's an issue for most of them anyway. As I have stated during previous posts, there will be plenty of playing time available for those that are ready for varsity action. Regardless, the reality is that Cara and her family made a choice (and a smart choice in my opinion). Apparently, some people just need to get over themselves and deal with it...especially those detractors that don't have a dog in the hunt (which I suspect is the majority)! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Sparky,

Thank you for making my point about people living in glass houses not throwing stones. From up here in the clear air, it seems as though Cyclone Fans are a little touchy about the subject, for some reason. I can name, actually I did name come to think of it, basically a full roster that have transferred FROM Cloudland to other schools. I can't think of one that has transferred in. And I've been around Cloudland Lady 'Landers basketball intensively for the last ten years.

I made no mention of Kristen transferring because of Len. Not sure how you inferred that.

I was fairly certain softball had more to do with her decision than basketball, trying to remember events from a couple of years ago. And softball is definitely not an activity I have any interest in watching. Don't even know when the season is to tell you the truth. But I'm aware that Cloudland's team has struggled. Her brother also factored in the equation, Kristen isn't the only athlete in the family.

For what it's worth, Len Dugger is an acquaintance of mine, and has been since our kids were in elementary school. I like the man. He has excellent basketball knowledge.

My point was just that it was kind of funny that Kristen would be upset that someone transferred in. A little irony there for sure. Hence, the pot and kettle reference.

Maybe I should add that I've known Kristen's dad for around 25 years as well.

The Highlander

Sparky,

Just read your post after typing mine. I agree with you that there will be malcontented players and parents, no matter what happens. We've been through the playing time issue certainly, and that is the biggest single gripe. Most of it happens when the little kiddies move from youth leagues where everybody plays, into a competitive arena where the players that have talent, and motivation, and coachability are the ones that get the minutes. Coaches that want to win, will put the team on the floor that gives them the best chance, assuming the motivation and coachability factors are met. And at the high school level that is as it should be.

I don't have a dog in this fight except to see two of our rivals going at each other! That in itself is kind of fun!

The Highlander

Sparky,

Thank you for making my point about people living in glass houses not throwing stones. From up here in the clear air, it seems as though Cyclone Fans are a little touchy about the subject, for some reason. I can name, actually I did name come to think of it, basically a full roster that have transferred FROM Cloudland to other schools. I can't think of one that has transferred in. And I've been around Cloudland Lady 'Landers basketball intensively for the last ten years.

I made no mention of Kristen transferring because of Len. Not sure how you inferred that.

I was fairly certain softball had more to do with her decision than basketball, trying to remember events from a couple of years ago. And softball is definitely not an activity I have any interest in watching. Don't even know when the season is to tell you the truth. But I'm aware that Cloudland's team has struggled. Her brother also factored in the equation, Kristen isn't the only athlete in the family.

For what it's worth, Len Dugger is an acquaintance of mine, and has been since our kids were in elementary school. I like the man. He has excellent basketball knowledge.

My point was just that it was kind of funny that Kristen would be upset that someone transferred in. A little irony there for sure. Hence, the pot and kettle reference.

Maybe I should add that I've known Kristen's dad for around 25 years as well.

The Highlander

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to imply that you were inferring Kristen went to EHS because of Len. Rather, I was addressing Baller50 because I do think he/she was likely implying just that. Regardless, I wanted to clear that up for other readers that didn't know.

I am only touchy about misinformation and unfounded rumors. For instance, I believe it's only propaganda that Kristen is upset about the transfer. I actually welcome a healthy and spirited debate. In order to do that effectively, the facts need to stand alone and opinions should be identified as such.

As for Coach Dugger, I think the fact that he is a friend (especially to other young coaches) to all is a trait that endears him to many. He certainly has a wealth of basketball knowledge and he's a man of character to boot (as I'm sure you are as well).

Kids are kids and parents act like kids also sometimes. Players and parents may tell someone one thing and turn around and tell someone something else. Only time will tell the true feelings of the Cyclone troops. Etown if you think there are not going to be any problems or people should just except this then you are not thinking with rational thoughts. In a perfect world maybe this does happen but not in this case. I'm sure everything was done legal and I know it's the right of the parents of the player and the player themselves to decide where they want to play. A parent must do what they think is right for their child. But put yourself in another parent's shoes, say your daughter had worked hard to earn playing time and someone of Cara's talent stepped from an outside area and took some of her time. I don't know too many parents that wouldn't be upset with this. Now to what extend would depend on how affected the child was. You can't say there is enough playing time for everyone. There wasn't enough time before they added another player. Also put yourself in the shoes of a Happy Valley parent that cared about the basketball program (some probably don't and might be glad she is gone just for the opposite reason, more playing time for theirs) and this caliber of a player leaves the team for another team in the same conference. Probably not to happy there either. Problems will occur and they should expect them to occur. Coach Dugger will have to answer and deal with these and if they do not become too big of a distraction then yes the Lady Cyclones will be a very good team. I hope they won't be many problems and the kids can just play, at Elizabethton and Happy Valley, but I can't see this going over without some problems.

A few facts about this issue: Dugger was not the coach when Kristen transferred; softball was a factor for Kristen when deciding on a new school; Cara and Kristen are friends it does appear; I believe the dads coached on the same team one year on the boy's side at Etown National Little League; Kristen and Cara played on the Etown National girls Allstar team together at least one year.

I personally know that the parents have discussed the fact that one day they wanted to see the two play together - which would lead you to believe that Kristen is not opposed to the addition of a great player to the lineup. Oh yeah, someone told me they have seen the two going to eat together after games.

I am pretty sure Kristen and her brother would have transferred irregardless of the fact they both are athletic. Rumour has it there were personal issues behind the move and the parents have allowed people to believe what they want instead of discussing what the kids were subjected to at their previous school.

Kids are kids and parents act like kids also sometimes. Players and parents may tell someone one thing and turn around and tell someone something else. Only time will tell the true feelings of the Cyclone troops. Etown if you think there are not going to be any problems or people should just except this then you are not thinking with rational thoughts. In a perfect world maybe this does happen but not in this case. I'm sure everything was done legal and I know it's the right of the parents of the player and the player themselves to decide where they want to play. A parent must do what they think is right for their child. But put yourself in another parent's shoes, say your daughter had worked hard to earn playing time and someone of Cara's talent stepped from an outside area and took some of her time. I don't know too many parents that wouldn't be upset with this. Now to what extend would depend on how affected the child was. You can't say there is enough playing time for everyone. There wasn't enough time before they added another player. Also put yourself in the shoes of a Happy Valley parent that cared about the basketball program (some probably don't and might be glad she is gone just for the opposite reason, more playing time for theirs) and this caliber of a player leaves the team for another team in the same conference. Probably not to happy there either. Problems will occur and they should expect them to occur. Coach Dugger will have to answer and deal with these and if they do not become too big of a distraction then yes the Lady Cyclones will be a very good team. I hope they won't be many problems and the kids can just play, at Elizabethton and Happy Valley, but I can't see this going over without some problems.

No Utopian expectations from me. I've been around long enough to know better. BTW, I'm one of the more rational folks I know (LOL). I do agree with you on one thing: Some parents do act like kids at times. Their kids can only be expected to follow suit. Consequently, I do expect an occasional bump in the road. However, I expect that apart from the transfer issue anyway (re: parents sometimes act like kids). Whatever obstacles that may arise, Coach Dugger will deal with them and the team will move forward. I think most of this prophesied turmoil is wishful thinking on the part of potential rivals. I expect the Lady Cyclones to be focused and to play with a purpose. That could spell trouble for opponents next season. Go Cyclones!

Cara Bowling I wish you the best of luck and I hope you do not read these posts, but in case you do I want to tell you adults often act worse then children. I think you made a great choice. You will make a wonderful addition to the Lady Cyclone Team. Kristen you seem like a real sweet girl also from what I have seen and you are a real hard worker on the floor, so please don't get wrapped up in the nonsense of you and Cara not getting along. Again, like I said before I am a Lady Rebel Fan and we hate the Cara transferred it just makes the Lady Cyclones a tougher opponent. I wish the Lady Cyclones and the Lady Warriors the best of luck next season and hope to see you all in the Region. God Bless from South Greene

Cara Bowling I wish you the best of luck and I hope you do not read these posts, but in case you do I want to tell you adults often act worse then children. I think you made a great choice. You will make a wonderful addition to the Lady Cyclone Team. Kristen you seem like a real sweet girl also from what I have seen and you are a real hard worker on the floor, so please don't get wrapped up in the nonsense of you and Cara not getting along. Again, like I said before I am a Lady Rebel Fan and we hate the Cara transferred it just makes the Lady Cyclones a tougher opponent. I wish the Lady Cyclones and the Lady Warriors the best of luck next season and hope to see you all in the Region. God Bless from South Greene

Thanks for the well wishes from Etown. I wish the Lady Rebels much success next year as well. I regret that the re-districting has separated EHS and SGHS. We've had some classic battles over the past couple of years. Your gals got the best of us 3 of 4 times last year, but IMO all but one of the games could have gone either way. Both teams were very strong as evidenced by their respective State Tourney runs. I wish we could play at least once next regular season as I expect both teams to be among the top in East TN. If that doesn't work out, I hope to see you in the regional tournament. It would be cool for both teams to make it to Murfreesboro again next year. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Thanks for the well wishes from Etown. I wish the Lady Rebels much success next year as well. I regret that the re-districting has separated EHS and SGHS. We've had some classic battles over the past couple of years. Your gals got the best of us 3 of 4 times last year, but IMO all but one of the games could have gone either way. Both teams were very strong as evidenced by their respective State Tourney runs. I wish we could play at least once next regular season as I expect both teams to be among the top in East TN. If that doesn't work out, I hope to see you in the regional tournament. It would be cool for both teams to make it to Murfreesboro again next year. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Sounds great! I just wish they adults on this thread would drop it. She has moved and has made a I'm sure hard decision, but it is hers to make. You all need to just get over it. It's a done deal. God Bless