Any info on WHITEHAVEN and their scrimmages?

lasal2000

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What say ye comrades of Memphis Metro and the surrounding area high school football lovers. Its good to be talking about football again isn't it?

I haven't seen any football yet. I didn't go to any of the jamborees nor have I been to a scrimmage or a practice. All I know is what I see in the papers and read on this board. That being said ... some of you guys are being kind of harsh on ole Jason Smith. My goodness ... give the guy a break ... after all, this Dandy Dozen is preseason and all he has to go on is what he remembers from last year and what he's been told by area coaches. He's the one who gets paid to assess the area high school talent, so I'm going to give him the benifit of the doubt. Besides ... don't be fooled ... a lot of coaches play jamborees close to the vest because they don't count. I'll never try to assess a teams potential based upon jamboree play.

That being said ... Jason listed the Dandy Dozen in the Sunday's paper as follows:

1. MUS

2. White Station

3. Olive Branch

4. Germantown

5. Whitehaven

6. Mitchell

7. Millington

8. CBHS

9. Melrose

10. East

11. Houston

12. Briarcrest

Each school is linked to their respective schedule. I thought Whitehaven had a tough schedule ... and they do ... but they aren't the only ones though. Based upon the preseason Dandy Dozen rankings, it appears that most of the preseason favorites have beefed up their schedules. For instance ... MUS has scheduled 6 of the listed Dandy Dozen AND South Panola... are you freakin kidding me? Anybody think that MUS is trying to duck anybody? Well ... White Station has 7 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Christian Brothers also has 7 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. East has 6 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Whitehaven has 5 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Melrose has 5 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Mitchell has 4 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Briarcreast has 3. Germantown has 2. Houston has 1.

Even with this being preseason rankings ... that is pretty telling. We all know that the Dandy Dozen will change and vary as the season goes so what looks impressive now may not be in the end. That being said; it seems that Jason has the preseason District with the most teams in the Dandy Dozen to be District 16 with 5 (White Station, Whitehaven, Melrose, East, and Mitchell). DII West has 3 teams in the Dandy Dozen (MUS, CBHS, & Briarcrest). District 15 has 2 (Germantown & Houston). District 14 has 1 (Millington). The other school listed is Olive Branch which is in MS. I don't think any District 13 teams were considered in this list because of their distance from Memphis. I'm quite sure with a substantial amount of these teams playing each other that we will all agree that the end of the year Dandy Dozen will probably look quite different from the preseason Dandy Dozen.

Like ole Hank Jr. use to ask ... "Are you ready for some foootball!!!!!"

I know I am!

What say ye comrades of Memphis Metro and the surrounding area high school football lovers. Its good to be talking about football again isn't it?

That being said ... Jason listed the Dandy Dozen in the Sunday's paper as follows:

1. MUS

2. White Station

3. Olive Branch

4. Germantown

5. Whitehaven

6. Mitchell

7. Millington

8. CBHS

9. Melrose

10. East

11. Houston

12. Briarcrest

Each school is linked to their respective schedule. I thought Whitehaven had a tough schedule ... and they do ... but they aren't the only ones though. Based upon the preseason Dandy Dozen rankings, it appears that most of the preseason favorites have beefed up their schedules. For instance ... MUS has scheduled 6 of the listed Dandy Dozen AND South Panola... are you freakin kidding me? Anybody think that MUS is trying to duck anybody? Well ... White Station has 7 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Christian Brothers also has 7 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. East has 6 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Whitehaven has 5 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Melrose has 5 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Mitchell has 4 of the preseason Dandy Dozen on their schedule. Briarcreast has 3. Germantown has 2. Houston has 1.

.... I'm quite sure with a substantial amount of these teams playing each other that we will all agree that the end of the year Dandy Dozen will probably look quite different from the preseason Dandy Dozen.

Like ole Hank Jr. use to ask ... "Are you ready for some foootball!!!!!"

I know I am!

I'm definitely ready for some football!!

----------------------------------------------

Kwc, I want to add this tid bit about Melrose: Melrose did NOT look very good during their Jamboree performance, last Friday.... They better beat CBHS this Saturday or they are, more than likely, staring at 0-wins and 2-losses to open the season!!!!!

Melrose is playing at talented Madison Central, Mississippi next week.

M.C. is a 6A school which finished last year at 12-2, beating Olive Branch but losing by 1-pt to South Panola during last year's Mississippi State playoffs. The Mississippi Prep Sports Source (MPSS) pre-season State rankings have M.C. ranked at #2, right behind South Panola @ #1 (Olive Branch was ranked 3rd, btw) in their poll.

Aparently, M.C. is expected to be just as good this year.

Kwc, I want to add this tid bit about Melrose: Melrose did NOT look very good during their Jamboree performance, last Friday.... They better beat CBHS this Saturday or they are, more than likely, staring at 0-wins and 2-losses to open the season!!!!!

Melrose is playing at talented Madison Central, Mississippi next week.

M.C. is a 6A school which finished last year at 12-2, beating Olive Branch but losing by 1-pt to South Panola during last year's Mississippi State playoffs. The Mississippi Prep Sports Source (MPSS) pre-season State rankings have M.C. ranked at #2, right behind South Panola @ #1 (Olive Branch was ranked 3rd, btw) in their poll.

Aparently, M.C. is expected to be just as good this year.

TraderB, I had no idea who Masidon was when I looked at their schedule. I do know that when Melrose schedules another school that is out of state that they are usually a pretty good team ... or their history is one of tradition and winning. It doesn't surprise me that they, like MUS and Millington, are playing some of Mississippi's elite. To be the best you have to beat the best. It does nothing but make those teams stronger come playoff time. Man oh man ... all of these marquee games in Memphis. Man ... there is SO MUCH TALENT this year. MUS, MILLINGTON, WHITEHAVEN, WHITE STATION, EAST, MITCHELL, GERMNANTOWN, CBHS, MELROSE, OLIVE BRANCH, SOUTH PANOLA, MADISON. Man ... I'm sitting here pulling an all nighter at the office and I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about all of these match-ups. Not to mention .... Southwind, Houston, Fairley, Kirby, Ridgeway ... whew! MAN ... our cup overfloweth with talent and good games on the horizon. I can't wait!

You got some good points about the Pre Season, but I'm still surprised Jason Smith put Germantown at number 4. Could just be my personnal disdaine for the Wishbone and what not. What games will you guys be at Trader(I'm assuming MUS and Millington) and KWC? Anyone got any info on Lake Coromant?

You got some good points about the Pre Season, but I'm still surprised Jason Smith put Germantown at number 4. Could just be my personnal disdaine for the Wishbone and what not. What games will you guys be at Trader(I'm assuming MUS and Millington) and KWC? Anyone got any info on Lake Coromant?[/quote

I'm planning on seeing East at Olive Branch but, depending on family obligations, could end up @ the MUS-Millington game instead.

I'm not familiar with Lake Coromant..... Where are they located--State?

TraderB, I had no idea who Masidon was when I looked at their schedule. I do know that when Melrose schedules another school that is out of state that they are usually a pretty good team ... or their history is one of tradition and winning. It doesn't surprise me that they, like MUS and Millington, are playing some of Mississippi's elite. To be the best you have to beat the best. It does nothing but make those teams stronger come playoff time. Man oh man ... all of these marquee games in Memphis. Man ... there is SO MUCH TALENT this year. MUS, MILLINGTON, WHITEHAVEN, WHITE STATION, EAST, MITCHELL, GERMNANTOWN, CBHS, MELROSE, OLIVE BRANCH, SOUTH PANOLA, MADISON. Man ... I'm sitting here pulling an all nighter at the office and I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about all of these match-ups. Not to mention .... Southwind, Houston, Fairley, Kirby, Ridgeway ... whew! MAN ... our cup overfloweth with talent and good games on the horizon. I can't wait!

Yeah--this season certainly has a bunch of good-looking games on tap, kinda' like a good ol' heavyweight slug-fest!

You've hit the nail squarely on the head: playing tough opponents (win, lose or draw) it's far more beneficial to a squad's long-term improvement and success, than scheduling a bunch of "cream-puffs" and running up impressive numbers or team records!!! I think that Olive Branch's coach FINALLY, finally figured this out!

Look @ Olive Branch's schedule: East, Millington, Brentwood Academy & MUS, to open the season!!!

Now THAT, my friend, is a murderous schedule -- if I've ever seen one!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to Olive Branch's coaching staff for FINALLY risking going 0-wins and 4-losses, right out of the gate, as opposed to what they use to do--schedule horrible teams, with no chance of ever losing to or being challenged by them : Northside, Frayser, Treadwell, Hillcrest & Trezevant.

Olive Branch, and all the other area teams with super-tough schedules, are really setting themselves up for consistent playoff success. We fans, meanwhile, get treated to some seriously good, competitive football!

In the words of the late "Aunt Ester" (Sanford and Son), as pitch woman for Church's chicken: ya' "Gotta' love it!!!!!"

I'm assuming Coromant is in Northern Mississippi, its a new school so its been hard to acquire any info on them. I know they run the spread and their mascot is the Gators. I know East returns Jazzy Parker and another good tailback, but do they return that huge running back they had last year too?

Remember tough season early may mean some Ls, but it will prepare you for the playoffs, two years ago Independence had four Ls, and beat us to playoffs. In the State championship against I believe a three lose Smyrna team. All the unde :roflol: feated teams were at home.

GO TROJANS

TraderB, and all, remember if you don't get to the MUS-Millington game on Fri. night, you can come out on Sat. night and see Melrose-CBHS. That game being played @7:30 @ MUS. Proceeds benefit Bridges. Good high school football all weekend long.

BTW, Whitehaven did scrimmage MUS with MUS scoring 4 TD's to 1 with the first teams. It was the 10 play controlled version and Whitehaven did not play Flenoral or the linebacker, Bohannon (sp?) Whitehaven looks to have a very solid club.

TraderB, and all, remember if you don't get to the MUS-Millington game on Fri. night, you can come out on Sat. night and see Melrose-CBHS. That game being played @7:30 @ MUS. Proceeds benefit Bridges. Good high school football all weekend long.

BTW, Whitehaven did scrimmage MUS with MUS scoring 4 TD's to 1 with the first teams. It was the 10 play controlled version and Whitehaven did not play Flenoral or the linebacker, Bohannon (sp?) Whitehaven looks to have a very solid club.

I had forgotten all about the CBHS - Melrose game.

How does CBHS look this year??

--------------------------------------------------------

1) MUS' offense is obviously picking up where it left off, last year!

2) Defense is the biggest question mark for MUS. It appears that they did a very good job vs Whitehaven, though......That's an excellent sign for MUS; bad sign for Millington.

3) It's shocking to see Whitehaven's defense give up a whopping 4 TDs, regardless...