Gate money

CoachMikeLHS

Okay all, how many of you charge admission to your home games? How much?And, do you enforce it? I mean, if there is a group of students, or fans that will not pay, but seem to hang around and watch anyway, do you run them off?

I only ask because we have just completed our complex, and are trying to get our ducks in a row. It is not at the school, so it is hard to make people pay. There are 4 fields together and tons of people there every night.

For the last 6-7 years, we have been on an old baseball field that was fenced in. If they didn't want to pay, they just stood/sat outside the fence and watched. Last year, we tried to make them pay, but ended up stirring up some nests, and it wasn't good.

Can the Ref's just work for free from now on? Then we will just not worry about it anymore.

:D

Canes, don't start with preseason griping since those that are out there are usually doing it gratis. I have an inquiry: Last night an AD told me their preseason football "scrimmage" had a gate (charged some $). I guess they had officials there and it looked like a real game but no announcers or timekeeper. Does TSSAA condone charging a preseason gate? Maybe they look the other way for football because its a big money maker. I have never seen a gate for preseason soccer. Here is the TSSAA handbook about preseason:

Preseason Scrimmages – A school cannot practice with or scrimmage another school until both schools have practiced a minimum of three days. A school may have a maximum of 4 preseason scrimmages or 2 preseason scrimmage dates or 1 preseason scrimmage date and 2 preseason scrimmages. No tournament format of any type may be used. Preseason scrimmages should look more like practice than games.

The last sentence.. "scrimmages should look more like practice than games" However as reported on this forum, people are posting preseason scores, etc as if they are games and not practices. My take, who cares? Its preseason. Also are officials required at these "scrimmages" where it looks like a "game"? If not it would appear coaches can get whomever they want, even themselves or their assistants to help with "scrimmage management. I think they can't be played without officials if two teams show up in uniform, else it would be like a practice. The players don't know the difference during the game. They are out there giving their all regardless.

I am wondering out there if anyone is charging a preseason gate and who are NOT using TSSAA officials for these "games"

Thanks

Is it a TSSAA rule that they can't charge admission for scrimmages? I have never been charged before but Collierville has charged $3.00 A GAME this weekend----if you leave and come back for a later game, they charge again. I didn't know if this was an 'official' rule that you can't charge or not. Ideas?

Is it a TSSAA rule that they can't charge admission for scrimmages? I have never been charged before but Collierville has charged $3.00 A GAME this weekend----if you leave and come back for a later game, they charge again. I didn't know if this was an 'official' rule that you can't charge or not. Ideas?

I thought (but am not sure about this, so correct me if I am wrong) is that the only time that TSSAA cares about gate is when the playoffs start. That is when they regulate the amount, and must get sent a portion of the profits.

I believe gate (amount and type of game) is up to the school.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought (but am not sure about this, so correct me if I am wrong) is that the only time that TSSAA cares about gate is when the playoffs start. That is when they regulate the amount, and must get sent a portion of the profits.

I believe gate (amount and type of game) is up to the school.

back at CA they used to charge parents and what not, but if you were a student you got in free, until playoffs started then they said they HAD to charge everyone.