South Greene vs. Cumberland Gap at Rebel Hill

lastyear21

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you beat me starting this topic! It should be a very interesting game. CG handled union co. on friday quite impressively. The true test is how will CG fair on the road. They have a bunch of young kids and it will for sure be a hostile environment on rebel hill. I hope they can handle it well! I'm gonna say this will be a great game. And i think it may come down to the wire. Defense will be the key for CG. SG has a pretty explosive offense from what i hear. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the young panthers pull out an upset and go 1-0 in the district!!! :flower:

CG - 28

SG - 21

Have a great game guys!

I'll have to pick my Rebels taking this conference opener. Last year the score was 42-20. The Rebs D is equally as good as last years if not better and the O is twice as good this year. The O is a much more seasoned and mature group this year who worked hard during off the season, as did the D. I won't make an exact guess on the score, but I know how much they want to win their home and conference opener.

Go Rebels!

Well you beat me starting this topic! It should be a very interesting game. CG handled union co. on friday quite impressively. The true test is how will CG fair on the road. They have a bunch of young kids and it will for sure be a hostile environment on rebel hill. I hope they can handle it well! I'm gonna say this will be a great game. And i think it may come down to the wire. Defense will be the key for CG. SG has a pretty explosive offense from what i hear. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the young panthers pull out an upset and go 1-0 in the district!!! :rolleyes:

CG - 28

SG - 21

Have a great game guys!

I wouldn't go too far out on that limb because it might break. This is simply a worse CG team than last year playing a better SG team. So I am gonna say unless SG plays bad they win this one big, just like last year. Except maybe a little larger deficit.

SG - 42

CG - 14

This game may be the most important game of the year for SG. From what I've seen this early in the season, I believe that if SG wins this game it will really set the tone for them to have a great year. That being said, I must disagree a little with the above posters. I don't think this defense is better at this point than last year's. SG lost two all conference linebackers and an all county d-tackle that accounted for roughly 75% of the team's tackles. You can't immediately replace that, although this defense has surprised me despite the youth. I don't think we can adequately judge this D yet, since we've not yet faced a quality qb and passing attack. Our weakness is the secondary, even Unicoi beat us deep several times but their qb could not get them the ball. I think we will face a major challenge against Ryan Shipley and Cumberland Gap.

Offensively, I agree, we are much better (due to off season work and maturity) at the skill positions, but I'm concerned about the O-line's ability to open up holes if we get in a situation where we have to run more. As long as Scott continues to play the way he has so far, this shouldn't be a problem.

Like I said earlier, this week's conference opener is huge for SG, I don't think it is a stretch to think if we get a win here, and the defense continues to improve (especially the secondary), SG could legitimately go 9-1 (sorry SG fans, GHS is just too good).

This game may be the most important game of the year for SG. From what I've seen this early in the season, I believe that if SG wins this game it will really set the tone for them to have a great year. That being said, I must disagree a little with the above posters. I don't think this defense is better at this point than last year's. SG lost two all conference linebackers and an all county d-tackle that accounted for roughly 75% of the team's tackles. You can't immediately replace that, although this defense has surprised me despite the youth. I don't think we can adequately judge this D yet, since we've not yet faced a quality qb and passing attack. Our weakness is the secondary, even Unicoi beat us deep several times but their qb could not get them the ball. I think we will face a major challenge against Ryan Shipley and Cumberland Gap.

Offensively, I agree, we are much better (due to off season work and maturity) at the skill positions, but I'm concerned about the O-line's ability to open up holes if we get in a situation where we have to run more. As long as Scott continues to play the way he has so far, this shouldn't be a problem.

Like I said earlier, this week's conference opener is huge for SG, I don't think it is a stretch to think if we get a win here, and the defense continues to improve (especially the secondary), SG could legitimately go 9-1 (sorry SG fans, GHS is just too good).

I would love to have those guys back too, they are tough to replace! Hope our boys will keep towing the line on D and the O-line can open some holes to run it, because we do have ground speed. Agreed on the secondary, we have gotten burned more than we should have and missed too many opportunities for interceptions. Hopefully they will be working on that this week. Still have too many dropped passes! Wondering if what I have read on here is true about C Gap, it sounds like Shipley is kind of on his own this year. They apparently lost alot to graduation, maybe not last year's team.

Like I said earlier, this week's conference opener is huge for SG, I don't think it is a stretch to think if

we get a win here, and the defense continues to improve (especially the secondary), SG could legitimately go 9-1 (sorry SG fans, GHS is just too good).

I would love to have those guys back too, they are tough to replace! Hope our boys will keep towing the line on D and the O-line can open some holes to run it, because we do have ground speed. Agreed on the secondary, we have gotten burned more than we should have and missed too many opportunities for interceptions. Hopefully they will be working on that this week. Still have too many dropped passes! Wondering if what I have read on here is true about C Gap, it sounds like Shipley is kind of on his own this year. They apparently lost alot to graduation, maybe not last year's team.

I wouldn't say he's on his own...although CG does have a lot of young guys this year. They were able to really step up last Friday against Union Co. The question is can they do it on the road. It seems they are getting better with each game/scrimmage that they've played in. CG is probably better defensively than they were last year. I feel that this game could definitely be won or lost in the trenches for both teams. Whose line is gonna step up and make some holes and on the flipside, make some stops as well. This has turned into quite a nice rivalry over the years. And to the above poster...I hope you're not judging CG on the jamboree at GHS. Everybody played and it was obvious...by both teams. This will be a hard fought game from beginning to end I feel...and I'm still goin with the Panthers in this one! :roflol:

CG - 28

SG - 21

In a close one!!!!!!!!!! :bored:

During the jamboree, SG played their first team O and D the first series only and that was it. They were second team from there on. Gap scored twice on SG's second D, and SG's second team O dropped a 72 yard TD on Gap's D(not sure if it was first or second team). Now that one quarter is very difficult to judge by so I'm not trying to say it will be lopsided, I think from what I've witnessed in SG and what info I've gathered on Gap, that they are a very competitive matchup. I think the two D's are very comparable, with SG's offense getting an edge over Gap's. Should be a very entertaining game with possibly the team making the least mistakes with fewest turnovers coming out on top.

I know Gap got screwed into having to come down here again this year, but that also gives SG a bit of an advantage, that's a long trip for the kids and their fans. Not a huge factor but some advantage.

Yes, this game has become a great rivalry in a short period of time, I hope the history we have holds true with the home team winning every game so far.

Hay ,I just thought of something , the other county teams CD,WG, are playing on Thursday.Greeneville is off this week so there should be a lot of people at rebel hill this week. Barb it ain't Greeneville but we would love to have you out to the hill and see what you think ? Should be a great game

I wouldn't say he's on his own...although CG does have a lot of young guys this year. They were able to really step up last Friday against Union Co. The question is can they do it on the road. It seems they are getting better with each game/scrimmage that they've played in. CG is probably better defensively than they were last year. I feel that this game could definitely be won or lost in the trenches for both teams. Whose line is gonna step up and make some holes and on the flipside, make some stops as well. This has turned into quite a nice rivalry over the years. And to the above poster...I hope you're not judging CG on the jamboree at GHS. Everybody played and it was obvious...by both teams. This will be a hard fought game from beginning to end I feel...and I'm still goin with the Panthers in this one!

CG - 28

SG - 21

In a close one!!!!!!!!!!

It maybe be close, who knows in high school football. It depends on who shows up to play, but I am sticking with the Rebs for the win.

I have read a lot on these boards , some saying this team is playing pie teams,that team playing has no (D) no (O) . whatever. These kids did not change the rules or did they set the games they have to play . Weather it be North Greene or Greeneville . This is the greatest time in these kids lives .Lets think of that and say have fun and play hard , we will look up at the end and see what the score is . Then we will go do it next week because we all love it. SG is my school. I love to watch them play . win or lose. good luck this week

Not sure how this one is gonna play out this week. CG played well and their line surprised the heck out of me by actually getting out on screens and opening up holes for the running game. Shipley was as good as billed and threw for 212 yds with 2 td's and 2 rushing td's as well. This gives me great confidence in them for a couple reasons. 1. They had heart and wanted it. 2. They have put the injury bug behind them and looked to the future instead of thinking about who is on the sideline. 3. Younger players have stepped up and showed they can play. I have watched some of these kids play since 6th and 7th grade and now they are showing out on the field what they can do in high school. I usually keep up with SG and see what they are doing but I really dont know much about them this year. Last year on Rebel Hill wasnt one of our finer moments but I am hoping we can turn it around and pull one out. If CG plays well then I think we can atleast keep it close and maybe pull one out. Good luck to my boys, all of them and I will be there hopin its a good one. :thumb:

CG-27

SG-20