Random Knoxville Thoughts after 4 weeks

Knoxbball3

I have tried to see as many Knoxville teams as i could over the first four weeks and here are my random thoughts in no order:

Farragut: Big QB with good vision. Like to use power running game. Decent up front on both sides of line. Struggle to cover passes. Van Dyne gives a nice change at QB. Good team, don't see them running the table. A good passing team may light them up unless LB's and secondary improves. Probably a deep playoff run, but doubt they get to M'boro.

Catholic: The adjustment to the spread is going better than i thought. Athletic QB. Big up front. Too many players going both ways. Endurance is questionable. Have to avoid injuries. Moving up to 5A will stop the run early in playoffs

West: Look to be young. Struggle in running game, but seem committed to it. Impressive athlete at TE, but underutilized. Like Farragut, can't defend the pass. Good kickers. Not much else good about this team. A winning record would be an achievement.

Webb: Losing Blance hurts. Athletic and being private (recruiting) gives them a hge advantage over teams they are playing. Athletic enogh to make deep run , and possible bring a gold ball back to west Knoxville.

AE: A good team. Athletes all over the field. Probably better than Catholic, but came up just short. How they respond will be key. Improve kicking, control turnovers, and this is a good team.

Fulton: Not a typical Fulton team. A playoff apperance would be a surprise to me.

Bearden: Slow starters. Getting behind against a good team will be different than falling behind William Blount or Rhea County. Lots of yards after catch. Teams selling out to stop the RB allows QB to dink and dump. Defense flys to ball. 21 is good player. Smallish QB may hurt them if teams force him to stay in pocket. Playoff team, early exit.

Just my thoughts. Fans of schools, let me know your thoughts.

I have tried to see as many Knoxville teams as i could over the first four weeks and here are my random thoughts in no order:

Fulton: Not a typical Fulton team. A playoff apperance would be a surprise to me.

Just my thoughts. Fans of schools, let me know your thoughts.

I am not a Fulton fan but just another observer of Knox area teams. That said, even if this is not the typical Fulton team, I would be extremely surprised if it does not make the playoffs.

Austin East (3A) has beaten Fulton, but I don't see any of the remaining district teams beating them:

Pigeon Forge (3A)

Gibbs (4A)

Gatlinburg-Pittman (3A)

Carter (4A)

Union County (4A)

A 5-1 district record should be plenty good enough to get them in the playoffs.

I would guess that sweeping the other 4A teams - Gibbs, Carter, and Union County would be enough even if Fulton happened to lose at home to Gatlinburg-Pittman (possible) or at Pigeon Forge (very unlikely).

Fulton handed a good Morristown West team its only loss and has lost to one very good team (Austin East) and a probable state champion (Alcoa).

Gibbs best win of the year has been over Claiborne County. It also has lost to 1A Grace Christian.

Carter's wins are against Union County (1-2) and Grainger County (1-3). It has already lost to Hardin Valley (in its first year or varsity competition) and CAK (a good 3A team).

Gatlinburg-Pittman's schedule in its first three games has been so weak it is hard to determine whether or not it is strong enough win at Fulton. Its best win came over Oneida, a good 2A team.

Pigeon Forge and Union County are rebuilding and do not have the talent to compete with Fulton.

In summary, it's my opinion that it would take a loss to Gibbs or Carter to keep Fulton out of the playoffs. And again, in my opinion, a loss to either is unlikely.