Hillsboro at Cane Ridge

56dad

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to comment on the criticism of Coach Moreno and staff. Coach Moreno is great football coach and if given time will have great success. In order for that to happen he will first need to build a staff who understands his system (which has been difficult, due to available teaching slots). Coach Moreno's defensive system is very different from Coach Blade's. Coach Blade's is built on simplicity, which in and of itself is very wise. Coach Moreno's is much more like a collegiate system. Coaches like Coach Blade employ a, "we'll get good at what we do" approach, prefering the players "to play and not think." While systems like Coach Moreno's tend to address a multitude of situations through checks and stunts, which requires a great deal of study and preparation. I remind, Hunters Lane held opponents to 48 regular season points in 2007 (with no D1 signees).

Hillsboro lost some very talented players. In addition, they also lost some very quality coaches who worked well together. And, I know this is redundant, but they are playing some premiere teams now that fair pretty well against most anyone they play.

Losing is always tough, especially when the previous year had such a story book ending.

But hang in there, things will get better.

Good luck Burro's and good luck Coach Moreno.

I would like to comment on the criticism of Coach Moreno and staff. Coach Moreno is great football coach and if given time will have great success. In order for that to happen he will first need to build a staff who understands his system (which has been difficult, due to available teaching slots). Coach Moreno's defensive system is very different from Coach Blade's. Coach Blade's is built on simplicity, which in and of itself is very wise. Coach Moreno's is much more like a collegiate system. Coaches like Coach Blade employ a, "we'll get good at what we do" approach, prefering the players "to play and not think." While systems like Coach Moreno's tend to address a multitude of situations through checks and stunts, which requires a great deal of study and preparation. I remind, Hunters Lane held opponents to 48 regular season points in 2007 (with no D1 signees).

I don't understand what you are saying - is employing a system that your coaches nor your players can understand and expecting everyone to just wait good coaching? And your point about the number of points Hunter's Lane gave up in 2007 - great job Defensive Coordinator. DC and HC - not the same thing.

I would like to comment on the criticism of Coach Moreno and staff. Coach Moreno is great football coach and if given time will have great success. In order for that to happen he will first need to build a staff who understands his system (which has been difficult, due to available teaching slots). Coach Moreno's defensive system is very different from Coach Blade's. Coach Blade's is built on simplicity, which in and of itself is very wise. Coach Moreno's is much more like a collegiate system. Coaches like Coach Blade employ a, "we'll get good at what we do" approach, preferring the players "to play and not think." While systems like Coach Moreno's tend to address a multitude of situations through checks and stunts, which requires a great deal of study and preparation. I remind, Hunters Lane held opponents to 48 regular season points in 2007 (with no D1 signees).

Hillsboro lost some very talented players. In addition, they also lost some very quality coaches who worked well together. And, I know this is redundant, but they are playing some premiere teams now that fair pretty well against most anyone they play.

Losing is always tough, especially when the previous year had such a story book ending.

But hang in there, things will get better.

Good luck Burro's and good luck Coach Moreno.

I'm going to assume that all of what you're saying is true. However, here is what I know about HHS football: there are no excuses for being whipped soundly by the likes of Maplewood and Whites Creek. Goodness, even in 2004 (HHS football's worst year since 1999) they put up a fight and they were pitiful. Having less talent is a cop-out many MNPS football coaches have used for years when they lose consistently. I have seen too many less talented teams beat teams, that on paper, they have no business being on the same field with to believe otherwise. Aydelott built the HHS football quite literally from the ground up (long before "open enrollment" was in existence at HHS btw) and Blade took the foundation Aydelott laid and built it up even further. I agree about the limitations on hiring assistant coaches right now as that is my understanding also.

As for the district situation, I have no doubt that it is the best possible situation for HHS football moving forward long term. The alternative would have been awful. As it is, they are competing against only one other team in their playoff classification for the right to go to the playoffs each year while playing in one of the top 3 toughest districts in the State of TN. Not to mention, they still have 50% of their regular season games to schedule however weak or tough of competition they want each year.

Lastly, Moreno's defensive system may be more complex and that is in one breath a good thing I imagine if it is indeed more like a "collegiate system" as you say. However, may I also point out that the defense this year has allowed less than 28 points in only ONE game this season. Also, I would like to note that your statistic of the 2007 HL defense giving up only *55* points during the regular season came against 8 MNPS opponents out of 10 total with a combined season record that year of 29-59 (19 of those 29 wins came from Antioch and Maplewood and 12 of those 29 came from Maplewood) with all 10 regular season opponents combining for a 37-72 mark. Only two teams they played during the regular season in 2007 had a winning record. Btw, I don't know where you came up with the notion that Blade preferred his football players to "play and not think," but I believe you are way off base.

I'll be interested to see what happens with HHS football going forward all across the board.

I wanted to clarify a few comments. For starters I apologize if my comments seemed negative in any way. I an actuality I think that Coach Blade is a heck of a coach. My observation about his defensive approach was in no way intended to be critical. In football there are two types of coaches, the "we'll get good at what we do, keep thinking to a minimum, let the boys play" philosophy. And the other, is "get a hat on a hat", have a play call for every situation. Both have won umpteen championships, and will continue to do so.

I do think Coach Moreno is an excellent coach as well. I was just pointing out the players at Hillsboro are learning a new style and it may take a while. But, again I apologize if my comments seemed derogatory.

I wanted to clarify a few comments. For starters I apologize if my comments seemed negative in any way. I an actuality I think that Coach Blade is a heck of a coach. My observation about his defensive approach was in no way intended to be critical. In football there are two types of coaches, the "we'll get good at what we do, keep thinking to a minimum, let the boys play" philosophy. And the other, is "get a hat on a hat", have a play call for every situation. Both have won umpteen championships, and will continue to do so.

I do think Coach Moreno is an excellent coach as well. I was just pointing out the players at Hillsboro are learning a new style and it may take a while. But, again I apologize if my comments seemed derogatory.

Learning a new system is tough on any group of young men in High school. Time will tell.. I think Blade has turned some heads out there in Wildcat country..