Beech vs Gallatin

wideright00

From an unbiased observer, (Mt. Juliet alum) I chose to watch this game because I knew it would be more competitive that MJ/SC. To say the least, I was surprised. Beech is a MUCH better team than I thought, and a significantly better team than Gallatin. The penalty count was 15-1, and thats not yards. 15 calls against Beech, 1 against Gallatin. A personal foul call on a good block that ended Beech's winning drive that followed an unknown call that nullified the tying score for Beech from 60 yards out. One ref called it false start (which should have blown the play dead) and the main official called it illegal shift. Weird...Beech also dropped a td in the endzone and 2 passes on 3rd down that would have extended drives. Beech manhandled Gallatin and Gallatin played better (I thought, especially on D) than they did against MJ. Beech is a scary team, especially being so young.

What was up with Beech's playcalling? Several fullback runs on 3rd and long and another one on 4th and 9. THAT was the difference in the ballgame....apart from what seemed to be one-sided officiating and wet conditions that caused so many drop balls.

That fumble on the goal line was probably the most ridiculous call I have seen in a while. What ever happened to forward progress? HE WAS IN THE ENDZONE!

Go Bears!

Marked, I tried to think back after the game, and the only penalty I could come up with on Gallatin was the play after the phantom fumble when Gallatin lined up offsides. I think it cost them a yard. That was the only one I could remember. That was a phantom personal foul call after a nice run that cost Beech the yardage plus the down. Also a phantom block in the back on a punt return. And I'm not quite sure how Beech got an unsportsmanlike before the second half ever started. :roflol: The call on the td was a good call. Beech's wingback was leaning when the ball was snapped. I guess Elmer Fudd just couldn't figure out what to call it.

Having watched Beech all year, my only question concerning play calling is why doesn't 21 and 24 carry the ball 75% of the time? Hamer and Sites are horses. Why don't you ride them?

I read the word "phantom" twice in your post. Yes I can read. Can you remember what you said is the question?

Beech has a good team and they are young. So is Gallatin. This is the most sophmores I remember starting possibly ever.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used the word "phantom" when referring to the call on our td. I assumed you thought I was when you said "phantom movement was seen by everybody where I was sitting". I saw it too, and said so. I'm just thankful you guys came down from the big city and played our little "farm team". The next time I will just say ya'll are great and we suck and leave it at that. Otherwise I'll get accused of whining. Nice talking to ya.......

In a game that sloppy wouldn't even begin to describe, Gallatin leaves Shackle Island with the victory. Gallatin turned the ball over 3 times and could only muster 7 points. Beech continued to keep Gallatin deep in their own territory all night. This kept Gallatin's play calling to a conservative game as much as the conditions did. This is not an excuse as much as fact of Beech's game plan against Gallatin. Beech played a good game as well. 7 penalties for Beech and 2 for Gallatin. Perry continues his great season with 201 yards rushing on the night. Cody until last week hadn't thrown an int. all season and last night he threw 2. I'm very proud of Gallatin's D. With all the Juniors and Soph. on that side of the ball It is even more impressive to me. Beech stayed on Gallatin's side of the field and the D kept them out. Many time's I thought Beech would attempt a FG but they never did. A game like that a FG may have been what would have given Beech the win or momentum to get a TD. Both teams need to put this game behind them if they want a chance at winning next week.

Tandem, these were your words.

"Marked, I tried to think back after the game, and the only penalty I could come up with on Gallatin was the play after the phantom fumble when Gallatin lined up offsides. I think it cost them a yard. That was the only one I could remember. That was a phantom personal foul call after a nice run that cost Beech the yardage plus the down. Also a phantom block in the back on a punt return."

You did use the word phantom three times. Apparently everything that was positive for Gallatin and a negative for Beech last night was a phantom this and a phantom that. If you don't want to get attacked on here, don't make tons of excuses why a team won and another team lost. Like a Gallatin poster said, a lot of the calls were completely legit, especially the goalline fumble, the wing being in motion on the long run for Beech, and the clip in the back on the punt return.