Sevier County vs. Seymour

soccer09

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seymour is pretty banged up from playing such a long tough schedule. BUT, Sevier County should be fresh, they will come into the game having last night off since they elected not to play Powell for whatever reason. Funny how the whole Sevier County team showed up to sit in on the Seymour game last night though. It will be interesting!

I agree, should be a great game to watch. I've watched these two teams go at it for several years now and it's always a close game, usually ending with a tie or a 1 point game. You know how big of game it is when a team cancels a scheduled game just to take the team to watch the other play! I did appreciate the assistant couch who came over and talked with us before the game. Showed some class! Good luck to all the girls.

GO COACH DREW AND THE LADY EAGLES!!!!!!

I haven't checked in too often as of late but figured with this game coming up I would see what all was being said. I hate that I missed whatever got deleted, simply because I'm sure it was derogatory in one way or another, and I enjoy the added "drama" if you will that it adds to the game (as if this one needs any extra).

Nevertheless, I can't wait to see how this one plays out. I'm from Seymour, born and raised, and have just about as much school spirit as an alumnus can have. On the other hand, the Sevier County coaches are two of my best friends (they're in my wedding party), and have been since elementary school. With that dilemma expressed, I'm going to state my opinion in the least biased manner I can muster.

First off, I absolutely HATE that it's most likely going to rain. I know both teams have to deal with it, yada, yada, yada, but I feel that rain is the great equalizer and more than a few undeserving teams have squeaked out wins based solely on hustle and a few lucky breaks. Now, don't get me wrong, hustle and lucky breaks play a large factor in every game (hustle especially), but what I consider the beauty of the game is negated by rain-soaked fields. I'm more prepared to see mud wrestling than soccer I guess you could say.

Despite the unbelievable heart, determination, and grit that the Seymour team will undoubtedly display, I say Sevier County wins by a goal, possibly two. I think Seymour's girls could quite possibly come out TOO emotionally charged. I mean no disrespect by this comment, but I also don't think Seymour's coaching staff will come out with anywhere near the level of game plan that SC's will, largely due to the difference in years of coaching experience. It also bothers me that every time I read an article on Seymour girls' soccer this year, the "tough" schedule left by the previous coaching staff seems to be used as a crutch. To me, if you want to win championships you have to play championship level competition. If you want a high win percentage, schedule all the cupcake teams you'd like, just don't expect to play very long in the postseason.

OK, hopefully no one has been offended, as I tried to state my thoughts in the most positive ways possible. If something comes across as overly harsh or critical, my apologies. Good luck to both teams, and I hope to see a good, clean, close matchup tomorrow night.

Great Post, Pitbull!

Proud to call you a fellow Seymour Alumni,

Good Luck to both teams tomorrow night,

Go Lady Eagles

Be careful of the standing water on the sidelines!

20-something years ago, Seymour played Sevier County in Football in a monsoon and our all-state kick returner was tackled on the sidelines where the water was several inches deep, he was under water and in danger of drowning before the ref stepped in and unstacked the players.

True story!

Bet you don't remember that one do you pitbull? Probably a little before your time.

Great Post, Pitbull!

Proud to call you a fellow Seymour Alumni,

Good Luck to both teams tomorrow night,

Go Lady Eagles

Be careful of the standing water on the sidelines!

20-something years ago, Seymour played Sevier County in Football in a monsoon and our all-state kick returner was tackled on the sidelines where the water was several inches deep, he was under water and in danger of drowning before the ref stepped in and unstacked the players.

True story!

Bet you don't remember that one do you pitbull? Probably a little before your time.

HAHA, thanks SS5. And no sir, no recollection of that incident. I was 7 at the time so I was probably playing football in the mud pretending to be one of the big boys. And it's a good thing it wasn't me in that position on the bottom of the pile because let's just say water and I aren't the best of friends. Coach Norwood and Gephart can vouch for me on that one.

The main thing fueling my hatred for rainy games in any sport is the '99-'00 State Semi game against Portland in football. It's one of those coulda, shoulda, woulda things that honestly eats at me to this day. Our no huddle, shotgun, spread offense wasn't made for playing on a 100 yard mud puddle. Heck, you never know, we could have lost by 40 if it was a dry field, but I'd give an ear and a leg to find out. It's a prime example of how rain and style of play can work for or against you. I hope to see you at the game SS5.

Once again, good luck to both teams. The atmosphere should be electric, rain or shine.

I remember that you were coaching, but don't remember the locking in, lol. Was that the home game from my senior year? Coach J is the best coach I've ever played under. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to work with him one day.

My apologies to everyone else in the thread for getting slightly off topic :mrgreen:. Where are the Sevier County supporters on here? On that note, where are the predictions? I don't expect SS5 to post one because of his close involvement with the program, but no one else that I know of has a valid reason not to stick out their necks and pick a winner. I'll take the heat if I'm wrong with mine and congratulate the Lady Eagles if they can pull it out. I'm amped about the game and would love some good natured debate on people's opinions of the outcome.

cnpitbull, you are absolutely right, if you want to build your teams up to the championship level you need to play tougher teams like Oak Ridge, Bearden, and Greenville. That will boost your teams playing capabilities as well as make them stronger.. I still say it will be tough to see who will come out and win