Montgomery Central at Harpeth

BoardHater71

This one is really a meaningless district game because Harpeth is in the playoffs either way if they can get a win against Stewart County next week. Montgomery Central plays very hard every week and their close losses to Cheatham, East Hickman, Stewart County, & Creek Wood should prove to be a very valuable learning experience in the long run. I gotta take Harpeth at home in this one with the momentum they have on their side right now. This "Battle of the Indians" should be an exciting game.

Harpeth: 28

Montgomery Central: 14

So you think the loser of Harpeth/Stewart Co. is out of the playoff picture? I haven't looked that closely, but I would think there's an outside chance of Harpeth making it to the playoffs with a win this week and a loss next week based on strength of schedule and the same for Stewart Co. based on overall record. The wild cards will be interesting. Edited to say that as of now, there are 6 of the 16 districts that could only have one 3A team as an automatic bid and so as many as 6 wild cards. That could potentially add a 3A team to 6 of the districts. With this new system and a lot of 3A teams 'playing up' with several 4A schools in their district in many cases, it will be interesting to see exactly how the wild cards will be selected.

Harpeth will be playing only their 3rd home game of the season this Friday and the finale against Stewart Co. will be their 4th. 6 road games coupled with Harpeth's schedule has been a challenge. Particularly when they've played 6 of the first 8 on the road. It looks like as things stand right now that all 4 of Harpeth's non district opponents will make the playoffs.

Hey ksgovols......

I think if Stewart County beats Harpeth then I look for the Rebels to go to the playoffs and for Harpeth to not go. If that does happen then Stewart would be a "automatic" while Harpeth would be 4-6 at beast or 3-7 at worst. Those 2 records would not be good enough to get Harpeth in as a "wild card"

I think if Harpeth beats Stewart County then I look for both the Indians & the Rebels to go to the playoffs. If that does happen Harpeth would go as the "automatic" while Stewart would be 7-3 at best & 6-4 at worst. Either one of those records will be good enough to get the Rebels a "wild card" and a spot in the playoffs for the 3rd consecutive postseason.

Hey putboobieincoach.......

Who caught the touchdown pass for the Indians last week? Was it #23 Ravon Hardy? That kid is a stud and is going to give teams in this district fits for another year. The Indians regular quarterback is #13 Sam Hudson. He can throw the football very well. I fully believe with 100% that had the Indians had him on a field 2 weeks ago that they would have won that game against Stewart County. Their defense dominated that game and their offense had success on the ground and also had a few good pass plays on some balls that just looked "poorly" thrown. Coach Bragg is doing a great job there and I believe in the next 2 years that Montgomery Central is going to be a real force in this district. Creek Wood is losing a very large senior class and Montgomery Central has everyone returning. I wouldn't bet against them being picked in the preseason to finish as high as 2nd in the district next year (behind Camden). They will be tough..........you heard it here first :roflol:

You're probably right catfish which tells me it's better to schedule McEwen and Houston Co. than Fairview and Jo Byrns for your non district games. The other side of the equation is that because 3A teams have to play 4A teams in the district, the win/loss record is going to be greatly affected for 3A teams that are going to the playoffs. There'll be a lot of 5-5 and 4-6 type teams making it in because of the strength of their district. Gone are the 2A days of playing in a weak district and scheduling patsies for non district and having 9-1 and 10-0 seasons. I think the 9-1 and 10-0 teams this year are legit for 3A teams. You can make a case for the 4A teams having an easier go of it than in the past.

Oh I agree very much! This is why I think teams like Pearl-Cohn & East Literature & Goodpasture will be very tough outs in the playoffs. It's hard for 3A playoff teams to simulate what they have already seen in Maplewood, Whites Creek, David Lipscomb, Greenbrier, & White House.

I also agree that punishing a team for their overall record just because they had to play Jo Byrns rather than Houston County or McEwen is a terrible injustice HOWEVER it is the system that we are forced to deal with.

Look at Pearl-Cohn's non-district slate..........MBA, BGA, Fort Campbell (KY), & Clarksville-Northeast. When you add district games like Lipscomb, Maplewood, Whites Creek, CPA, & East Lit. to that kind of schedule then you see that the Firebirds are a VERY MUCH battle tested football team.

Hey ksgovols......

I think if Stewart County beats Harpeth then I look for the Rebels to go to the playoffs and for Harpeth to not go. If that does happen then Stewart would be a "automatic" while Harpeth would be 4-6 at beast or 3-7 at worst. Those 2 records would not be good enough to get Harpeth in as a "wild card"

I think if Harpeth beats Stewart County then I look for both the Indians & the Rebels to go to the playoffs. If that does happen Harpeth would go as the "automatic" while Stewart would be 7-3 at best & 6-4 at worst. Either one of those records will be good enough to get the Rebels a "wild card" and a spot in the playoffs for the 3rd consecutive postseason.

Hey putboobieincoach.......

Who caught the touchdown pass for the Indians last week? Was it #23 Ravon Hardy? That kid is a stud and is going to give teams in this district fits for another year. The Indians regular quarterback is #13 Sam Hudson. He can throw the football very well. I fully believe with 100% that had the Indians had him on a field 2 weeks ago that they would have won that game against Stewart County. Their defense dominated that game and their offense had success on the ground and also had a few good pass plays on some balls that just looked "poorly" thrown. Coach Bragg is doing a great job there and I believe in the next 2 years that Montgomery Central is going to be a real force in this district. Creek Wood is losing a very large senior class and Montgomery Central has everyone returning. I wouldn't bet against them being picked in the preseason to finish as high as 2nd in the district next year (behind Camden). They will be tough..........you heard it here first :thumb:

yeah i believe it was him that kid can flat out fly.

Wow. Harpeth started out with a questionable fumble as Jeremy Roark attempted a pass. One of those is the arm going forward or not deals. Central didn't convert the turnover into points. Swapped punts and then Harpeth scored 7 unanswered touchdowns on their next 7 possessions to put it away by halftime leading 49-0 starting every drive on their side of the 50.

Partially blocked punt, Jeremy Roark to Perry Horkins for 27 yd TD on first play from scrimmage.

3 and out and a short punt for Central, Nathan Foriest from 28 yds out on the first play from scrimmage.

Fumbled kickoff, Jeremy Roark to Perry Horkins for 23 yd TD on first play from scrimmage.

Fumbled kickoff, Dakota Seagraves for 23 on first play, Nathan Foriest scores from 11 yds out on 2nd.

3 touchdowns in 48.2 seconds in the 1st quarter.

Harpeth had 193 yds rushing with Jeremiah Griffin getting his 1st varsity TD for the Indians with Roark adding a sneak and Andrew McWright hitting Travis Tice for a 12 yd scoring pass as Roark passed for 94 yds and McWright for 23. Owen Canady's streak of consecutive extra pts came to an end (I think) with a bad snap. Is that an attempt? Perry Horkins moved into 2nd place all time in career touchdown receptions and still can improve top 5 status in career receiving yards and receptions.

The defense has really stepped it up holding Central to 121 yds of total offense. Negatives for Harpeth were 5 fumbles, 4 in the second half after the game was in hand.

Harpeth vs Stewart County next week for a playoff birth.

Harpeth has found themselves at the right time of the year. We are seeing the team we knew they were all along, and they had some tough times early in the season. The defensive improvement is what really stands out about the team right now. Their schedule hasn't been an easy one and its served them well if they can beat SC and get in the playoffs.