Jackson Christian @ Fayette Academy

jj420

I won't pretend to say I know what will happen on Friday night. Any given Friday and all that.

Having said that, the Jackson Christian team I saw was a solid couple of TDs better than the Fayette Academy team I saw not long after and it appears that JCS is playing their best ball right now. So, I guess I'm generally agreeing w/ the previous poster.

I think Fayette Academy will fight like crazy and keep this game close all game long. The key for the vikings is to not give up the big play on 3rd down , keep the turnovers down. They have to keep the Jackson Northside quarterback off balanced because he can scramble and throw the ball good. I think Drew Dowdy, Joseph Defoor and Corey Bruce will keep this game close for the vikings. I personally will be pulling for the vikings in this game and for the seniors to make this game in a victory in a good faught win. Good luck to both teams!

SOMERVILLE — Using a nickel-package defense of five defensive backs, Fayette Academy played its best defensive game of the season on Friday and defeated Jackson Christian School 6-0 in overtime to earn a Division 2-A playoff spot.

TSSAA Playoffs

Check back beginning at 7 a.m. today as the TSSAA announces the high school state football playoff brackets. Also, join us at thememphisedge.com at 9 a.m. to chat with preps reporter Jason Smith, as he breaks down the brackets.

“The guys understand what we have to do on defense and did a great job executing,” said Fayette Academy coach Brandon Tucker after the Vikings held JCS quarterback Cody Jones, a 2,000-yard passer this season, to 17 yards on 2-of-10 completions.

“We had a lot of help from the (defensive) line,” said Fayette senior Shane Warf. “It’s the best I’ve seen them play all year.”

Dylan Meadows, Paul Scates, Zach Morse and Tyler Thompson led the Vikings’ D-line that also held the Eagles (4-6) to 19 yards rushing on 18 carries. Defensive backs Drew Dowdy, Will Landry, Jake Burnett, Michael Cowell and Warf helped the Vikings (5-5) prevail in overtime.

Dowdy broke the scoreless game on the first play of overtime, scampering 10 yards on a counter play. His 2-point conversion attempt failed.

“We knew (JCS) was a passing team. We worked on it all week long,” said Dowdy.

In overtime, Jones ran three plays before being tackled by Meadows, Corey Bruce and Burnett on the game’s last play. He also threw one incomplete pass.

Tucker was concerned that Jones, who won 2A Mr. Football kicker in 2008, could kick a field goal or a PAT.

“The Lord answered one of my prayers. We stopped them completely. The defensive stand was the best (this season). It was the first time we have had a shutout and the first time we have held a team under 40 yards offense,” said Tucker.

The Vikings gained 257 yards on 59 carries with Dowdy gaining a game-high 114 yards on 25 carries, Joseph DeFoor 91 yards on 20 carries, Landry 68 yards on 8 carries.

“They rushed for 257 yards and got six points,” said JCS coach Brian Stewart, whose spread-offense team was also stymied by field conditions that favored the run-oriented Vikings.

“It took the air out of us,” said Stewart. “Fayette Academy drove it on the field on us. Our kids played tremendous defense. They did everything we asked them to do.”

The Vikings were near the JCS endzone three times. They used most of the first quarter to reach the 8-yard line before two penalties stalled the drive.

Dowdy intercepted a pass in the second quarter and DeFoor had a 20-yard run to the JCS 12 before the Vikings fumbled. DeFoor’s 21-yard run and Dowdy’s 21-yard run in the third quarter got the Vikings to the JCS 27 before that drive failed.

Morse said, “We showed ourselves what we can do. The biggest thing was our show of character tonight.”