UTC Wrestle Offs

bbb

Hamm I think you are right about how Davis earned his state championship. I had some Franklin folks tell me way back then that Bond's dad gave the TSSAA an ear full after his kid was cheated out of his state title and that Franklin high school just went ahead and gave Bond the title even though the state doesn't recognize him. I think the tssaa cheated this boy and he deserves the title. I also remember the Franklin parents tell me the coach from Franklin also got fired after the tournament because of this. What a mess.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamm I think you are right about how Davis earned his state championship. I had some Franklin folks tell me way back then that Bond's dad gave the TSSAA an ear full after his kid was cheated out of his state title and that Franklin high school just went ahead and gave Bond the title even thought the state doesn't recognize him. I think the tssaa cheated this boy and he deserves the title. I also remember the Franklin parents tell me the coach from Franklin also got fired after the tournament because of this. What a mess.

What happened in the match ? Who was the ref and how did he get cheated ? I am drawing a blank on this for some reason.

Hamm I think you are right about how Davis earned his state championship. I had some Franklin folks tell me way back then that Bond's dad gave the TSSAA an ear full after his kid was cheated out of his state title and that Franklin high school just went ahead and gave Bond the title even thought the state doesn't recognize him. I think the tssaa cheated this boy and he deserves the title. I also remember the Franklin parents tell me the coach from Franklin also got fired after the tournament because of this. What a mess.

What happened in the match ? Who was the ref and how did he get cheated ? I am drawing a blank on this for some reason.

If memory serves me correctly his opponent was hit for his 3rd caution of the match in the overtime periods, which should have given Davis the win. However, the point wasn't scored. I don't remember exactly but there may have been an issue where one of the earlier cautions wasn't recorded in the official scorebook. Don't hold me on that part though.

If memory serves me correctly his opponent was hit for his 3rd caution of the match in the overtime periods, which should have given Davis the win. However, the point wasn't scored. I don't remember exactly but there may have been an issue where one of the earlier cautions wasn't recorded in the official scorebook. Don't hold me on that part though.

It has been quite awhile, but I remember some discussion about when the scoring protest actually took place, which was after the match had continued and finished in a win for the other wrestler. The coaches were too late with their protest to change the outcome. I could be wrong, but I believe that was the general issue at hand.

It has been quite awhile, but I remember some discussion about when the scoring protest actually took place, which was after the match had continued and finished in a win for the other wrestler. The coaches were too late with their protest to change the outcome. I could be wrong, but I believe that was the general issue at hand.

Tex,

That is what I remember being at the crux of the issue as well. BTW, good to see a friendly, old face around the forum. Can you tell it is that time of the year again?

I was just watching ESPN and they just cut into the broadcast and stated the Florida Gators now have 2 losses. They said they have a lost to Arkansas based on the blown calls at the end of the game as well as a loss to Mississippi State due to the blown call of the Gator going into the end zone. Florida is also not ranked in the Top 25 anymore; however, their administration recognizes them as victors. Also, the Tennessee lost last weekend will go down in the Tennessee books as a victory because the administration thought Alabama should have been flagged at the end due to the player taking his helmet off.

Are you kidding? A school and a dad recognize a wrestler as State Champion even though he was not awarded it from the TSSAA. Hamm, if this is true, this is an embarrasment to the Franklin administration.

As for Jake Young, I thought he got hurt and could not finish his Junior year.

Happy Halloween!!

Went to the Blue and Gold Match at UTC last night, and a Coaching Clinic put on by the staff this morning.

A few thoughts.

First, if Jake Young wins his wrestleoff Monday, seven of the ten UTC starters will be Tennessee guys. That is cool.

Second, the other three starters are all from south of the Mason-Dixon Line. So the “Southern Pride” T-shirts are definitely the real deal these days.

Third, I look forward to the day when I travel down there to watch some Science Hill guys wrestling for spots on that team.

Fourth, it is a good time for wrestling in the state. Coach Eslinger is a Tennessee guy who isn’t using this job as a resume builder.

This is exciting.

This is a great day for TN/SE wrestling reminds me of the old Jim Morgan teams dating into the 70's,,, with Turner Jackson, Waddell, Batton, Heard, Murphy and many many others.

Bond had one of the greatest refs, but young teenagers at the score table. because of a few conflicts a finem but arrogant coach was not at mat side and a fine wrestler from Nebraska was calling the shots along with a Franklin alum/fb & wr. coach. they did catch the third warning but only after Bond stepped off the mat and addressed it at the score table and with TSSAA officials. as the investigation was going on the next set of referees began the next D-1 match at 152. that's how i witnessed it. I may be wrong on this... But seems it may have been another issue occurring at the same weight of 145 in the D-2 ranks but did not involve decisions made on the mat or mat side. It was also a dad/coach dispute.

I do believe Jake's nagging (shoulder?) injury prevented him from finishing competition in the state his Jr. year.

The debate did not begin in earnest until the wrestlers had left the wrestling area.

My 152 pounder, Ty Cody, was in the finals that year. I remember Ty saying, as the match wound down, that it would be just his luck if it went into overtime and he had to wait longer to wrestle.

The match did go into overtime and when it was finished we walked to the mat. Ty's match was delayed a couple of minutes longer while the officials and the coaches debated at the scorer's table. The 145 finalists had left the wrestling area.

I recall someone walking up to the group and pointing out that the young men had left the area, and I remember that the debate pretty much ended at that point (in the mat area anyway).