POWELL PANTHERS!!!

PowellPanther

I was at the Karns game Friday night and it was quiet eyeopening. I hope this Powell team can improve, but I really don't see where the improvement will come from. They don't appear to have a ballhandler and their shooting is poor from just about every position. I don't think Karns is a very good basketball team, yet they were able to beat Powell rather easily. I saw some of the kids who attended the game that used to be basketball players and now they are in the stands. Does anyone know why this is? I can't believe some of them wouldn't be able to help this team. When I went to Powell during the 1990s Ogan had the reputation as one of the best coaches in East Tennessee and I can't believe he has forgotten how to coach, but I would like to know why some of the kids aren't playing.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Karns game Friday night and it was quiet eyeopening. I hope this Powell team can improve, but I really don't see where the improvement will come from. They don't appear to have a ballhandler and their shooting is poor from just about every position. I don't think Karns is a very good basketball team, yet they were able to beat Powell rather easily. I saw some of the kids who attended the game that used to be basketball players and now they are in the stands. Does anyone know why this is? I can't believe some of them wouldn't be able to help this team. When I went to Powell during the 1990s Ogan had the reputation as one of the best coaches in East Tennessee and I can't believe he has forgotten how to coach, but I would like to know why some of the kids aren't playing.

You're guess is as good as mine. Key part, I feel, is that was the 90's, not today. The basic disregard for the use of summer camps and pre-season scrimmages to figure your team out, instead of using practice time against a JV team to figure it out, is really hurting this team right now. Just got back from the Campbell County game, and the offense looked incredibly disfunctional. Also, I know coaches can be negative, but most of the good coaches I have seen also encourage and coach, not beat down to the point of submission. I always thought you put the best 5 on the floor. I just wonder if his heart is into coaching anymore. If the coach shows no passion to succeed, the team will reflect it. The bottom line, a school of 1500 should have more than barely enough kids to field a team show up for tryouts, and that's what Powell had this year.

You're guess is as good as mine. Key part, I feel, is that was the 90's, not today. The basic disregard for the use of summer camps and pre-season scrimmages to figure your team out, instead of using practice time against a JV team to figure it out, is really hurting this team right now. Just got back from the Campbell County game, and the offense looked incredibly disfunctional. Also, I know coaches can be negative, but most of the good coaches I have seen also encourage and coach, not beat down to the point of submission. I always thought you put the best 5 on the floor. I just wonder if his heart is into coaching anymore. If the coach shows no passion to succeed, the team will reflect it. The bottom line, a school of 1500 should have more than barely enough kids to field a team show up for tryouts, and that's what Powell had this year.

Just a few short years ago the future of Powell basketball looked bright. The high school team was winning and advancing deep into the tournament, the middle school team was winning, and the rec league teams were full of talent. Oh how quickly the wheels can come off. The program today is a mere shadow of itself from just a few short years ago. While I don't have a kid on the team, I have knowledge from family & friends who do about the deteriorating condition of the program and the commonly held points of view as to why it has deteriorated. Primarily, it is believed by those whom I am associated with and who have observed the program closely that the head coach has become complacent and apathetic towards the team as a whole and the players individually. This has not only resulted in less than inspired play from the players but also less than desirable preparation by the coach. Even more damaging, as a result of this negative, apathetic cloud hanging over the program, some of the most talented and capable players are either transferring out or simply choosing to sit in the bleachers until a coaching change is made. Many of these players will publicly state they are choosing to focus on one sport or another, while privately confiding that they just couldn't take the way the basketball program is being currently run. Speculation is that after coach's daughter graduated he lost some of his enthusiasm for the job and is just hanging around until retirement. All of this is merely what I am routinely told, I haven't ever even met the head coach. So all of the above my be as far from the truth as could be. I'm simply responding to a couple of posts asking "what is going on with Powell basketball". I honestly hope the situation can be corrected without too much fuss, but I doubt that is possible. These guys only have 4 short years in their life to play high school basketball and it is a shame for them not to be provided with an atmosphere conducive to having a good experience, win or lose. Just my humble opinion. Good luck Panthers, hope it all works out soon.

It is a shame many potential contributors are in the stands. As said earlier, we lost substantially to Karns and Campbell County and barely beat Hardin Valley. Coaching complacency and dictatorship, if continued, will only resullt in more losses. I do not see how school administration can watch the deterioration of a program without action.

I only get to attend home games so I didn't see last night's game and the recap in the paper didn't say much so how did it go. Also, without getting too much into individual players, I new that going into the season Jordan Sanford, Matt Mead and the Wright kid were all guards and ballhandlers and now they are not playing and this seems to have hurt the team. Why aren't they playing the sophomore Joey more at point now?

I only get to attend home games so I didn't see last night's game and the recap in the paper didn't say much so how did it go. Also, without getting too much into individual players, I new that going into the season Jordan Sanford, Matt Mead and the Wright kid were all guards and ballhandlers and now they are not playing and this seems to have hurt the team. Why aren't they playing the sophomore Joey more at point now?

Close game at half, see previous post from karns game, all over again. Down by 6 this time, JV team went in in the 3rd quarter for a 2 minute spell. Offense was bad, I think the only reason we scored in the 50's was due to Campbell County's poor defense at times, we seemed to get a lot of offensive rebounds. I think that was due in part to CC's snowbird offensive philosophy, 2 to the boards and run the other 3 down the floor. Ogan burned 3 time outs in the 1st half to get offensive sets figured out. Central on Friday, at least its a home game........As far as playing Joey Macourek at point, I'm not sure what the deal is there.

I figured Joey Macourek would be the starting guard. Is it someone else? Who are Powell's starters this year? Wilson, Palmer, Miracle, Macourek?

It's painful to sit back and watch this team play. Not having Joey run point is something that can't be explained. Yes Flyod is a great addition to the team, but do you really think he is capable of running point. Flyod is better at putting trash back in the hole, he needs to be a top post or coming strong from the wing. T Palmer needs to get mean and control the paint. Maybe time will tell and the right player positions will be in place.

I figured Joey Macourek would be the starting guard. Is it someone else? Who are Powell's starters this year? Wilson, Palmer, Miracle, Macourek?

It's painful to sit back and watch this team play. Not having Joey run point is something that can't be explained. Yes Flyod is a great addition to the team, but do you really think he is capable of running point. Flyod is better at putting trash back in the hole, he needs to be a top post or coming strong from the wing. T Palmer needs to get mean and control the paint. Maybe time will tell and the right player positions will be in place.

I agree BK, Clark is a great addition to the team. But, he was not involved in summer practice, pre season open gyms, etc. 1st time he got on the floor with the team was after football season was over. To have a transfer with no prior knowledge of a teams scheme, not having prior chemistry with the team, and throwing them in immediately to run the floor at a position they are not used too, defies any basketball knowledge that I know of. Use of a season schedule to formulate a team makes no sense to me. I've been to every game this year, 3 losses could easily have been wins, especially versus Karns and Campbell County

WOW 3 Pages of pure crap from a bunch of wannabes who couldnt touch Coach O'S ability to coach and teach the game.

Carry on oh ye legion of the miserable :lol:

Hello Robpride, I take great pride in trying to give an answer to a problem that is riding on the back of Powell. Could you once enlighten us pawns of wannabees on the record of Powell. Could you maybe tell us one point that is not taken on our look of things, or are we destined to sit back and let The great coach O's, who's ability to inspire Powell to be competitive, falter and burn. Coach the dang team, stop sitting on all the talent of Palmer, Wilson, and the others, who are waiting on a coach to kick them into gear. If by coach O's leadership and coaching ability, as you say so, he is able to muster enough voice to uplift these fine young gentlemen and make them into a mean fighting machine, and kick some butt, not their own, would be a wonderful sight to see. So for the time being i suggest that maybe you would listen to these wannabees and maybe take some critical advice, and perhaps at least acknowledge that maybe these wannabees are on to something. If not then coach O's ability to lead is going to be a big flop, and he will continue to get his pay while these young ball players have to live and play in front of people like you, who as it seems want to lose.

WOW 3 Pages of pure crap from a bunch of wannabes who couldnt touch Coach O'S ability to coach and teach the game.

Carry on oh ye legion of the miserable :lol:

Hello Robpride, I take great pride in trying to give an answer to a problem that is riding on the back of Powell. Could you once enlighten us pawns of wannabees on the record of Powell. Could you maybe tell us one point that is not taken on our look of things, or are we destined to sit back and let The great coach O's, who's ability to inspire Powell to be competitive, falter and burn. Coach the dang team, stop sitting on all the talent of Palmer, Wilson, and the others, who are waiting on a coach to kick them into gear. If by coach O's leadership and coaching ability, as you say so, he is able to muster enough voice to uplift these fine young gentlemen and make them into a mean fighting machine, and kick some butt, not their own, would be a wonderful sight to see. So for the time being i suggest that maybe you would listen to these wannabees and maybe take some critical advice, and perhaps at least acknowledge that maybe these wannabees are on to something. If not then coach O's ability to lead is going to be a big flop, and he will continue to get his pay while these young ball players have to live and play in front of people like you, who as it seems want to lose.

Thank you Rob for your "kind" analysis. I only have 3-4 past years of watching this program, and I am curious if you have watched this team this year, in person. Coaching experience, knowledge, and ability is not what I am questioning.