Comments on All State Selections

DonCChatt

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most games in the Knoxville area are covered by a commuity sports writer. On most of the 'big' or rival games a contributing writer or two will be present. A regular sports reporter for the paper starts showing up during district, reg. etc. I'm not sure which ones have a vote, and of course I doubt any see or read much about other areas of the state. But that is probably no different than the coaches either. Again, it seems to be a general consensus that is reached, and I doubt it is any different in any other of the HS sports, with the possible exception of HS football. But at least there is some effort made to give recognition. I'm still waiting for the coveted 'Canes Awards' to be posted. :wacko:

Funny. That said there is absolutely value to recognizing the positive event or effort that changed Tennessee Soccer for the year. IMO that would likely go to the coaching group as a whole. The Heat Index Policy was implemented and it was taken in stride. The ruling itself made it safer for all the players but it was implemented by the coaches across the state with little noise and overall was positive. In that same chord the teams also seem to have dealt with the unusual amount of severe weather we received this fall and keeping the players safe with generally good decisions. Although I am sure we suffered injuries, it was kept to a minimum by either postponing games or great efforts by the boosters in working the fields in late hours to give the girls a playable surface.

Funny. That said there is absolutely value to recognizing the positive event or effort that changed Tennessee Soccer for the year. IMO that would likely go to the coaching group as a whole. The Heat Index Policy was implemented and it was taken in stride. The ruling itself made it safer for all the players but it was implemented by the coaches across the state with little noise and overall was positive. In that same chord the teams also seem to have dealt with the unusual amount of severe weather we received this fall and keeping the players safe with generally good decisions. Although I am sure we suffered injuries, it was kept to a minimum by either postponing games or great efforts by the boosters in working the fields in late hours to give the girls a playable surface.

Also the referee group contributed to implementing the Heat Index Policy. In the preseason coach-referee meeting, this was a Point of Emphasis to be brought out in the pregame administrators meeting. Some coaches were very compliant, having instruments in hand, and some were well, you get the picture. In the severe weather category, we referees also were responsible with the coaches to implement the mandated policy that provided for increased player safety. As also noted as parents, we worked very hard the last rain to make sure the field was playable for substate.

Now there were some real memorable referee moments. I would have to say the one that stands out in my mind, is watching the video of the West-Powell Region Semifinal. In that game, the Powell player pulled down the West player by her hair and the referee immediately gave the red card. Of note, this was 2 weeks before the UNM viral video. The video was pulled off the knoxivi.com site shortly after that incident.

I know referees get bashed on this forum, but the quality of refereeing has improved this year as well. This is in part due to a new initiative to provide more training. I am reminded that the best officiating is that which goes unnoticed.

I am not sure about most states, but states I am familar with (Georgia, Florida) list all-state by classification so you end up with the same issue of a ton of players listed. Florida names three teams and honorable mention at each classification. I believe that works to 264 players. At the end of the day, what does it really matter? TN soccer has many more egregious sins than naming too many all-state players.

I had cogitated on this a bit. "All-state" as a designation shouldnt really be limited to the best 11 overall. The top 4% (200/5000) is still rarified air. MLB All Star game had roughly 8% of its body represented. It is difficult to chose without noting the individual stats, relative contributions, etc, the process is somewhat subjective. The number for each team is weighted based on how a team finishes. So state champs had more All State than say teams that didnt make it to Chatt.

To answer the question of which 11 (really 22) to take to Texas, that would be "All Stars", versus All-State. Funny the web site did show "All Stars" listed to designate All State in some divisions. The actual All Star teams were also mentioned. To pick the team, one person - the head coach, would have that authority to select. This is much like Herb Brooks did when picking the 80 USA hockey team that won gold in Lake Placid. TX youth soccer is admittedly, the best in the country, all things considered. They are to youth soccer what the Russians were to hockey. CA somes in second.

And being that club USYSA Southern Regionals were in TX this year, it looked as though TN fared really well (only TX, GA and NC had more teams make it out of pool play), especially the 92 team mentioned. That team is loaded with many on the Knox and Chatt prep teams listed in the papers.

Also the referee group contributed to implementing the Heat Index Policy. In the preseason coach-referee meeting, this was a Point of Emphasis to be brought out in the pregame administrators meeting. Some coaches were very compliant, having instruments in hand, and some were well, you get the picture. In the severe weather category, we referees also were responsible with the coaches to implement the mandated policy that provided for increased player safety. As also noted as parents, we worked very hard the last rain to make sure the field was playable for substate.

Now there were some real memorable referee moments.

I was referring to the execution. I pretty sure the TN referee group didn't come up with the Heat Index Policy...but thank you Al Gore.... :evil:

Now there were some real memorable referee moments.

I was referring to the execution. I pretty sure the TN referee group didn't come up with the Heat Index Policy...but thank you Al Gore.... :roflolk:

no need to get snippy. I didnt say the refs came up with the policy. I said they were part of the team that implements it. You missed that part of the equation. Overall player safety rests with the officials. Some coaches have to be prodded to comply.

Canes, quit picking fights... dry.gif

There is no easy way to select an all state team. No matter how you do it, you have too many, or too few, or not the right girls. It's a matter of opinion, and since everyone has one, it is impossible to please everyone.

And I don't think everyone realizes how hard it is to compile the list. It takes a LOT of time, effort, and energy to do it well. While I might not agree on how many are on it, or who is on it, I do thank those who do it, because I know what kind of work it takes to do so.

I was just trying to help him from injuring his arm. That's quite a stretch to pat your self on the back.

With this the Christmas season, let there be peace on this board.

Even in rebuttal, there is a subtle dig. Here is the reality of the situation - without players there is no sport - without referees there is no game. Players can put a ball on the field and kick it around. Coaches can direct them to do so, even hold a watch and keep time. But without referees, its nothing more than an organized scrimmage where they don't get taken to their limits to showcase skill on the one end, or end up in a free for all melee where there are no limits. TSSAA specifies requirements that some coaches meet, and others eschew. Take it or leave it, at the end of the day, referees have the ultimate power, but its the players game.