CPA Basketball '09-'10

matt610

CPA is 9-0 after defeating Ensworth by 2 on Tuesday. After losing Mason, Miller, Anderson, and others from a deep senior class last year, many were expecting a drop off this season. However, that has not seemed to be the case thus far, despite only 1 starter returning from last season. This year's team is much more balanced in scoring compared to CPA's teams the last few years, and has plenty of young talent, including 8th grader Jalen Lindsey, who starts for the Lions. From those who have seen them play this year, what are your thoughts?

CPA is 9-0 after defeating Ensworth by 2 on Tuesday. After losing Mason, Miller, Anderson, and others from a deep senior class last year, many were expecting a drop off this season. However, that has not seemed to be the case thus far, despite only 1 starter returning from last season. This year's team is much more balanced in scoring compared to CPA's teams the last few years, and has plenty of young talent, including 8th grader Jalen Lindsey, who starts for the Lions. From those who have seen them play this year, what are your thoughts?

Looks like they had a great "recruiting year" :thumb:

I have to confess that I am very surprised by how well CPA is playing this year. I knew that they would be well coached and play scrappy defense like the CPA teams of the past, but I am surprised that they have been as productive on the offensive end of the floor. What strikes me about this team is that there are no super stars like last years, however, they are playing a much better brand of "team" basketball and have been spreading around the points. Matt Zelnick has stepped up his game and is tough from the outside as well as the inside. Tyler Drehr and Sky Sims are both pleasants surprises with their ability to drive and to hit the three. Taylor Akers can hit the three as well and is usually a good ball handler (The Ensworth game last night being an exception). The addition of Jalen Lindsey has given them some much needed height on the inside. A question mark is the bench strength and depth. Turnovers and free throws were a problem last night in the Ensworth win, but I think most teams are going to have problems with Ensworth's high pressure defense.

Defense and team ball are the keys for this team. It will be interesting to see how they do against East Lit, Maplewood and Lipcomb. These seem to be the top four teams in 10-AA, but I would love to hear what others think about the district.

Looks like they had a great "recruiting year" :evil:

Free country.... oops! that is the argument publics use for transferring........

Seniors Zelnick and Ellson have been around for a while and are the team leaders. Zelnick is scoring and both are defending well and staying out of foul trouble. Defense and all around team play are what is getting it done but it will be interesting to see how the next few weeks turn out as the district opponents get tougher.

I saw on the Coach T site that CPA has the second lowest number of points scored by opponents in the state amoung all classifications at about 37 per game. I think that this confirms the opinion that they are playing good defense first and foremost. The East Literature game tomorrow will be a good District 10-AA indication. Has anyone seen East Literature play this year? What about Maplewood and Lipscomb?

Are these the top four District 10-AA teams or will White Creek and MLK compete for the title this year?

• 2 weeks later...