Gatlinburg-Pittman- How are they playing?

BigFatWoman

They are still working on completing their team chemistry, and other than the win at Austin-East, haven't really been tested. Then again, 8-0 is still 8-0 :thumb:

I suspect this Tuesday (hosting Carter) will tell us exactly where they are, with the January 8th game (hosting Fulton) really showing what they have to offer.

Team stats can be found at www.unapproved website.com.

Ok, thanks. I was wondering about that "unapproved website". I heard that GP isn't a very disciplined team. Have you got any info on that?

Ok, with the full disclosure that I am the father for the PG Jon McCroskey, I would be happy to do my best to address that question, but I honestly need some context. Can you be more specific about the aspects of their play that seemed undisciplined?

I know Coach Placeres enjoys the full respect of all current team members. As we currently have 3 transfers from Sevier County HS and Jose, this team is still finding its chemistry, but the team all gets along VERY well with one another. They have gone 8-0 so far (granted against not so heavy competition, but 8-0 is still nothing to sneeze at), and if you analyze the scoring, you will see that they have dominated all but AE (at AE) while spreading the scoring fairly evenly across 5-8 players each game. This is not a selfish team by any measure.

They are certainly a work in progress, but this is the first GP team in a long time showing this much promise, and the kids seem quite motivated to continue their improvement.

I take the above question as a serious one, and hope my background is not seen as an unwillingness to be objective. I look forward to hearing a clarification about what is being said "on the grapevine."

They are not blowing out some of the mediocre teams like I thought they would. Could be a variety of reasons why this is happening, but they are winning. Fulton, Carter, Gibbs, and Union will be the real tests.

You have to take into account that GPs deep bench is very inexperienced, and they have played a fair bit of 4th quarter time. GP was well aware of the strong history going into the AE game at AE, and they no doubt has some nervousness, as was evidenced by so many blown shots from 3' or less (Mo even missed a dunk at one point).

I will also say this, the AE game and the PF game were very unusual in the referee department, especially the PF game (something like 50 fouls were called in that game) - but that is a huge rivalry, and the gym was packed with alot of very active fans, so maybe the refs had some nervousness lol.

Actually Carter won by 8. Game was like watching 2 or 3 games. Carter jumped out ahead 22-12 1st quarter. Then GP outscored Carter 23-7 second quarter (believe that's right). Wilson did get in foul trouble during 2nd Q. 3rd Q Carter came out and hit 3 quick threes (1 by Ballinger and 2 by Wilson). To retake lead. Wilson then got his 4th foul and set most of 3rd and couple minutes of 4th. Carter had double digit leads during 2nd half. GP had a player get hurt (did not return) after cutting Carter's lead to 2 in 4th and shortly after GP PG fouled out. Carter shot well. Wilson had 28 pts and shot like 60% or better from the floor. First chance I've had to see him play. Certainly was in a zone offensively even though he sat a lot in 2nd, 3rd & and some of 4th. Should be a good game next time they play.