District 11AA 2010

defensewinscships

This team looks much different right now than what it did one year ago. Even in the midst of a 1-9 season last fall this was a team that was still developing something that I can honestly say it did not have at this point last year which is an identity. That is what has made Cheatham football successful under coach Finley & company through the years. The teams were never the biggest nor the most athletically gifted but they won games with toughness and physical play. This year's squad is going to be improved but still it is going to be questionable to see how things shake out in this district. Camden Central is a very good football program. Creek Wood & Harpeth both got a taste of winning last year and I am sure that they both want to continue that trend this season. Stewart County has been to the state playoffs for a few years in a row and will again be in the mix. Waverly Central was a team that finished last season on a high note. Montgomery Central was for the most part very competitive in it's games last year and should be even more improved in year number two under their new staff.

Having only 3 seniors last fall was tough. It was really tough when, and let's just be brutally honest here, guys who were expected to contribute in big ways really underachieved from the outset last season. I can think of a quarterback (#15), both receivers/cornerbacks (#7 & #21), a lineman (#68), a linebacker who eventually got moved because he wasn't able to play there (#23), and a safety (#6) who was truly a mystery all as being players who just did not play to the level which they were hoped to do. Is that their fault????? Absolutely not because you just can't place blame on kids if they aren't football players..........plain & simple. Perhaps that is why none of them are playing anymore.

Heading into this season there are guys that have competed on the field, even at 1-9 they played their hearts out, and that alone is a major advantage over last year's bunch who was just a complete mystery. #10, #11, #14, #33, #78, #75, #77, #44, #71, #70, #65, #67, #25, #28, #8, & #12 are all guys who have played and have high expectations coming into the season. Outside of #10 & #78 none of those guys had any kind meaningful varsity football action prior to last season. Having those guys back, along with others who are capable of stepping in and producing, this season is something that we as fans should already feel much better about heading into the 2010 season.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey connman:

2008 Cubs Season (Starters)

#7 Potts: QB

#10 Montgomery: RB

#4 Rinehart: RB

#12 Wilson: SE

#14 Adkisson: FL

#3 T. Anderson: TE

#78 Owen: OT

#70 Mayo: OT

#50 C. Anderson: OG

#53 White: OG

#54 Bryant: OC

#50 C. Anderson: DE

#25 Phillips: DT

#78 Owen: DE

#15 Chambliss: LB

#3 T. Anderson: LB

#18 Bush: LB

#10 Montgomery: ROV

#32 Batts: ROV

#5 Dodson: CB

#4 Rinehart: CB

#7 Potts: FS

2009 Cubs Season (Starters)

#11 Potts: QB

#33 D. White: RB

#14 Conner: SE

#8 Brinkley: FL

#44 Chipman: TE

#70 Glaus: OT

#65 Gaines: OG

#53 B. White: OG

#67 Eslick: OC

#75 Bess: DE

#71 Hastings: DE

#44 Chipman: DT

#33 D. White: DT

#23 Jock: DT

#10 Montgomery: LB

#53 White: LB

#12 Vargas: LB

#20 Ragsdale: CB

#5 Weakes: CB

#21 S. Matlock: FS

The players in BOLD are the guys who returned from that previous season listed above. As you can CLEARLY SEE (at least I am going to hope.....) the number of guys who played and returned from 2008 to 2009 is very much different from the number of guys who played and return from 2009 to 2010. Dre' Jock will not return for the Cubs in 2010 but you also should remember that both #51 Devin Corter and #28 Hussaen Ismail also saw time on the defensive front last season as well so with all due respect to the young man his departure is going to far from cripple this team because they have guys available.

Now at 1-9 it's obvious that the Cubs still have a VERY LONG WAYS TO GO in order to even be in discussion as far as the district title hunt is concerned. Creek Wood, Camden Central, & Stewart County all deserve to be in that talk because of how they've performed on the field. It will be very interesting to see how this bunch of Cubs can compete in the district. Scrimmage #1 is just 15 weeks away and it will be here before any of us know it :roflol:

Hey connman:

2008 Cubs Season (Starters)

#7 Potts: QB

#4 Rinehart: RB

#12 Wilson: SE

#14 Adkisson: FL

#3 T. Anderson: TE

#70 Mayo: OT

#50 C. Anderson: OG

#53 White: OG

#54 Bryant: OC

#50 C. Anderson: DE

#25 Phillips: DT

#78 Owen: DE

#15 Chambliss: LB

#3 T. Anderson: LB

#18 Bush: LB

#10 Montgomery: ROV

#32 Batts: ROV

#5 Dodson: CB

#4 Rinehart: CB

#7 Potts: FS

2009 Cubs Season (Starters)

#11 Potts: QB

#33 D. White: RB

#14 Conner: SE

#8 Brinkley: FL

#44 Chipman: TE

#70 Glaus: OT

#65 Gaines: OG

#53 B. White: OG

#67 Eslick: OC

#75 Bess: DE

#71 Hastings: DE

#44 Chipman: DT

#33 D. White: DT

#23 Jock: DT

#10 Montgomery: LB

#53 White: LB

#12 Vargas: LB

#20 Ragsdale: CB

#5 Weakes: CB

#21 S. Matlock: FS

Also connman when you look at those guys from 2008 that returned in 2009 you also have to remember the following:

a.) Tanner Owen was coming off of major knee surgery from an ACL that he had torn in a walk-through prior to the season finale against Page in late October of 2008

b.) Shaun Montgomery missed the first 3 contests of the 2009 season after a scary knee injury that looked much worse than what it turned out being in the jamboree last August against Jo Byrns

Heading into fall practice this year Tanner Owen is going to be 100%. He has had surgery on his knee and his back in the last 17 months but I feel that he is primed to have a big time senior season. Shaun Montgomery is 100%. He rushed for 800 yards in 7 games last season behind an offensive line that started 3 freshmen + a sophomore tight end.

The defense got much better as the season progressed last year. Remember that they started out the season by allowing 40, 29, 41, 27, 26, & 35 in 6 of their first 7 games of the year. They surrendered 13, 26, 8, & 20 in 4 of their final 5 games of the season. That means that they went from allowing 33 points per game in the first half of the season to just allowing 17 points per game in the second half of the season. Something to write home about????? NO! Improvement????? YES!

well all this whiny baby stuff is gettin me ready for this upcoming season and i cant wait to watch....

but heres a lil information...

in 2008 CW went 1-9...in 2009 CW went 9-1,,showing that "anything is possible"...

but in cheatems case...im not too positive about that lil saying....

and as far as Wavo...dont get me started....

stewart county....ehhhhh not to shabby

central....yeah they got some "decent" players

harpeth...well harpeths gonna win the district.....NOT!!!...they're gonna be jus as bad if not worse...

camden..well camdens camden and this is gonna be jus like last year....

And finaly the District 11aa Champions...The Creek Wood Red Hawks....

jus some notable players....

.Kimo Odom - D1 prospect, will be District MVP

.Zach Darden - havnt seen much b/c he transfered and had to sit out last year

.Aaron Lee - feelin the shoes of Blaine Hooper

.The Whole O-Line - aka The Red Sea..field by seniors and 1 or 2 juniors and a real big Gage Terry (soph)

.Defense - Big Boi Bell is gonna be a force to stop...and some quick d-backs..hopefully no mistake deep like last year

And last but not least..

.K/P Joey Stecker...kids gotta leg like a horse...easily makes it from 50+ in practice

but with all this nonsense i think itll go like this..

1.Creek Wood/Camden

2.Creek Wood/Camden

3.who cares

4.who cares

5.who cares

6.who cares

7. Wavo/Mont. Central/Cheatem County/Harpeth/Stewart County

good luck to the 3rd 4th 5th 6th and 7th...better luck in '11...Ha it'll be the same thing for years to come :thumb: