Patrick Benson (HWT) of Bradley Central

Da Bears

Patrick Benson (HWT) of Bradley Central won his first wrestling tournament Saturday at the Soddy Daisy Invitational. The sophomore had never wrestled until he walked onto the mat the first of November 2009.

Benson defeated Dillon Mills (Walker Valley) in the semi-finals. Benson was behind 3-1 as time was running out in the 3rd. Benson got a last second reversal to tie the match 3-3. In the first period of OT, Benson took down Mills and won-5-3.

In the finals, Benson pinned Tyler Dailey of Greenback.

Benson's mother died in April of 2009 and he now lives with his aunt and uncle, Johnny and Denise Graham. The Grahams are the parents of 3-time state champion David Graham.

Patrick Benson (HWT) of Bradley Central won his first wrestling tournament Saturday at the Soddy Daisy Invitational. The sophomore had never wrestled until he walked onto the mat the first of November 2009.

Benson defeated Dillon Mills (Walker Valley) in the semi-finals. Benson was behind 3-1 as time was running out in the 3rd. Benson got a last second reversal to tie the match 3-3. In the first period of OT, Benson took down Mills and won-5-3.

In the finals, Benson pinned Tyler Dailey of Greenback.

Benson's mother died in April of 2009 and he now lives with his aunt and uncle, Johnny and Denise Graham. The Grahams are the parents of 3-time state champion David Graham.

Congratulations to Patrick on a fine performance. I'd say quite a few heavyweights around the state are taking notice of this newcomer.

.Congratulations to Patrick on a fine performance. I'd say quite a few heavyweights around the state are taking notice of this newcomer.

A great athlete can pick up the sport very quickly. I watched Nick Reveiz go from losing matches his Soph yr to finsihng 2nd in the region and then becoming a 2 X State Champ. Sounds like this young man is the has the same type of heart. I wish him the best.

Is he ready for the Big Bear out of Mt Juliet?

Is he ready for the Big Bear out of Mt Juliet?

Re the Big Bear- historical norms would say no he is not ready, but this is Bradley we are talking about. They have a way of straightening out learning curves faster than anyone. Like a heavy weight boxer with a huge punch but raw skill this kid is quite capable of beating better skilled wrestlers via the pin.