Franklin Basketball

defensewinsgames

After watching the Rebels start the season 9 - 0, I am disappointed with their start to 2010... Coach Johnson doesn't seem to understand that teaching your kids defense is what wins games.... The one- three-one does NOT work in all situations. If you truly understood the strength of making your players a better team then MAN UP. You might lose a few early but your guys would get in shape down the stretch. If you are going to let them lose games then lose them with the respect of being beat man to man... DEFENSE WINS GAMES and the REBELS don't know how to play it..... Maybe Johnson could take lessons from Donnie Webb in teaching young men what wins ball games... I don't care who starts , the bench is full of untapped talent, just coach the players and give them a little confidence in their abilities.... :wacko:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure who you are, you either changed your screen name or you are brand new and trying to stir stuff up.

It's evident you don't know much about basketball. Relating coach Webb's football defense to how coach Johnson teaches defense is like comparing Bobby Cox's defensive philosophy to Dean Smith's. Comparing football and basketball, that's funny. Coach Webb does a great job, but seriously, lay off the paint chips.

I guess the the 1-3-1 had nothing to do with beating Maplewood last year, And this year Siegal, Overton, and LaVergne, 3 teams in the top 10.

Since you know so much, you should know that the 1-3-1 has man principles, but it gives teams a chance with lesser god given athletic ability to compete against teams that out-athlete you.

But, I am sure you know that....

Tha last two losses Franklin has held the opponent in the 50's, and Franklin has scored in the 40's, If you would have been complaining about offense I could see why, but anytime you hold a team under 60 points in high school you have done you job.

So, I think offense is the issue right now.

Like I said, it worked against 3 of the best teams in the mid-state...and with Franklin's substate run last year.

Heck, lets go get Monte Kiffin to help with coach Johnson's defense.

Thanks for welcoming me to the boards, as I am new. I am just a concerned fan of Franklin basketball. I agree with you that football and basketball are completely different. What I am trying to say is that Coach Webb has the same "under athletic" boys playing for him and he makes them believers in what they can do. Coach Johnson unfortunately did not take the same class in motivation. Franklin basketball has a sound offensive game as long as the boys run the offense. Players are going to have off nights. I don't have a problem with their offense. I appreciate the effort shown by the boys on the one- three- one but don't think they get the full appreciation of how it works(?)..... The team needs to rally themselves around their senior leadership and play ball like they were taught in "little league". :wacko:

Thanks for your opinion on my abilities... because believe me when I say I am not the know it all basketball guru. :D

Ok, I will probably echo some of what Coach Harrick said. You have got to be kidding. You have to be a parent of one of the athletes who are on the bench and not getting playing time. The comment of untapped talent on the bench? Are you nuts? You are not a concerned fan of Franklin basketball, Or you would not be disrespecting Coach Johnson. Coach Johnson's 6 years of being a head coach speaks for it self. 6 years of 20+ win seasons, 2 of those seasons 30 wins, and 5 District Coach of the Year. And you, a whinny parent spouting off about a defense because your kid is probably not playing.

The 1-3-1 defense is not the problem, its execution of that defense is the problem. We used this defense last year in our last 12 games leading to tournament play, holding teams in the low 40's. This defense has man principles and makes team work to get baskets. This is the same D that we went 9-0 with and beat some very good teams. So find something else to whine about, or how about just cheer for the kids and support the program. You clearly have no clue about coaching basketball, or running a successful program. Oh, wait. UNC is getting beat by 20 points tonight, and this is going to be their 5th lose. Coach Williams is such a bad coach. He needs to teach these kids the 1-3-1 and teach his kids that defense wins games, although they did win the National Championship giving up over 75 points a game.

How about we just wait and see what happens the rest of the year. We are 11-5 and have a long way t go. It looks like you as a parent have given up on our coach, bad move. We will be there in the end and whatever defense coach decides to play, our guys will fix things and get back on track. Coach Webb is probably going to be moving on to a head coaching job, heard he will be looking for a D coordinator, how about you apply for it since you know so much about basketball defenses.

Go Rebels :wacko:

You can't be a fan and a parent, tell that to Hillsboroboy411. I never said the 1-3-1 was a bad defense and I thank you for pointing out when it worked when it was used properly. I was at all of those games. I am curious to who you might be. I will say, I am a parent and I am not complaining about playing time. I accept where my son's abilities lie, what I do not accept is the lack of confidence my son is getting from his coach. He knows he will not get in a varsity game until the 30 30 rule. He cheers his teammates. And he listens to what he is told to do. My concern is (and I have heard for many years from other players and parents) that the Coach does not do the simple things to make a player feel confident in the player's abilities. Do you think Bruce Pearl looked at the players sitting the end of the bench last Sunday and said "you'll get in on the 30 30 rule!" Tennessee (in which I am only a fan because Bruce Pearl is a family friend) won that game because he gave them the spirit and energy to go play the game to the best of their ability. I understand Jay Johnson is a winning coach, I have watched him for several years. He does get the job done.... but every year, players change.... COACHES can also add to their coaching style by finding what motivates the new kid. My child does not need basketball, he is a successful student and a true Christian. He loves the REBELS more than you, I know that because he practices 2 hours a day and stays up half the night to get homework done... He hurts when they lose, because he expects perfection. We are half way through the regular season, I have no doubt these 17 young men will find a way to get back on the winning side.

My reason for posting was to motivate a few fans in seeing a different side and lighting a fire under a few. I know it worked because I hear you dropped by practice yesterday to voice your opinion. Thanks. :wacko: It might have been the motivation the team needed.

Coach Webb will be fine without me because he knows what it takes to BELIEVE! :D

I think it is funny that when Franklin was 9-0 nobody was complaining. They lose a few and it's coach Johnson and the defense, and that he can't motivate. So who got the credit when Franklin was 9-0?

I love how email and message boards give people the "hidden freedom" to voice their opinions about coaching and playing time, as if complaining about playing time and how the coach operates is going to get your kid on the floor more?

If I can give you one piece of advice.....

Please don't use message boards and screen names to throw backhands at what the coach is doing, who he is playing, or how he motivates.

It's obvious you don't like the way coach Johnson is coaching, you have 2 options, to deal with it and move on or to remove yourself from the situation.

Questioning who plays.....what is this pee wee basketball?

My decision to post was not to complain about time..... My child does not have the confidence to get in a varsity game right now nor does he have the athletic ability to play with the "BIG" boys. we feel blessed that he is on the BENCH at an AAA school. He is content watching and learning from Coach Johnson, Coach Gleason, and Coach Hamilton...... They are good coaches.

The 9-0 start was amazing..... Coach had the boys "believing" in themselves. A few bad calls and a lack in focus has altered their record. I just hope that the motivation that these young men have in their heart could be displayed at practice. I will continue to say that I have never noted that the coach is BAD. Just the lack of preparedness makes the REBELS vulnerable.

“The key is not the "will to win" . . . everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.”

Thanks again for your advice, this will be my last post as I am not out to hurt anyone, I just hate to see the REBELS lose.

You can't be a fan and a parent, tell that to Hillsboroboy411. I never said the 1-3-1 was a bad defense and I thank you for pointing out when it worked when it was used properly. I was at all of those games. I am curious to who you might be. I will say, I am a parent and I am not complaining about playing time. I accept where my son's abilities lie, what I do not accept is the lack of confidence my son is getting from his coach. He knows he will not get in a varsity game until the 30 30 rule. He cheers his teammates. And he listens to what he is told to do. My concern is (and I have heard for many years from other players and parents) that the Coach does not do the simple things to make a player feel confident in the player's abilities. Do you think Bruce Pearl looked at the players sitting the end of the bench last Sunday and said "you'll get in on the 30 30 rule!" Tennessee (in which I am only a fan because Bruce Pearl is a family friend) won that game because he gave them the spirit and energy to go play the game to the best of their ability. I understand Jay Johnson is a winning coach, I have watched him for several years. He does get the job done.... but every year, players change.... COACHES can also add to their coaching style by finding what motivates the new kid. My child does not need basketball, he is a successful student and a true Christian. He loves the REBELS more than you, I know that because he practices 2 hours a day and stays up half the night to get homework done... He hurts when they lose, because he expects perfection. We are half way through the regular season, I have no doubt these 17 young men will find a way to get back on the winning side.

My reason for posting was to motivate a few fans in seeing a different side and lighting a fire under a few.

I know it worked because I hear you dropped by practice yesterday to voice your opinion. Thanks. :D It might have been the motivation the team needed.
Coach Webb will be fine without me because he knows what it takes to BELIEVE! :wacko:

YOU didn't light a fire under me, I'm at practice almost everyday. Why don't you find out what was said before you open your ignorance hole. All I said basically was, it doesn't matter what D COach Johnson wants to play. We need to go out and play it with intensity and passion. I'm sure your "family friend" Bruce believes in that. And good job Einstein, everybody knows who I am by my login name. I don't need to hide behind a ridiculous name like you've put on here. You know who I am, come see me. "MAN UP", as you put it. Don't run and hide now that you've started this.

Ok I was going to stay out of this one but this just really struck a nerve with me. I think part of the problem with high school students or kids in general these days are that their parents feel everyone should baby them. Your son is a high school basketball player! If he's sitting on the bench then he is at least a sophmore so 15 or 16 years old.....are you seriously expecting Coach Johnson to single him out and boost his ego. Seriously? Do you think Coach Johnson took Michael Young aside for daily pep talks? What about Peyton Henry or James Haddix? Coach Johnson is a teacher and a basketball coach...not a self esteem therapist. Do I believe coaches should motivate their players? Of course...but just because his tactics of motivation aren't the same as your tactics of motivation doesn't mean they are wrong!

I love to see the Rebels self implode. The talent is gone there. I think the real issue from what I have read on this board is why did Coach Johnson change his line-up after starting 9-0. If it is because Little was sick, why not go back once he is healthy. Why the change in the line up would be the logical and sensible explanation.

Coach Johnson hasn’t received the All District Coach for five years and All Region Coach one year, because he lacks in motivating his players. His fairness, his game plan, and his “preparedness” has built a solid REBELS program. Ask any past Franklin player what playing for Coach Johnson has meant to them. As parents, when we sign our kids up to play for team sports it is part of our job to motivate our kids, help boost their confidence and tell them to get it together and get out there, listen to the coach and be a part of team whether they are playing or waiting their turn on the bench and NOT sit at the dinner table saying stuff like “my son doesn’t NEED basketball.”

If he is wearing that uniform and sitting on the end of the bench I hope he has the confidence to get out there and play his best when his number is called, because if he lacks that and he really “doesn’t NEED basketball” maybe he should rethink being on the team. It’s times like these when parents THINK they are helping their children that they are only helping in the destruction of the TEAM.