The Greatest wrestling coach that never wrestled!

Nooganader

Joe Drennan from Father Ryan High School. He was the first high school coach to win the State Championship from outside Chattanooga. Listen to some of the old coaches talk about him that he always opened his wrestling room to whomever wanted to come and work out. They would talk about at Christmas you could hardly move in the wrestling room because of all the schools that would show up.

I never wrestled until I became a coach. I had one year with Gary Walker, the next year I started a program from scratch. Over 15 years I had a record of 211-2-106, beat Turner Jackson, finished ahead of Jim Morgan in a couple of tournamnets, broke David Holiowell's at home win streak at 90 wins, beat Steve Henry and won his tournament, defeated Jeff Price, and broke even with Chris Vandergriff I am not bragging with these exploits, the reason that my teams did well were because of Turner Jackson, Jim Morgan, David Hollowell, Steve Henry, Jeff Price, and Chris Vandergriff who helped me and shared their knowledge with me. I owe a lot to those coaches who allowed me to bring my teams to their tournaments, even though at the time we were probably not up to their level of competition. I owe a lot to Coach Elea and Carson Newman and their summer camps. The first thing I learned, as a coach, was that the wrestling coaching fraternity was there to help you, all you need to do is ask. I know I am not in the same class as those coaches I have mentioned and many others who have coached and are now coaching, but they helped me be successful.

If I remember right, we had a coach Jackson at Hixson Jr. High that had something like a 200-3 record and fed Baylor's Worsham with half his talent each year - Gordan Connell/David Copeland got the rest at Hixson, not McCallie. Some of you other older farts like SLY, Tex23, BCB, Henry Thorton, etc., may remember this fella.

I never wrestled until I became a coach. I had one year with Gary Walker, the next year I started a program from scratch. Over 15 years I had a record of 211-2-106, beat Turner Jackson, finished ahead of Jim Morgan in a couple of tournamnets, broke David Holiowell's at home win streak at 90 wins, beat Steve Henry and won his tournament, defeated Jeff Price, and broke even with Chris Vandergriff I am not bragging with these exploits, the reason that my teams did well were because of Turner Jackson, Jim Morgan, David Hollowell, Steve Henry, Jeff Price, and Chris Vandergriff who helped me and shared their knowledge with me. I owe a lot to those coaches who allowed me to bring my teams to their tournaments, even though at the time we were probably not up to their level of competition. I owe a lot to Coach Elea and Carson Newman and their summer camps. The first thing I learned, as a coach, was that the wrestling coaching fraternity was there to help you, all you need to do is ask. I know I am not in the same class as those coaches I have mentioned and many others who have coached and are now coaching, but they helped me be successful.

THIS COACH IS FROM KNOXVILLE.