Memphis Championships Thursday, Feb 18th

CoachT

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTICE:

The announcers are now saying that the final score was 78 -- 70 (not 78 -71) White Station. So, now--I'm not sure of the true final score.

-------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Leading Scorers:

------------------------

White Station:

Andre Hollins -- 28 pts.

Joe Jackson -- 21

J. Burton -- 8

M. Wms -- 8

N. Johnson -- 5

---------------------------

Ridgeway:

Tarik Black -- 28 pts

M. Brock -- 12

C. Brewer -- 11

C. Golden -- 10

Outstanding TEAM effort by White Station, to finally get a victory over a very balanced and solid Ridgeway team.

By actually winning this game, White Station really surprised me tonight!

If White Station can continue to get this sort of decent production from its two post players (Wms & Johnson), they will be tough to beat going into Regionals. The problem for WS is that its two big men are awfully inconsistent and, therefore, simply cannot be counted upon to produce. If they do not, then WS (IMHO) is at least 2X more likely see its season end @ Regionals.

Because of its usual offensive balance, inside-out style of offense and Ace-in-the-hole big man (Tarik Black), Ridgeway will be ok, IMO.... I still think that Ridgeway and Melrose will meet up in Regional finals, although I will not be shocked to see any of these teams sneak in there:

White Station, Central, Southwind and East.

The area Regionals (AAA) are going to be verrrrrry interesting, indeed!

Trader I was at the game, but due to two of the previous games going into overtime I left early in the third quarter. I listened to rest on the radio myself. Ridgeway played a 1-2-2 half court trap and that really was effective and it slowed Joe and WS down. WS couldn't really attack it at all. It's good to see WS buckle down and finally beat Ridgeway. With Ridgeway, Central, WS, Melrose, SOuthwind, Germantown and even East beating one another at some point this season getting out of Memphis is about to a dog fight. Whomever makes it out will probably think winning the state will be a breeze. I can't wait...

Trader I was at the game, but due to two of the previous games going into overtime I left early in the third quarter. I listened to rest on the radio myself. Ridgeway played a 1-2-2 half court trap and that really was effective and it slowed Joe and WS down. WS couldn't really attack it at all. It's good to see WS buckle down and finally beat Ridgeway. With Ridgeway, Central, WS, Melrose, SOuthwind, Germantown and even East beating one another at some point this season getting out of Memphis is about to a dog fight. Whomever makes it out will probably think winning the state will be a breeze. I can't wait...

Two overtime games can sure make for an awfully, awfully long night!! You probably weren't the only one that left early.

Yeah, White Station certainly deserves a ton of credit for finally over the Ridgeway hump.

I second your motion about the impending "dog fight" and resulting State Tournament mindset....Our AAA representatives better not get complacent and overconfident, however!

It really is a shame that only two of these seven outstanding teams will get the shot at State Title!

Does anybody know who won the East -- Mitchell game, last night?

The Commercial Appeal reported absolutely nothing about the game, but CoachT's schedule SUGGESTS that Mitchell actually upset East last night ...but does NOT show a score (it just shows Mitchell playing White Station tonight). If that is indeed the case, then that was quite a shocker-- East's promising season has come to an unexpectedly quick and screeching halt!

Does anybody know who won the East -- Mitchell game, last night?

I just got in from the District Semis @ Melrose, where I watched both of the boys' games.

When I arrived, I was expecting to see MITCHELL play White Station. Imagine my surprise...I looked up and saw EAST on the court, instead!!

Final: White Station 69 -- East 63