SANTA FE BEATS LORETTO 59-40, WHAT HAPPENED IN THE 4TH QT

4MUSTANGS

I'm assuming by your referral to the 4th quarter, that could only mean one thing "the technical" called against coach Tipps. Abby Laws drew her 5th foul, the ref held up 5, but she stayed on the floor. Coach Tipps questioned the refs call strongly and a technical was called. I also read Marion Wilhoite's version in the Daily Herald and I quote, "a technical foul was called on coach Greg Tipps, but only because he didn't have a sub available to go in the game within the required time." I didn't quite understand that statement Marion, "so where were his subs," from my position, they were sitting beside him, he's a good coach, he knew who was on the bench.

I'm assuming by your referral to the 4th quarter, that could only mean one thing "the technical" called against coach Tipps. Abby Laws drew her 5th foul, the ref held up 5, but she stayed on the floor. Coach Tipps questioned the refs call strongly and a technical was called. I also read Marion Wilhoite's version in the Daily Herald and I quote, "a technical foul was called on coach Greg Tipps, but only because he didn't have a sub available to go in the game within the required time." I didn't quite understand that statement Marion, "so where were his subs," from my position, they were sitting beside him, he's a good coach, he knew who was on the bench.

A sub "available" actually means a sub "at the scorers table and ready to check-in" within the required time. A coach is allowed (I believe) 20 seconds from the time the coach is notified by the official of the player disqualification. After the allotted time, if no substitute is "available" to replace the disqualified player, a technical foul shall be administered.

Yes, I was at the SF vs. Loretto game the other night and saw what happened. The previous post said it correctly about the technical. Instead of getting a player to go in for Laws he continued to argue w/the ref about the foul that was called. I was sitting on Loretto's side and saw Law's, who was obviously trying to stop the clock by fouling, foul one of SF's players but they didn't call it and then she fouled #14 on SF and knocked her to the ground, and after that foul Laws looked in the direction I was sitting saying and I quote "Now THAT was a foul". Little did she know that it was her 5th but seeing the look on her face as her teammate told her that that was her 5th foul was pretty sad. Tipps didn't keep a handle (discipline) of his team. They all got so angry and mad that they just started playing careless. SF made some huge shots which pulled them away from Loretto pretty quick in the 4th. SF was already ahead by 12 or so, I can't say at all that it was because of the technical that Loretto lost. They lost the game in the beginning to middle of the of the 4th, not the end.

I've already gave my account of what happened in an earlier post, but decided to add it here also, for those who missed the other: At Santa Fe Friday, there was a great game going between 2 good teams in the opening of the regional tournament. Loretto lead Santa Fe most of the 1st half, but the Lady Wildcats took a 1 point lead into the locker room. Santa Fe increased the lead to 7 or 9 in the 3rd quarter before Loretto came back and cut it to 2. At that point, 1 certain ref(known to make obviously wrong calls against Loretto all season), decided to take over the ballgame, blowing at least 4 or 5 calls in a row(while the other refs looked confused) including fouls against Loretto when the defender is standing still with arms straight up, foul aginst Loretto when nobody touched nobody, charge against Loretto when the player was flat footed jumped straight up to shoot the ball and was bumped backwards slightly, another foul against Loretto when she was 2 feet away from the girl she suposively fouled(which fouled out the District 12A MVP), a technical fould on Loretto's coach that was in his box just politely asking for clarity on a call without yelling or anything out of the way.(Found out later this was due to being too slow replacing the fouled out person in which I've seen numerous occasions when a coach took more time than was alotted in this game replacing one and even then just got a warning whistle with motion to bring her on in with no technical called) All of these calls and maybe more that I didn't mention happened in a span of 2-4 minutes of play in the 4th quarter, all by 1 ref, all against 1 team. The lead shot from 2 to 12 just like that. Of course, that was also due to Santa Fe's well shooting from the stripe & field during this stretch. At the time the said player fouled out with close to 4 minutes left in the game, the total fouls for the half were Loretto 10 Santa Fe 2. I'm not taking anything from Santa Fe. They are a good team and deserve the victory & very well may have won if there wasn't any obviously wrong calls made at all & I wish them luck the rest of the way. I just don't see how 1 man can take a great game and turn it into no contest by himself and still get the oppurtunity to keep doing it to anybody else he choses without being penalized. There are always camera's rolling. There's also stats. I'd like to know how many technicals this ref has made all year and how many were against Loretto. I'm sure the results wouldn't surprise me. Regular season is one thing, but when it's do or die, that's another. Something should be done, for the sake of players, coaches, & fans. Maybe we'll get lucky and never see this ref again, but Iknow that's not possible. Good season Lady Mustangs! Good luck the rest of the way to all Region 6a teams left alive.

Moderators,

Please move the previous post to the "WHINING ABOUT OFFICALS BECAUSE MY TEAM WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN" thread.

Sorry "Uknow" but implying that officials cost a team the game doesn't get a lot of attention on these boards. Most of the posters here know that 99.99% of the time the players deterermine the outcome of the game, not the officials. In fact, I doubt you would get anyone here to honestly say they have witnessed that .01% occurrence.

We got the T because we didn't have a sub at the scorer's table. Coach was trying to get the ref to confer with the other two refs if the foul was indeed on Abby. There was some confusion if the foul should have been on Abby. The ref, being stubborn and reffing with an ego, refused to do so and administered the T.

End of story.

I thought in regional play that the refs were suppose to be from a different area so you wouldn't get the refs you had all season.Because we have a ref during the season that done us the same way he made some questionable calls against a certain player every time he called one of our games.