Cannon County stuns Upperman in OT...

woodvegas

From the Murfreesboro newpaper, The Daily News Journal...

SPARTA — Cannon County girls captured the Region 4-AA region championship Wednesday night with a 47-46 overtime win over fifth-ranked Upperman.

Junior post Chelsey Payne led the Lionettes (27-4) with 22 points and 12 rebounds, including the game-winning 3-pointer with 32 seconds remaining.

Cannon County had to defend a potential game-winning shot by Upperman during the final 32 seconds, getting a key blocked shot by junior guard Taylor King with 2.2 seconds remaining.

Cannon County plays host to McMinn Central Saturday at 7 p.m. in the sectional round for a berth into next week’s state tournament at MTSU.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum roll please....Thanks.

Congratulations to Michael Dodgen and his Lionnettes. Very proud of you.

McWilliams: That post of yours is decent, so look for her in Polk County. :roflol: (this is not a knock against Dyer at all, I think the kid is phenomenal!)

All the Bees I have talked to in the past 2 hours are giddy of going to Polk County. False hope, as I watched those two play tonight. Both of 3AA's representatives are really well coached and play really well. Both are different in their own aspects, but I believe that Polk is better, as shown tonight. Polk County is a tough environment to play in, not as bad as the round-house (glad noone goes there), but still bad. Good luck, I think I'll run to the Den Saturday. Congrats again to Dodgen and company.

McWilliams: That post of yours is decent, so look for her in Polk County. :oops: (this is not a knock against Dyer at all, I think the kid is phenomenal!)

All the Bees I have talked to in the past 2 hours are giddy of going to Polk County. False hope, as I watched those two play tonight. Both of 3AA's representatives are really well coached and play really well. Both are different in their own aspects, but I believe that Polk is better, as shown tonight. Polk County is a tough environment to play in, not as bad as the round-house (glad noone goes there), but still bad. Good luck, I think I'll run to the Den Saturday. Congrats again to Dodgen and company.

The Dyer kid had a little foul trouble tonight. big kids get no breaks.

She is incredible. If I were coach, and Im not....Im also not bashing MrsCoachMcWilliams when I say this.......I would run the ball through the big girl a little more. Not just as the shooter, but as the give and go, or drop it in and pop it back out for the three. They are probably trying to do this more than I know, but Im just not seeing it.

Anyways, HUGE DISCLAIMER FOR THAT WHOLE PARAGRAPH: I AM NOT BASHING MrsCoachMcWilliams. That was just MY OPINION. Id win a few games with that team, but most of us here could win at least a couple with them!! :roflol: Im going to let coach do the coaching. I will just clear out a 6ft lane to cheer from, and see how that goes.

McWilliams: That post of yours is decent, so look for her in Polk County. :oops: (this is not a knock against Dyer at all, I think the kid is phenomenal!)

The Dyer kid had a little foul trouble tonight. big kids get no breaks.

She is incredible. If I were coach, and Im not....Im also not bashing MrsCoachMcWilliams when I say this.......I would run the ball through the big girl a little more. Not just as the shooter, but as the give and go, or drop it in and pop it back out for the three. They are probably trying to do this more than I know, but Im just not seeing it.

Anyways, HUGE DISCLAIMER FOR THAT WHOLE PARAGRAPH: I AM NOT BASHING MrsCoachMcWilliams. That was just MY OPINION. Id win a few games with that team, but most of us here could win at least a couple with them!! :roflol: Im going to let coach do the coaching. I will just clear out a 6ft lane to cheer from, and see how that goes.

The refs were pretty fair tonight, but the fact is the refs never call fouls on dyer, thats just the fact about it

WAY TO GO DODGEN!!! Congrats

Is he Donald Dodgen's son?

Yes it is.

I'm not sure when Coach Morgan (McMinn Central coach) played at Tennessee Wesleyan, but his time there probably overlapped when Donald was there as a player or assistant coach.

I played against Donald in high school.

McWilliams: That post of yours is decent, so look for her in Polk County. :thumb: (this is not a knock against Dyer at all, I think the kid is phenomenal!)

"Polk is better" really? MC beat them 3 of 4 but Polk is better? They were better last night obviously. How could central have played any worse. If there is another meeting, I know where my money would be.

McWilliams: That post of yours is decent, so look for her in Polk County. :thumb: (this is not a knock against Dyer at all, I think the kid is phenomenal!)

"Polk is better" really? MC beat them 3 of 4 but Polk is better? They were better last night obviously. How could central have played any worse. If there is another meeting, I know where my money would be.

I wasn't there but was shocked when I heard Central was down by 16 at the half. What happened?

I agree with your assessment......Central beat Polk three times this year - with two of those being sound double-digit beatings. Central is the better team. Polk fans, that's not a knock against your fine team.

The refs were pretty fair tonight, but the fact is the refs never call fouls on dyer, thats just the fact about it

If "fair" means that they ticked off both sides equally, then yes, I completely agree. Im not trying to bash the refereeing. They didnt play favorites. They were not "out to get anybody". But they could have been better.

EDIT: I could have done better also. I didnt cheer as loud as I should have, or as often. I spilled half of a bag of popcorn, within minutes of sitting down in the gym. Im actually taking the blame for this loss. I was too preoccupied with keeping one of the foster kids out of trouble. I had text messages from my wife that interrupted key parts of the game. Im sorry girls, this one is all on me.

I did my very best "d-up" though. I have been practicing that one since I got into town 3 years ago. And without Mr D-Up in the stands, I knew someone else had to carry the load. I will bring it better next time girls, I promise.

:thumb::)