SH VS. MAPLEWOOD------- MARSHALL VS MLK

jsil20

Yes their gym is under construction and yes they have played at the middle school this season. Maplewood hosted a region game at the middle school this season but that was not suppose to happen. Their new gym is ready for tonights game according the today's article in the Tennesseaan but TSSAA will not allow them to host it.

Below is the article

'Home' basketball game may cost Maplewood

Maplewood could face further sanctions after hosting a postseason basketball game a week after being instructed not to by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association.

On Feb. 27, the Maplewood boys played Westmoreland in a region quarterfinal game at Dalewood Middle School, which has been the Panthers' home gym this season because the high school gym was being renovated.

On Feb. 18, the state association had ruled that Maplewood could not host a postseason boys or girls basketball game through next season because of a postgame fight involving the girls team Feb. 13 at Stratford. Maplewood was punished because it played in a game where there was no security.

"If they practice there and play their regular-season games there, we would consider that their home site," association executive director Bernard Childress said Sunday.

He said the issue would be addressed when Maplewood appeals the sanctions at the March 16 Board of Control meeting.

If not for the sanctions, Maplewood would be playing its first game in its new gym tonight in the Class AA boys sectionals against Spring Hill.

But instead, the teams will play at Whites Creek for a spot in next week's state tournament.

"I'm hurt, but I've still got to get these guys ready to play," Maplewood Coach Ty Wilson said. "These guys were really looking forward to playing in the new gym. Then they get this bomb dropped on 'em."

The letter Maplewood received from Childress on Feb. 18 had the following paragraph:

"Since the Maplewood High School allowed their girls' basketball team to play in a contest that was not properly supervised to insure orderly conduct, then Maplewood High School cannot host any postseason basketball contests the remainder of the 2009-10 school year. They cannot host any postseason basketball contests during the 2010-11 school year. This involves the girls' and boys' basketball programs."

Maplewood has won 19 of its past 20 games — losing only at Overton 73-72 on Feb. 12. The Panthers rebounded to put together a six-game win streak and win the District 10-AA and Region 5-AA tournaments.

The school's gym has been unavailable since December 2008, when renovations forced its closure. Construction on a new facility began last spring, with plans for it to be available by the start of the current season. Various glitches have prevented its use.

Spring Hill has lost just twice over its last 11 games, going 1-2 in that stretch against District 12-AA rival Marshall County with a win over the Tigers in the district tournament final and a loss in the Region 6-AA championship game.

"Our workers have worked tirelessly, and the (Metro) Fire Department has been out to get the gym ready to play on Monday," Maplewood principal Julie Williams said. "We had a Plan B in place, to play at Whites Creek, in case our gym was not ready. In the midst of that, we got a call clarifying the sanctions we got from (the Stratford game)."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SH vs Maplewood game being moved to Whites Creek has nothing to do with gym size. Maplewood is not allowed to host post season this year according to the TSSAA for a fight.

Good luck to the Raiders!!!

It's kind of a shame that because of the actions of another school, Maplewood can not host any post season games. They earned the right too, but because of an ugly incident the game will be at Whites Creek High school

I'm pretty sure that is was due to the actions of Maplewood and Stratford. The article explains the whole issue. The Tennessean also has a link to the letters that were sent to both schools from TSSAA.

wow! That is ridiculous! In that case, they should've moved it closer to SH. I just cant believe that, I figured it wasnt true because ive already heard a lot of people complain about maplewood but they were just doing that because of the school's location. I'm sorry, should've believed you. Anyways, hopefully SH can take advantage of this distraction Maplewood has in front of them. I hope all the SH fans show up, I will definetly be there. Go Raiders!!!!!

wow! That is ridiculous! In that case, they should've moved it closer to SH. I just cant believe that, I figured it wasnt true because ive already heard a lot of people complain about maplewood but they were just doing that because of the school's location. I'm sorry, should've believed you. Anyways, hopefully SH can take advantage of this distraction Maplewood has in front of them. I hope all the SH fans show up, I will definetly be there. Go Raiders!!!!!

Before you get too riled up, you should know the fight took place at the GIRLS game. It was a district tournament play-in game and the BOYS team did not even play that night. Apparently, the sanctions came down on Maplewood because the school would not or could not identify the fans that were involved.

It doesn't seem fair that the boys team get penalized for something they had nothing to do with. Penalize the admistration or the coaches or the unruly fans. Do not penalize the players on the boys team.

BTW Maplewood is the real deal. Played them 3 times this year. Wade is a stud player but I think Lee is even better. He made some incredible shots and plays.

Congrats to Marshall County! Good job SH on a great year. We will make it next year. 4 out of 5 starters are sophomores and they are still going to grow and develop. SH did show strong points but Wade is a freak. Dude slammed it down like 7 times. One dunk was an oop that looked something like a 180. Maplewood was stronger, bigger, and had more experience than SH. It was nice for SH to play someone that good so they can learn and use what they learned next year.

Congrats to Marshall County! Good job SH on a great year. We will make it next year. 4 out of 5 starters are sophomores and they are still going to grow and develop. SH did show strong points but Wade is a freak. Dude slammed it down like 7 times. One dunk was an oop that looked something like a 180. Maplewood was stronger, bigger, and had more experience than SH. It was nice for SH to play someone that good so they can learn and use what they learned next year.

How would you compare Marshall County and Maplewood? Who has the better team?

In my opinion, Maplewood is better. I would really like to see how Kedren Johnson would play against Maplewood. Maplewood could definetly out rebound Marshall Co. Maplewood is so athetic and big. Kedren is so poised and can play with the big boys but Maplewood definetly has the better team. Lee and Johnson would be exciting to watch. Kedren loves to drive too so it would be exciting to see how he would adjust his game with a beast like wade in front of him. You were right, they are the real deal. I wonder how they match up with Bolivar, and Liberty.

In my opinion, Maplewood is better. I would really like to see how Kedren Johnson would play against Maplewood. Maplewood could definetly out rebound Marshall Co. Maplewood is so athetic and big. Kedren is so poised and can play with the big boys but Maplewood definetly has the better team. Lee and Johnson would be exciting to watch. Kedren loves to drive too so it would be exciting to see how he would adjust his game with a beast like wade in front of him. You were right, they are the real deal. I wonder how they match up with Bolivar, and Liberty.

I think Maplewood would have to bring their A game to beat Fulton, Bolivar or Liberty. Those 3 seem to be a notch above the others but only a guess. I like Maplewood's chances against the remaining four. As ususal the bracket draw may be key in how far they go. Sounds like Wade had a great game against SH, but Lee was just so-so. Maybe that was due to SH's defense.

Yeah, SH is a good defensive team, but they were so much bigger than us. they killed us with rebounds. SH is a quick team so they did slow lee down a bit but there was no stopping Wade he has hops. SH will be back though. 4 of our starters were sophomores and a few of them will grow and develop, but maplewood is good, but I imagine one of the 3 teams you metioned will take it all.