Coaching Positions

Gopackers

Virtually anyone who can pass a backgroud check can be a middle school coach. TO be a high school coach you have to have either 5 years of coaching assistance or be a teacher.

not exactly true. middle school and high schools have the same rules as far as becoming a head coach if the middle school is part of tmsaa

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icecold is right. If the school is a member of TMSAA and you pass the background check you can be an assistant but not a head coach. At least not on paper anyway. What do y'all think about the Lavergne High job? Is Couey gonna be safe with all the changes that are gonna take place with the new principal(s)?

From everything I hear Couey is trying to leave. I think the key here is if he can find some where to go. If not then he will stay. He is after all a PE teacher. The only PE jobs I have seen open are at middle schools and I doubt he wants to drop down.

As for coaching, there has to be a school faculty member on the bench of every athletic event. However, Oakland Middle is not going to hire a non-faculty member to coach there 1st ever true feeder program. Wright knows too much about basketball to let some AAU coach try to come in and be a volunteer coach at his feeder school. Who are the candidates for the job anyways?

Its not worth arguing over but again to be a middle school coach you do not have to be a teacher. I know of no less than two head middle school coaches (on paper and in action and every way you can think) who are not teachers. I take that back I know of three and one of them does nothing but coach and is the AD and works outside the school. The other two are substitute teachers.

In high school its different. From my understanding you have to teach or have no less than 5 years of experience. I have heard from from multiple sources and read it just last week in the rule book..

Its not worth arguing over but again to be a middle school coach you do not have to be a teacher. I know of no less than two head middle school coaches (on paper and in action and every way you can think) who are not teachers. I take that back I know of three and one of them does nothing but coach and is the AD and works outside the school. The other two are substitute teachers.

In high school its different. From my understanding you have to teach or have no less than 5 years of experience. I have heard from from multiple sources and read it just last week in the rule book..

Again, there has to be a school faculty member on the bench at every athletic event. With that being said, a teacher could "coach" a team but simply sit on the bench and let the volunteer asst coach. In my opinion, Wright will not let this happen nor will the Oakland boosters. This is their first chance at a feeder program, they will surely get someone who knows what it takes to win and actually teach these young kids basketball.

Oakland is not trying to be like Riverdale in regards to Central being their main feeder. At Central they lived on the fact that they had 1000x more talent than everyone else. Then the kids got to Riverdale not knowing anything about how to play at that level, and go 7-21 every year. Won't happen with Oaklands program.

Again if those school sare not in the TMSAA then that may very well be the case. if they are TMSAA they had to have been assistant for 5 years before being a non faulty head coach. just like in high school. Middle schools that are under TMSAA follow the same rules as high schools when it comes to this. Look at Rutherford County for example. All of the basketball coaches in Rutherford COunty teach in their respective schools

http://tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

TSSAA/TMSAA By Laws:

Head coaches in football, basketball, baseball, girl's softball, and track and field must be full time employees or a retired educator. A non-faculty coach may serve as head coach of one of the preceeding sports if they have been an assistant coach at a TSSAA/TMSAA member school for at least 5 yeras and have completed the ASEP Coaches Education Program and completed the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Program.

Contrary to what you believe boroballer, very few Central players go to Riverdale. The majority of their players over the past several years have gone to Siegel and Oakland and those teams seem to be doing just fine. I can only think of 2 that are at Riverdale right now that played at Central. And am certain that only 1 from this years team will be going there. So I wouldn't say the kids coming out of Central weren't well coached. It may just be Riverdale's fault! lol

Contrary to what you believe boroballer, very few Central players go to Riverdale. The majority of their players over the past several years have gone to Siegel and Oakland and those teams seem to be doing just fine. I can only think of 2 that are at Riverdale right now that played at Central. And am certain that only 1 from this years team will be going there. So I wouldn't say the kids coming out of Central weren't well coached. It may just be Riverdale's fault! lol

You are very right on the Riverdale coaching comment. I do believe however that there are more than 2 kids from central that now play for Riverdale. And from watching central play in the past, they should be beating teams by 40 and 50...not 12-15!!!

I can only name Craig and Dale now that the Odom kid has quit. Doesn't mean there's not more but thats all that come to mind. Central has been so depleted over the past several years though. Siegel, Blackman, Christiana, Stewarts Creek, and Rockvale all pulled kids from Central. Im sure they did good this year too but it's not because they're so stacked like in the past when Central was the ONLY middle school.

I can only name Craig and Dale now that the Odom kid has quit. Doesn't mean there's not more but thats all that come to mind. Central has been so depleted over the past several years though. Siegel, Blackman, Christiana, Stewarts Creek, and Rockvale all pulled kids from Central. Im sure they did good this year too but it's not because they're so stacked like in the past when Central was the ONLY middle school.

I wouldnt go as far to say they have been depleted since 04-05 Central has won 3 state sectionals a runner up and at least two semi finals appearances. SOme of the best from the county have still come from there. Craig and Odom were mentioned Gooch came from Siegel and a lot of other kids who quit and focused on football

I'm with you icecold but you have to admit that the talent has been much more spread out. Not that Central didn't have exceptional talent as well but a lot of those kids that play at Riverdale have come from other programs instead of Central and yet they still can't win. Blackman had the same problem and you see what happened to their coach! lol