Petition TSSAA to seed teams

deesnutz

You didn't read my point...they do not seed their own team....they only seed the other 15 teams.

If a coach does not know something about another team in their classification, or cannot find out something about them, then they are not doing something right. I guarantee you that the top teams (coaches) in the state are able to get information almost instantly on a team IF they need to...very poor excuse!

You are right, I missed the part where you said the coach could not rank his own team. Still, that would not solve the problem. I agree that a coach is able to pick up the phone, call another coach at the opposite end of the state, and get a scouting report on a particular team. However, that does not help compare a team like Humbboldt to a team like Wayne County or Oliver Springs. Is a coach going to make fifteen calls, then rank teams based on what another coach says about a particular team? That would never work, and would cause more problems than we already have now by doing a blind draw. What if one coach is more negative than another, and makes Westwood sound worse than Harriman?

I actually like the idea about mixing up the substate matchups each year instead of having region 3 play region 4 each year, for example. The only problem with this would be travel and how much it would cost a school from somwhere like Johnson City to travel and play a team in Memphis. That would be a heck of a drive, not to mention hotel costs. But, this would be the most fair way to do it. The only problem would be how do you determine which regions play each other? Blind draw? Then we are back to what we have now. Also, the regions and substate tournaments are set up so that the state tournament has representation from different parts of the state, which is something I like.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how the Sectionals would have looked like....

Reg.1 Winner - Cloudland

Reg.4 Loser - Red Boiling Springs

Reg.4 Winner - Friendship Christian

Reg.1 Loser - Hampton

Reg.2 Winner - Oliver Springs

Reg.3 Loser - Grace Baptist

Reg.3 Winner - CSAS

Reg.2 Loser - Harriman

Reg.5 Winner - Clarksville Acd.

Reg.8 Loser - City University

Reg.8 Winner - Westwood

Reg.5 Loser - McEwen

Reg.6 Winner - Wayne County

Reg.7 Loser - Union City

Reg.7 Winner - Humboldt

Reg.6 Loser - Summertown

This is how the Sectionals would have looked like....

Reg.1 Winner - Cloudland

Reg.4 Loser - Red Boiling Springs

Reg.4 Winner - Friendship Christian

Reg.1 Loser - Hampton

Reg.2 Winner - Oliver Springs

Reg.3 Loser - Grace Baptist

Reg.3 Winner - CSAS

Reg.2 Loser - Harriman

Reg.5 Winner - Clarksville Acd.

Reg.8 Loser - City University

Reg.8 Winner - Westwood

Reg.5 Loser - McEwen

Reg.6 Winner - Wayne County

Reg.7 Loser - Union City

Reg.7 Winner - Humboldt

Reg.6 Loser - Summertown

It is not a bad idea. But, do you match these regions up every year? Or change it year-after-year? Eventually, a couple regions will get matched up that works out to eliminate some very good teams. I still like the system the way it is, but this suggestion is the best I have seen so far.

or we can just leave it alone. peopel are making this bigger than it really is you make it to the state tournament and everbody has the same rules you have to win 3 games to get the gold ball point blank period. ultimately does it matte "when the two best teams meet" yes last year we would have loved to see manassas and humboldt in the finals but we didnt. the best team on that day won. the only people imo tha have a gripe are the AA schools that play on thursday instead of wednesday. now if TSSAA ever decides to seed the teams then my suggestion would be to pay CoachT and use his strength + success ranking plus the AP should keep doing ranking all the way up until the substate and factor that in as well

or we can just leave it alone. peopel are making this bigger than it really is you make it to the state tournament and everbody has the same rules you have to win 3 games to get the gold ball point blank period. ultimately does it matte "when the two best teams meet" yes last year we would have loved to see manassas and humboldt in the finals but we didnt. the best team on that day won. the only people imo tha have a gripe are the AA schools that play on thursday instead of wednesday. now if TSSAA ever decides to seed the teams then my suggestion would be to pay CoachT and use his strength + success ranking plus the AP should keep doing ranking all the way up until the substate and factor that in as well

Do you think the best 8 teams are in the state tournament this week ??

I agree with IceCold, I like things the way they are. If it was to be changed, I think the best suggestion I have seen so far is the one about changing the matchups between regions for the substate games. However, I personally think things are good the way they are.

I don't think the best 8 teams are at state this week- but that is not the point of the state tournament. The point is to have the best 8 teams from different parts of the state come together to play and determine who is the state champion. By winning your district, region, and substate- you prove you are the best team in your part of the state. Then, you go to the Boro to play the other best teams from their part of the state. You go to state if you are the best from your area. The point is not to have the best 8 overall teams play. If you are good enough to win state, you are good enough to make it out of your district and region. If you don't, you aren't the best team in the state.

I understand where all of this is coming from. Some districts and regions are a lot tougher than others. It is entirely possible that the fourth best team from Humbboldt's district is better than Oliver Springs. However, they weren't good enough to get out of their region- so they don't get to play at state.

I would prefer the 8 best teams in the state make the state tournament, regardless where they are in the state....

I will say this, if I was in Middle or East Tennessee I would want to keep it as is...No doubt...

You are right....Harriman, Oliver Springs and Wayne County would be very hard pressed to finish 4th in 14A..They would have a tough time in 15A and no way would they finish in the top two in 16A...

In this tourney you have 5 good teams, so I guess that's as good to be expected....

Great points from bball1984 and toinemac. I still be believe that some form of seeding would be benefical for the state tournament to prevent two teams from meeting in the first whom the majority considers the odds on favorite to win the state tournament. Wouldn't you agree that for instance last year people would have rather seen Humolt and Manasas in the championship game rather that the first round. These are the matchups that in some way must be prevented if all possible.

Yes, it was unfortunate that Manassas and Humbboldt had to play in the first round last year. However, the point of the state tournament is not to set it up so that the two teams that everyone thinks are the best play in the championship. As someone already said, the point of having the state tournament is to determine the state champion. If you win your games, you will be the state champ. I believe blind draw is the best way to do it, at least at this point in time. I know Humbboldt has had some bad luck with the draw the past two years- but it evens out over time. I guarantee there will be East TN teams upset with their draw in the coming years. In 2006, everyone was on these boards claiming that Humbboldt and Union City were the two best teams in the state in A ball. Then, Grace Baptist beat Humbboldt in the semis before losing to UC in the championship. Just using this as an example of why it is hard to seed teams- no one really knows how certain teams match up or how they compare since they play in different parts of the state. Even when two teams get a good draw, like UC and Humbboldt did that season, it doesn't mean they will meet for the title game. I still say blind draw is the best method we have at this point.

I don't agree with the idea of letting coaches seed teams. I guarantee that CSAS's coach has no idea how good Westwood really is, and vice-versa, since both teams play about six hours apart and have never crossed paths this season. That would not be a good way to do it, not to mention most coaches would end up putting their team first to give themselves an easier draw.

You didn't read my point...they do not seed their own team....they only seed the other 15 teams.

If a coach does not know something about another team in their classification, or cannot find out something about them, then they are not doing something right. I guarantee you that the top teams (coaches) in the state are able to get information almost instantly on a team IF they need to...very poor excuse!

ParisRiverRat....High School basketball games are not on ESPN on Demand....how is a high school coach in Memphis suppose to have enough info on a team(s) in Knoxville to seed them without seeing them play a time or two?? Maybe they can get info on a team from a colleague in that part of the state or even get a tape of a game, but having to seed 15 other teams from across the state in which they probably haven't seen the majority play is way out in left field. Plus you get into a scenario where one coach is scratching another's back if they're close friends....you vote for me, I vote for you kind of thing.....not a good idea. Blind draw still the best solution in current system.

I hate the argument that the 8 best teams arent at state. The fact of the matter is the 8 teams that did what they were supposed to do are now in the Boro and thats win games. Great teams win games when it matters. I dont like the they were better that day argument. Well if they were better that day they were better when it mattered. Tourney games are the only ones the decide who the best is.

bball1984 posted....

"I don't think the best 8 teams are at state this week- but that is not the point of the state tournament. The point is to have the best 8 teams from different parts of the state come together to play and determine who is the state champion. By winning your district, region, and substate- you prove you are the best team in your part of the state. Then, you go to the Boro to play the other best teams from their part of the state. You go to state if you are the best from your area. The point is not to have the best 8 overall teams play. If you are good enough to win state, you are good enough to make it out of your district and region. If you don't, you aren't the best team in the state."

Man, I have never heard it explained this way....I'm going to have to re-think this state tournament thing.... :bored:

"I don't think the best 8 teams are at state this week - but that's not the point of the state tournament."..."The point is not to have the best 8 overall teams play"...Wow...OK..

are the best 65 teams in the NCAA tournament? are the best 16 teams in the nba playoffs each year? are the best 8 teams in the mlb playoffs each year? no unfortunately sometimes good teams get left out. it is what it is in a perfect world the best teams would always be in the playoffs/tournament but unfortunately we dont live in a perfect world. The cream will rise to the top. I guarantee you if we took a poll and ranked the teams from each class the 8th place team willnot win the title in each class, and even if they did that would make for a great story.