Best story of the State Tournament

yankees8589

I'm sure everybody has something or a story that stood out from everything else at the state tournament. Certain teams, players, upsets...ect. I don't think the AA and AAA finals was really a surprise to anyone (I did think C NE would beat White Station). To me the story has to be the Single A title game and CA taking home the gold. Not to overshadow the game itself......but to me the bigger story is Malcom Smith's coming out party as one of the top players in the state regardless of class...his bro is very good in his own right. CA could very well have the top 2 players in single A next season.

Malcom Smith already has a college body and has skills you rarley see at the single A level for a big man. And here is the thing.....he will be better next season. Sure he has things in his game to improve on but that can be said of all players. This kid has real UPSIDE and potential. Oh, and again his bro is good to. Both are D1...at what level remains to be seen. But I think Malcom is the better of the two and has a chance to open some eyes on the circuit this spring andf summer, assuming he plays AAU. The other thing that impressed me about these two is the cool demeanor...and the whole CA team for that matter.

Does anybody know if these 2 kids play AAU? If so what team? I would love to see both hook up with the Nashville Celtics.

Yes Malcolm and Martin play AAU ball For the Middle TN Magic. That team won the 16u super regionals in Atlanta and placed 8th in the AAU nationals in FL. That team is very talented. I tried to get them to play for our team :thumb: , didn't work out. Both young men are very hard workers and you can tell there is something special about them. Both are equally talented in their own unique way and in my opinon both had a coming out party this year.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm biased as well, but I believe MBA's Division II AA State Championship is pretty unbelievable.

In the quarter finals, they had to travel to Memphis and play an MUS team that had a previous victory over Christian Brothers. MBA won by 29.

They head to the final four which consists of three other teams that hold 4 of 5 of MBA's regular season losses. In the semifinal, MBA avenges two regular season losses to Ensworth and wins 84-80. MBA comes from 13 behind for the victory. MBA takes the lead for good on two free throws from Luke Colbert whose promising football career was cut short when he broke his neck against ironically Ensworth.

In the final, MBA takes on Christian Brothers who holds the largest regular season margin of victory (13) over the Big Red. Like all of the state tournament games, MBA received great play from all of its players but it was especially great to see Co-captain and Mr. Basketball finalist Holden Mobley earn all tournament and MVP recognition. MBA's other co-captain Tyler Paslick earned all-tournament for his timely shooting and great ball handling but most importantly for his shut down defense on All-Region Corn Elder and All-tournament and Mr. Basketball finalist Frankie Bougher.

MBA basketball is back. They have returning all-tournament David Howard and All-Region Austin Blackwell. They have a lot of talent to go along with them. I'm sure they will be one of the favorites to win it next year.

I think the best story of the tourney was Bearden's coach wearing the jersey during the game with Melrose to honor one of his former players that had passed away on Tuesday. The player was Mic Dearstone and he was a member of Bearden's 97 team I believe. His dad is the voice of Lady Vols Basketball and a morning sports anchor on the radio. Great story and tribute....

I agree with you 100%. It just goes to show that Blevins is more than a coach on the court, but that he truly cares for each and every one of his players that he has coached since the 1994. Mic was a great guy. He graduated in 1996 and was a SR on a team that made two state tournament apperances in both his SO and JR years. I will always remember Mic, for hitting a 3 pointer at the buzzer from the hash mark in front of the Bearden bench to beat Karns his SR year. It was an amazing shot, that I will never forget. Mic, you will be missed and you did great things.