IB Program?

diggerdog

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is an IB program for? If you don't start taking IB classes until the junior year of high school then why do kids go to that school as freshman and not juniors?

Stands for International Baccalaureatte. It is a program that attempts to meet international standards for education and a school can be an IB school and also offer IB courses much like AP courses. While you may not take the classes as a junior, class structure and preparation in lower level classes are designed for those classes. The school I was at in N.C. was an IB school. You can get more information at http://www.ibo.org/

Coach Shoe

What exactly is an IB program for? If you don't start taking IB classes until the junior year of high school then why do kids go to that school as freshman and not juniors?

Stands for International Baccalaureatte. It is a program that attempts to meet international standards for education and a school can be an IB school and also offer IB courses much like AP courses. While you may not take the classes as a junior, class structure and preparation in lower level classes are designed for those classes. The school I was at in N.C. was an IB school. You can get more information at http://www.ibo.org/

Coach Shoe

OK thanks. Just wondering because there sure seems to be lot's of talk about how that is used to get kids to playing sports out of thier zoned school so just wondering what the heck it is.

IB is divided into three sections. PYP for grades 1 - 5. MYP is for grades 6 - 10. And the DP program is for grades 11 - 12. If a parent has an opportunity to place their kids in the Diploma Program I would highly recommend it. The requirements and expectations of a DP student are extremely high and to suggest players are transferring to these schools for athletic purposes is highly suspect.

Coach Shoe

By the way. Did your school in NC take advantage to let athletes know about the program?

IB is divided into three sections. PYP for grades 1 - 5. MYP is for grades 6 - 10. And the DP program is for grades 11 - 12. If a parent has an opportunity to place their kids in the Diploma Program I would highly recommend it. The requirements and expectations of a DP student are extremely high and to suggest players are transferring to these schools for athletic purposes is highly suspect.

You don't think coaches get the word out to athletes they know about that are zoned to another school but tell them about the IB progarm as a way to come to that school.

You don't think coaches get the word out to athletes they know about that are zoned to another school but tell them about the IB progarm as a way to come to that school.

As a parent I would say that the transfer would not be for athletic purposes. If they enrolled in the IB program then no problem. If they are enrolled in regular classes then there is a problem. That is for TSSAA to decide. They are receiving something not offered at their school. It would be classified for educational purposes.

Actually it is not a TSSAA problem. It is an ethics problem at the school that allows it to happen. The TSSAA is a self-governing body. That means that we as educators have to decide if what we do is right or wrong. There are some that do wrong and can live with it. That is a sad indication of who runs those schools. :?:

Actually it is not a TSSAA problem. It is an ethics problem at the school that allows it to happen. The TSSAA is a self-governing body. That means that we as educators have to decide if what we do is right or wrong. There are some that do wrong and can live with it. That is a sad indication of who runs those schools. :thumb:

Good post. There are some TSSAA rules that probably cover this and it is a fine line if they are being followed. Look especially at rule #3. There are a few questions that I keep hearing people talk about and I don't really know the answers but they seem like fair questions. How do 8th grades know about an academic program that starts in the 11th grade? If it is really about academics then why do they not go to a magnet school like the one that just opened in Rutherford County? How many kids in these schools that are open enrollment or IB programs are playing sports when zoned for other schools? What percentage of the players at these schools are not zoned for the school versus are zoned?

A. Examples of influence for athletic purposes may include, but are not limited to:

1. Offers of or acceptance of any special privileges not afforded to other students, whether athletes

or not.

2. Offers of financial aid based on need to any prospective student-athlete by any member of the

coaching staff. All financial aid questions should be referred to the principal or person in charge

of financial aid.

3. Inducing or attempting to induce or encourage any prospective student-athlete to attend any

member school for the purpose of participating in athletics even when the special remuneration or

inducement is not given.

By the way. Did your school in NC take advantage to let athletes know about the program?

I can't think of a single player I coached coming to Cedar Ridge for the IB program. I can remember a couple of Cross Country runners who were big in IB, but that was about it. Is it a recruiting tool? Not for athletics, but for the school overall. Seem to remember a lot of band kids there because of IB.

Coach Shoe

Here's the deal on the IB program...and trust me on this...I have a son in the IB program, he plays baseball, and he attends the school he's zoned for.

The IB program starts the freshman year. Each class is designed to lead into the junior year when IB-specific classes start. Think of it as attending college. While your junior & senior year consisted mostly of classes that were directly related to your major - or degree - the freshman & sophomore classes were courses of basic study that satisfied degree requirements. The IB program is similar to this. Every class taken has a purpose and is designed to meet requirements both for the IB program and the state of Tennessee.

And, don't confuse magnet schools with the IB program. Magnet schools may emphasize math or science, while IB program includes all areas of study as well as a community service requirement, creative (or arts) emphasis, and an activity requirement (which a sport would satisfy). During the senior year, a significant research paper is completed and sent away to be approved by the IB program. Basically, it's a more intense and rigorous course of study -very much like college. A majority of colleges recognize the IB diploma, which translates into significant scholarship monies.

In other words, if a student finishes the IB program, he can pretty much choose the college he wants to attend, i.e., Harvard, Vanderbilt, etc.

So, I ask you...if a parent has a child who is an advanced student going into 9th grade, would you not give them the option to excel in academics with the opportunity to go on to a well-respected university?

From what I see and hear, the kids going into the IB program in Rutherford County are doing it because of academics...not as a loophole to play baseball. Why is there no one complaining about kids who play soccer, golf, basketball or football?

Digger...Bottom line...quit your whining. Creating rumors, questioning character, and attacking programs is pathetic and immature. You should be happy that the IB program exists in Rutherford County for the opportunity it gives our kids as well as making our community an attractive place to live. It is what it is. If a kid wants to get an exceptional education and play a sport while doing it, then he/she has every right to do it.

I don't know digger or southpaw, but I can tell you this is definitely being discussed at baseball fields in Rutherford County. Players and parents are discussing the possibility of starting Oakland in the 9th grade "to participate in the IB program" and coincidentally to also play baseball. Since the serious IB classes don't start until junior year, the student/player establishes himself at Oakland and then quietly drops out of the IB program later. I definitely don't support this idea and I wouldn't do it, but it does bring up some valid questions.