State Champ Mary Alice Murphy To Sign With Mercer

bbb

TSSAA state golf champion Mary Alice Murphy of GPS has committed to signing a golf scholarship with Mercer University on Wed. April 14, the first day of the spring signing period.

Murphy, a Lookout Mountain resident, was a four-year starter (played No. 1 as a junior and senior) for the Bruisers and finished in the top 15 in the state tournament the past three years, placing 12th-7th-1st (2007-08-09), respectively.

She is the second GPS athlete to win the state golf title, following fellow Lookout Mountain native Charlotte Grant who claimed the inaugural girls state championship in 1975.

Murphy shot a 1-over-par 147 (73-74) to claim the D-II AA state tournament medalist honors last fall at the Old For course in Murfreesboro, defeating state runner-up Kaleigh Toole of Baylor by three shots.

Mercer varsity teams compete at the NCAA D-I level and the Bears are a member of the Atlantic-Sun Conference. Mercer, located in Macon, is the only private D-I school in the state of Georgia.

“I am excited about playing college golf next year and one of my goals is to be an NCAA qualifier like my dad,’’ said Murphy who plans to play in the Women’s Southern Amateur at the Lookout Mountain Golf Club, May 31-June 4.

Former Women's Southern Amateur Champion Betty Probasco said, "Mary Alice has a strong work ethic and I wish her well in her college career.''

The GPS senior is the fourth member of her family to sign a college scholarship following her father, Pat, who wrestled at Tennessee at Chattanooga, and her mother, Mary Margaret Lawwill Murphy, who played tennis at Alabama, 1984-86.

Pat was a two-time state champion at Hixson (1978-79), a four-time Southern Conference champ (1980-1983) and four-time NCAA qualifier for the Mocs.

Mary Margaret, who won 52 straight singles matches at No. 5 for the Tide, was a member of the 1982 GPS state tennis champions and played No. 1 doubles with Elizabeth Donnovin as a senior in 1983.

Mary Alice’s uncle, Stewart Lawwill, played tennis at UTC where he was a Southern Conference champion in singles (No. 4 and 5) and No. 1 doubles in 1983.

He also won a USTA Men’s 35s national indoor doubles title in 1998 with current Baylor coach Ned Caswell.

Quotes

GPS Golf Coach Ryan Lindsey Kopet

“An athlete has to choose someone to believe in. It had better be herself.”- Dr. Bob Rotella, Sports Psychologist

‘’That statement is Mary Alice in a nutshell. Her determination, confidence and spirit have grown tremendously over the past four years and I know that in an environment such as Mercer these traits will continue to flourish.

‘’She should be very proud of her accomplishments. Not just on the course but in the classroom – something that most people will overlook about Mary Alice. When you see talent such as Mary Alice’s in a sport it is easy for one to forget all the hard work that goes into other areas of her life.

‘’She is diligent in her difficult coursework at GPS and sets her academic success as her number one priority. She makes time, too, to give back to golf. She has spent past summers working at the junior golf program First Tee and I believe she will do the same this coming summer.’’

Murphy Facts: Mary Alice’s career low round is 69 at Black Creek in Lookout Valley … her mother plans to caddy for her in spring and summer tournaments as Mary Alice has a goal of qualifying for the U.S. Open.

• 3 months later...

TSSAA state golf champion Mary Alice Murphy of GPS has committed to signing a golf scholarship with Mercer University on Wed. April 14, the first day of the spring signing period.

Murphy, a Lookout Mountain resident, was a four-year starter (played No. 1 as a junior and senior) for the Bruisers and finished in the top 15 in the state tournament the past three years, placing 12th-7th-1st (2007-08-09), respectively.

She is the second GPS athlete to win the state golf title, following fellow Lookout Mountain native Charlotte Grant who claimed the inaugural girls state championship in 1975.

Murphy shot a 1-over-par 147 (73-74) to claim the D-II AA state tournament medalist honors last fall at the Old For course in Murfreesboro, defeating state runner-up Kaleigh Toole of Baylor by three shots.

Mercer varsity teams compete at the NCAA D-I level and the Bears are a member of the Atlantic-Sun Conference. Mercer, located in Macon, is the only private D-I school in the state of Georgia.

�I am excited about playing college golf next year and one of my goals is to be an NCAA qualifier like my dad,�� said Murphy who plans to play in the Women�s Southern Amateur at the Lookout Mountain Golf Club, May 31-June 4.

Former Women's Southern Amateur Champion Betty Probasco said, "Mary Alice has a strong work ethic and I wish her well in her college career.''

The GPS senior is the fourth member of her family to sign a college scholarship following her father, Pat, who wrestled at Tennessee at Chattanooga, and her mother, Mary Margaret Lawwill Murphy, who played tennis at Alabama, 1984-86.

Pat was a two-time state champion at Hixson (1978-79), a four-time Southern Conference champ (1980-1983) and four-time NCAA qualifier for the Mocs.

Mary Margaret, who won 52 straight singles matches at No. 5 for the Tide, was a member of the 1982 GPS state tennis champions and played No. 1 doubles with Elizabeth Donnovin as a senior in 1983.

Mary Alice�s uncle, Stewart Lawwill, played tennis at UTC where he was a Southern Conference champion in singles (No. 4 and 5) and No. 1 doubles in 1983.

He also won a USTA Men�s 35s national indoor doubles title in 1998 with current Baylor coach Ned Caswell.

Quotes

GPS Golf Coach Ryan Lindsey Kopet

�An athlete has to choose someone to believe in. It had better be herself.�- Dr. Bob Rotella, Sports Psychologist

��That statement is Mary Alice in a nutshell. Her determination, confidence and spirit have grown tremendously over the past four years and I know that in an environment such as Mercer these traits will continue to flourish.

��She should be very proud of her accomplishments. Not just on the course but in the classroom � something that most people will overlook about Mary Alice. When you see talent such as Mary Alice�s in a sport it is easy for one to forget all the hard work that goes into other areas of her life.

��She is diligent in her difficult coursework at GPS and sets her academic success as her number one priority. She makes time, too, to give back to golf. She has spent past summers working at the junior golf program First Tee and I believe she will do the same this coming summer.��

Murphy Facts: Mary Alice�s career low round is 69 at Black Creek in Lookout Valley � her mother plans to caddy for her in spring and summer tournaments as Mary Alice has a goal of qualifying for the U.S. Open.

THANK YOU MR MURPHY

Edited by Canesoverhere

• 2 weeks later...