Seymour vs. Morristown

soccerrules59

Could someone please shed some light on how many ref's are to be at a district game. There was 1 line and 1 center. The ref's actually let the players call 2 goals on the Morristown team and admitted after the game that Seymour did have another goal. One goal that was given to Morristown that was actually stopped by the Seymour keeper. Seymour had a goal in 2 times and did not count. The score ended Morristown 4 and Seymour 3, but it should have been Seymour 4 and Morristown 3. This is tough when boys play so hard to win and have to play against 13. I hope these 2 ref's can lay down and sleep tonight after the way they called this game.

Video of the winning goal given to Morristown West, giving them the win 4-3.

Goal or not? Seymour should have had this win 4-3.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seymour-Eagles-Soccer-2010/105626059469467?ref=nf#!/video/video.php?v=1391987368773&ref=mf

For those interested, and not on Facebook, here is the YouTube link of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shssoccer20 ... 0EbRtYSc0s

How about Seymour's photographer?! Good stuff!

Look, this was a very unfortunate situation for everyone involved in this game (players, coaches, fans, referees). The referee who was scheduled to do the center for this game "called in sick". All I can do is trust that this was the case and assume he couldn't even get out of bed. That being said, I personally have never seen another high school sport, other than soccer, where the game can take place as normal with one less official. In all honesty, especially at the high school level, soccer struggles with just 3 referees (they have to cover a lot of ground). I do not have the solution to this problem. But I will say this: we have come to accept the 2 referee system as a normal aspect of the season - especially in the outlying areas. I wonder what would happen in the "District of Death" if a referee "called in sick"?

As you can tell from the photo, the ball is obviously across the line. During the game, the referee who was working that half of the field, was standing closer to the half line than the goal line. He initially called it a goal - and a Morristown-West defender even picked up the ball and punted to half field in disgust of the goal. Then, all of the sudden, the referee made his way toward the goal line to look at (where he thought the ball was? I really don't know what he was doing.) He then had a brief discussion with ref #2 who was on the other half of the field, and restarted play with a drop-ball.

As for the disputed Morristown-West goal: I have not been able to see the video yet, as youtube is blocked where I am. Watching live, I could not judge for myself as to whether or not the ball crossed the line. The referee told our captain after the game that he (the referee) was wrong.

As I said, this is an unfortunate situation, especially for the players. Both sides were trying to play their game, and play it to the best of their abilities, and unfortunately they were having to deal with this circumstance at the same time. Coach Bradley and his coaches and players are a class act and I am not forgetting that they had to deal with the situation just as we did. It is just unfortunate that the result of the game was decided in this manner.

And I know it's coming, so I'll go ahead and address it: I know these referees have a thankless job and there are not enough of them in the area. It is a job that I probably would not like and I see how tough it can be for them. But when a group of young men work their butts off for something and feel like they get it taken away from them, it's a hard pill to swallow. I'm not trying to ridicule anyone in this situation, I just think it should be addressed in some manner (especially given the evidence). Again, I don't have the solution to the problem, but in the future, I will avoid having only 2 refs at all costs.

How unfortunate.The game should be replayed.I would hate to be the winner or loser in this one.Maybe justice will prevail at tournament time!

As I said, this is an unfortunate situation, especially for the players. Both sides were trying to play their game, and play it to the best of their abilities, and unfortunately they were having to deal with this circumstance at the same time. Coach Bradley and his coaches and players are a class act and I am not forgetting that they had to deal with the situation just as we did. It is just unfortunate that the result of the game was decided in this manner.

And I know it's coming, so I'll go ahead and address it: I know these referees have a thankless job and there are not enough of them in the area. It is a job that I probably would not like and I see how tough it can be for them. But when a group of young men work their butts off for something and feel like they get it taken away from them, it's a hard pill to swallow. I'm not trying to ridicule anyone in this situation, I just think it should be addressed in some manner (especially given the evidence). Again, I don't have the solution to the problem, but in the future, I will avoid having only 2 refs at all costs.

Well said Arsie7. Top notch and good class.

Arsie, I think your post touches all the bases. I know how frustrating this must be. Can someone clarify if they only had 2, was there a center and a AR on the side or did they run a dual? Not that it matters at this point. Just curious. It is very unfortunate in our sport how subjective many calls are and I know there has been a lot of frustration over inconsistency even inside a single match this season. But the refs are spread thin and are short handed. This really makes you appreciate the great officials when you get them. Unfortunately, this outcome has an effect on seeding for post season, but hopefully these 2 will meet back up and can settle it on the field. Good Luck to both of your teams. I hated reading about this.

Can someone clarify if they only had 2, was there a center and a AR on the side or did they run a dual? Not that it matters at this point. Just curious.

They ran a dual. LOL, I would question my career choice if they had run just 1 center and 1 sideline AR. Either that or I would have concluded it was all a dream - a nightmare, really.

Without question, that sure looked like a tough call. But, if you hang around long enough these things have a tendency to even themselves out. That may not help much at the time but...

I remember several years ago when Carter was playing at Seymour. Score was tied and the game was in stoppage time. Carter was awared a PK...the player made the shot but the ref determined that another Carter player had stepped into the penalty area early. But, instead of giving the player another shot (which is the correct call) he gave Seymour a goal kick. The game ended about a minute later still tied. The only point here is that sometimes we get calls that go our way and then there are times like these...and they hurt.

But, these type calls seem to hurt more than a call going our way seems to help. Hopefully as our sport continues to grow so will the training of our referees. And that is where I think the problem lies...we need more and better training and better evaluations of refs. But until we have plenty of folks willing to do this THANKLESS job then we have to accept whoever is willing to do it. And I sure am glad we have them, it would be difficult to play without them.

Well, that is my opinion...and my opinon and a $1.00 will not even buy you a cup of coffee. :lol:

Oh, didn't realize it was dual ref's on the field. The gray headed ref was on the side, he only came out to talk over certain plays and that was when the goals got taken away or given. I would not want to ref a soccer game. It has to be one of the hardest games to keep up with. But the players don't see it that way when they play so hard. But looking at the video Seymour clearly scored the goal. The keeper for MTW was on the ground and the ball was at his back.

Seymour you played a great game, keep your heads up high. MTW knows you were there.