Time to bring up the 'Powers/Limbaugh' plan again...

davidlimbaugh

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is, Riverside has been on the good end of several lopsided scores the last 2 years and our ace hasn't pitched much at all. The biggest problem is the weak single A teams from East Tn. Our 4th and 5th place teams the last couple of years have been harder to beat than some of the East Tn teams. If the level of play gets better across the state, the scores will be more even. Maybe this is the year...

Edited by Pantherfan66

I love the way Alabama does it. Not everyone makes the postseason so you don't have near as many teams which allows every round to be a 3 game series. The best teams advance not the ones with the best ace.

Being from Alabama, I know that well. But keep in mind Alabama, especially the lower half, is a little warmer in the early months that we are. They were allowed to play their first game this year on February 21st, earlier than here in Tennessee. Their post-season began April 22nd. A seven week season, just like here in Tennessee. But in Alabama, there are no district tournaments. Regular season means more because, like UT this year, once you are eliminated mathematically, you are eliminated....

Here is this year's 6A bracket in Alabama:

Alabama 6A Baseball Tournament Bracket

I think one of the big issues is time as by the time the Spring Fling is here you have 1 or 2 weeks of school left at best and they are trying to push it through. There are just not enough days. If there were enough time then double elimination at regional or substate would be ok. The other factor is rest for your pitchers, if you jam to many games together they are going to be asked to pitch on 3 days rest and even the best teams are rarely more than 3 true starters deep, most have maybe 2. This will begin to catch up by the time you get into State which is where I feel if you're going to have double elimination is the proper place. If your top two pitchers have tired arms then you're really not seeing the best baseball. I agree with the comment on districts. You have some districts that are loaded and some that have one good team and there are some that have 8 teams and some as few as 4 teams. Overall record can be deceiving as well sometimes as some teams play out of class quite often to face better competition. It is what it is, if you had a couple more weeks it would help.

I think one of the big issues is time as by the time the Spring Fling is here you have 1 or 2 weeks of school left at best and they are trying to push it through. There are just not enough days. If there were enough time then double elimination at regional or substate would be ok. The other factor is rest for your pitchers, if you jam to many games together they are going to be asked to pitch on 3 days rest and even the best teams are rarely more than 3 true starters deep, most have maybe 2. This will begin to catch up by the time you get into State which is where I feel if you're going to have double elimination is the proper place. If your top two pitchers have tired arms then you're really not seeing the best baseball. I agree with the comment on districts. You have some districts that are loaded and some that have one good team and there are some that have 8 teams and some as few as 4 teams. Overall record can be deceiving as well sometimes as some teams play out of class quite often to face better competition. It is what it is, if you had a couple more weeks it would help.

Disagree. All in our Region finished district on Wednesday. Substate isn't until next Friday. That is 10 days to finish a 4 team double elim. Easy. If you want to include the substate game, that is a full 12 days. And...we could have easily started the district tournament 2 days earlier as no games were played anyway.

Your point about pitching is my point about the team, not just 1-2 top pitchers that you pitch every game.

Disagree. All in our Region finished district on Wednesday. Substate isn't until next Friday. That is 10 days to finish a 4 team double elim. Easy. If you want to include the substate game, that is a full 12 days. And...we could have easily started the district tournament 2 days earlier as no games were played anyway.

Your point about pitching is my point about the team, not just 1-2 top pitchers that you pitch every game.

Problem is, you always have to figure in extra days in case of rain. This year everyone got done on time, some years you barely squeeze'em in.